Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye Round Roast?

Options
So the wife picked up this thing in the grocery store and the other day said, 'You wanna Egg something? Here ya go'. I was looking at a 3.3lb Eye Round Roast (aka Oven Roast according to the sticker). Anywho, I can tell this wasn't gonna be your ordinary roast with potatoes and carrots. This joker was pretty solid.

Never dealing with one before, I decided to take my changes and just do it. Seasoned it withe some EVOO, S&P, Garlic, and Dizzy Pig Cowlick. Got the Egg at 250ish with a nice chuck of apple wood and let'er go for about 3 1/2 hours and the IT got to 150, so I pulled it and foiled it for a while. Added some plain ole sides of green beans, mashed potatoes, and some grands biscuits.

Turned out OK I guess. Had a really nice smoke flavor. Just slightly dry but not too bad. Has anyone every egged one of these things? Maybe I should have injected it?

Comments

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Just did one.  Best roast beef sammiches I've ever had!   Indirect til 130.  Sliced very thin.  
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    I just recently looked at a slicer.. Will definitely have to get one of those soon.. Nice beef ya got. And I should have pulled mine faster but really didnt think it would hit that temp so quickly.
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Next to my thermapen my slicer is my second best accessory for my egg. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The more you cook those the worse they taste.  About 130 is ideal.  And cook as low and slow as you can.  Don't try anything heroic like a reverse sear.  Roast beast sammiches are delicious.  Or with gravy.
    Options
    Well I will have to admit that some umm.. beer was involved so I 'may' have misjudged the timing on it. I figured at least 3 1/2 to get it to 'medium', but I was wrong.I will definitely remember next time. There arent that expensicve to try again :) Over all, it was really good.

I have a Thermapen already, so imma have to ask for a slicer for Christmas or something. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    150 and further foiling is what did it. You were probably at 160-165. 

No moisture is gonna survive that. Gotta stay around 135, and maybe ten degrees either side of that depending on taste. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mom cooks eye round to about 1000°. Dry as hell, but it's still good! Personally, I do what marysvilleegger suggests. Rare and thin. A good slicer is real handy! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Zarcon
    Everone has their on tastes and preferences. But with that said, I prefer to pull them in the low 120's. In my opinion, when it comes to round, rare and thinly sliced is the way to go. The thinner the better. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Good cut for jerky.
  • Zarcon
    Options
    @SGHOh I agree. I didn't plan on it getting that temp. I was shooting for the 130 range, maybe even lower.

I should clarify that when I foiled it, it was just long enough to get the plates ready. Maybe 25-30 minutes max. A slicer would have come in handy many of times, so it will be on the 'gotta have it' list.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You dont want to foil a roast at all. It actually needs to cool a bit or the juice will end up on the cutting board

a half hour in foil is another half hour cooking
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Zarcon said:
    Well I will have to admit that some umm.. beer was involved so I 'may' have misjudged the timing on it. I figured at least 3 1/2 to get it to 'medium', but I was wrong.I will definitely remember next time. There arent that expensicve to try again :) Over all, it was really good.

I have a Thermapen already, so imma have to ask for a slicer for Christmas or something. 
    When you said 3 1/2 if that was beer timing just drink faster!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Zarcon said:
     A slicer would have come in handy many of times, so it will be on the 'gotta have it' list.
    A slicer is one of those things that really make life simpler my friend. It comes in handy for several things. I have always been decent with a knife, but a slicer just simply can't be matched for volume nor precision. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Zarcon
    Options
    @td66snrf - Oh no.. there were plenty consumed in 3 1/2 hours* :D
  • Zarcon
    Options
    @SGH agreed. The only issue I can possible see is the wifey saying 'Didn't we just buy you a boat, a bar, new desk for your office, a new side-by-side fridge just for your beers, new house, etc. etc'.. haha
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Problem with slicers, in my drunken cooking journey, is the cleanup is a ****.
    Options
    SUI - Slicing under the influence.. Cant be good
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Get these as rare as you can on low and slow. I seasoned the heck out of mine. Awesome sammies. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good cut for jerky.
    +1, minimum fat pockets that could turn rancid.

Also used it once for carpaccio and came out nice... second attempt has been drying in the fridge since canuck thanksgiving.
    canuckland
  • chrisc133
    Options
    any recommendations for a good reasonably priced slicer?

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    below 300 dome, 125 max internal, chill and slice for deli beef. or, 400 dome direct, 120 internal, rest and slice thin for hot pit beef sandwiches. these can be done low and slow or hot but pay attention to temps. thin and rare is key. when you get to medium and past you cant make salt stick to it (moms recipe) =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it