Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder & Butt - Part 2

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
20001105053900.jpg
<p />I got lucky again last night - when I wen to bed the dome temperature was at 240 degrees and when I got up this morning it was at about 230 degrees - The internal temperature is sitting (since about 4:30am) at 170 degrees - the butt is the one with the polder probe. The shoulder started out a little larger - noe they are about the same size. [p]Life is GOOD! :~}
[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I'm not so sure that maintaining temperature overnight is a function of luck. I tend to believe that it's more a function of the capabilities of the Egg and the fire building experience of the cook that drive the "luck". I'm sure your feast will keep the bellies happy.[p]Puj
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Gfw,
    I have read over many months how, you and others put disappearing mustard on butts and other cuts. My wife dislikes a strong mustard flavor. Stating that I have some questions. What type or brand of mustard is being used? Discribe for us the resulting flavor from the mustard. How much mustard is used? Will my wife kick me out the door if I use it? Or send me to Pizza Hut?
    Fireball

• Gfw
    Options
    Puj, you might be right - after listening to the forum members and reading the various posts, I have adopted a pattern to my low/slow cooks on my medium egg. [p]Start fresh or at least make sure the grate is clear. Use small pieces of lump (save the large ones for high/fast) and fill to the top of the fire box. Finally, I start the fire (using starter cubes) from the top on oppsite sides - seems to work. Have a great day! :~}

• Gfw
    Options
    Fireball, I use regular old Frenches mustard and slather ity on all sides - if you review the first "Shoulder & Butt" picture you'll get an idea - there was actually a lot more but after marinating in the mustard for about 18 hours, and being pulled from a plastic bag, the picture shows what was left.[p]As for the mustard taste - there isn't any taste. The mustard helps to tenderize and the actual flavor disappears in the cook. Give it a try. Next time do 2 smaller butts - cover one with mustard and do the other as you normally would - if you use a rub, use on both. :~}

• Fireball
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thank you for the information. Just one more thing, am I right apply the rub before you marinate it in mustard? I think I need a digital camera.
    Fireball

• Gfw
    Options
    Fireball, I've done the rub before, after and both before and after - this time I just used a little Memphis-Style rub under the mustard and a little Kosher salt and ground black pepper just before popping on the BGE.[p]I almost bought a new digital about two weeks ago - the 3.3 mega pixel sounded great - until I saw that the 6 mega pixel cameras (JVC has one out) were on their way. I talked to a guy in a camera shop in San Francisco and he said that the 6 mega pixel would be at least comparable to the resolution of a 35mm SLR - combine higher resolution with the new IBM 1Gb micro drive (Casio uses the 350mb version) and the digital cameras will really take off - I'm waiting![p]Have a great day :~}

• Fireball
    Options
    Gfw,
    I want, but I am also waiting for greater resolution. I love black and white photography. I use and Rolleiflex that gives me an two and one quarter inch square negative for enlargement. I prefer the resolution of the larger format to that of an 35mm SLR. Technology will bring it to be. The 1Gb micro drive sounds promising. Thanks for the update.
    Fireball