Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What's Your Latest Milestone?

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    YukonRon said:

YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    @Acn it won the tournament. Laetner's shot was not even guarded, nor was the in bound pass. Pitino hall of fame coach - BS!
    Laettner had a guy on him. He made a move to shake the defender, and then hit the turnaround jumper. As for the inbound not being guarded - this was a length of the court pass. You can put the entire team on the baseline if you want, and Grant Hill still gets that pass into Laettner. It's not like the guys on the baseline can mug the guy making an inbounds pass, never mind a baseball toss.

It's too bad Kentucky fans just can't accept that this game, and it was really a great one on both sides, just came down to a great play at the end.
    Dream on. Pelphrey was guarding Laetner, and he has acknowledged he was told not to make any contact to avoid the foul. He even said he didn't defend the shot. It was nothing more than an uncontested free throw.
    great game no doubt, krywifhvcfjueyivky out coached Pitino. Greatest shot ever? Na.
    No one said greatest shot, it was the greatest play, considering the context of the situation.
    Greatest play was Anthony Davis blocking the final tarheel shot in Rupp.
    hurtling all the way across the floor through several moving picks leaping at the last second to swat what might have been the winning shot into loserville row 3 aisles back. "Cleanup in aisle 4"
    It's good to see you thinking Kentucky beating the greatest college program that also had the greatest coach ever is the best play.

It shows a lot of respect to the most elite, especially since they play in the same conference as Duke, which also happens to be the best conference ever.
    That would be too easy. It is good you have hopes and dreams, and the fantasy world in which you live has got to be a beautiful place even if it is in your own mind.
    You really need to stop gargling with the bong water. Just set the bong down and slowly back away.
    The greatest program ever, by any measure anyone could use, defines college basketball as we know it today. The barometer is the University of Kentucky, the rest of college basket ball can only hope, one day, to be able speak to others, and say "Us too" when compared to the greatest tradition in all of sports, and not be laughed out of the room.
    It is impossible to be humble, when you represent the University of Kentucky, the number one team in all of college basketball in victories.
    When your teams grow up, they may have a chance to be like us, until then, play in your little conference, and have fun. We will continue to do all the work.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    SGH said:

Well and those who happened to catch a Hurricane in New Orleans, or had their retirement in the stock market around 2008, or were part of a useless land war in Asia.  But... I digress...

Scotty what exactly do you think changed after Obama's election, policy-wise, that suddenly made you have to keep working?  Taxes really haven't been raised, not significantly, except on the ultra wealthy.  
    You are suggesting that Bush caused people to put themselves in a predictably bad situation and that the current administrations policies are the same as the ones you hated? Hmmm
    I'll just suggest you don't know how to read.
    Oh damn it, you got me again. Genius. 
  • @YukonRon - I am trying not to laugh at all of that, but it is really, really hard.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Hit 7 years last month with my wife and 2.5 years at my job last week.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I seem to remember thereading was a global financial crisis that came to a head in 2007-2008.  Hmmmmm
    Whatever you do don't examine the cause of the collapse. Just examine the period of time in which it happened. 
    I have read extensively on it.  And while it happened at the ass-end of a two term Republican presidency, I'm not so naive to suggest no democrats are culpable.   I think you should read up on it, my friend.  If you have something of substance to say, I would love to hear it.

But moving forward, the transportation bill has a certain group of people doomed to repeat the history over and over again by removing  "tighter regulations that were imposed on banks with at least $50 billion in assets after the 2008 financial crisis."

Also they are "are aiming to weaken the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau  which has worked to prevent big banks, payday lenders and other financial firms from ripping off households".

What caused the financial crisis?  I have a good idea based on a myriad of information I've read, from economists and non-partisan sources, but, I'd like to hear your version of it.  Have a good day, sir.

TN_Egger said:
    Did somebody bring up Duke?  Didja see Miami vs. Duke this weekend?
    @TN_Egger, yes I did unfortunately see that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I take my greatest milestone is that I NO LONGER get involved in political discussions on a BBQ forum. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Foghorn said:
    TN_Egger said:
    Did somebody bring up Duke?  Didja see Miami vs. Duke this weekend?
    @TN_Egger, yes I did unfortunately see that.
    Craziest ending to a game I've ever seen.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Politics and basketball......I'm not even going to say it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    "Basketics"?  "Poliball"?
    Sold my 20th hat to Japan yesterday. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @YukonRon

Bless your heart!

Greatest tradition in sports? Try again, as Army vs Navy blows everyone else away 7 days a week. Keep telling me about all that "real work" the Ashley Judds do in a football conference. You sound like a Michigan fan with that total victories thing. Drugz R bad, mmkay?

LOL! There is a reason the sky is Carolina blue.

;) 
  • pgprescott
    I seem to remember thereading was a global financial crisis that came to a head in 2007-2008.  Hmmmmm
    Whatever you do don't examine the cause of the collapse. Just examine the period of time in which it happened. 
    I have read extensively on it.  And while it happened at the ass-end of a two term Republican presidency, I'm not so naive to suggest no democrats are culpable.   I think you should read up on it, my friend.  If you have something of substance to say, I would love to hear it.

But moving forward, the transportation bill has a certain group of people doomed to repeat the history over and over again by removing  "tighter regulations that were imposed on banks with at least $50 billion in assets after the 2008 financial crisis."

Also they are "are aiming to weaken the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau  which has worked to prevent big banks, payday lenders and other financial firms from ripping off households".

What caused the financial crisis?  I have a good idea based on a myriad of information I've read, from economists and non-partisan sources, but, I'd like to hear your version of it.  Have a good day, sir.

I will oversimplify by just suggesting that among many contributing factors was the repeated act of grossly irresponsible lending practices that were not only encouraged by the Feds but often at risk of punishment if they did not comply. Greed, of course. The practice of lending people money without having properly demonstrated the ability to save or to repay the monies was once again as noble in its intent as it was niave. We have a very similar situation with our higher education system that has been going on for a long time and is inevitably unsustainable. It too will burst and financial pain will follow for the middle class and working people by in large. Your cost for education is getting really close to "not worth it". That is if you actually pay for it. I listened to ads on Chicago radio for years about loans for hundreds of thousands and they were crazy low monthly installments. Interest only crap and the like. Anyone who graduated high school and did not understand the enormous risk and irresponsibility of these types of "consumer rip offs" should really examine their own motives IMO. Now, everyone loses, even those who were responsible. Even those who didn't participate in such greedy schemes. By the way, the greed was a two way street. You can be sure of that. It was very often greed by the consumer that lead them to these loans. Something for nothing. Gambling on real estate prices appreciating at high rates to out pace their loans and then trying to cash in. Many made huge profits doing just that. Many got caught when things went south. Many more just followed the crowd and really got creamed. Like I said, oversimplified. 
  • nolaegghead
    edited November 2015
    You touched on a few of the reasons, although I strongly disagree many or most of the people "responsible" are paying for anything.  The rewards were segregated from the liability as things were bundled and sold.  But this is just a small part of it.  So the solution?  I want to hear what you think needs to be done!!!!
    Now even responsible people have a very hard time getting money for houses or to capitalize a business. Stop legislating these things. This whole thing could have been avoided if common sense capitalistic principles had been applied. If the govt was not buying up these junk loans (bundled) with your money, this would not have happened. No bank would give loans to people who cannot repay them. This only occurred because the federal government felt they knew better and we're trying to encourage people that could not afford things to go ahead and have things. The government encourage this and they were the city list behind it, totally. They removed the risk from what you would describe as evil predatory lenders and facilitated the entire debacle. Then if that wasn't enough they cried out with indignation at its result. Very ironic and tragic. Govt intervention drive the inflation in eduction, period. It does the same in medicine. Stop,it. Some modest and I mean modest programs are all that's needed. Sadly, we cannot help ourselves. The corrections only get longer and harder the more we allow these practices to continue. They are not sustainable. Not forever. There are no magic beans in my pocket, yours?
  • pgprescott
    Hey @nolaegghead we really should quit high jacking this thread. I'm feeling guilty. 
  • nolaegghead
    edited November 2015
    Sounds alot like these things need some regulation.  I'm not on any idealistic bandwagon, but a LOT of money was made with subprime loans. If you're going to just make a blanket statement that "regulation is bad, m'kay" our conversation is over.  I'm a pragmatist.  The government didn't regulate it enough for the backing it provided.  To say it was the fault of the government is probably factually correct but for a different reason than you believe.

People are going to work a system as much as they can to make money.  They don't care about screwing other people (some do, obviously but they're not going to make the maximum amount of profit). 

I think you're hitting many of the "cause and effect" talk radio points, but there's a quite a bit of nuance behind all of this, and I'm willing to discuss if you use paragraphs and sourced facts.
    I take my greatest milestone is that I NO LONGER get involved in political discussions on a BBQ forum. 

No milestones for me other than hanging on one day at a time. 
    Damn-it John, you cooked ribs for the first time and it was epic!
  • nolaegghead
    Hey @nolaegghead we really should quit high jacking this thread. I'm feeling guilty. 
    I don't.  It's Fred's thread.  ;)
    Ok. First, if the govt did not provide the "backing" the obscene profits would not have been made and the regulations would not have been needed. The essence of my point. 

secondly, your belief they people will inherently take full advantage of these govt programs to their benefit without regard for others? No duh? Look around, these things rarely if ever happen unless there are the deep pockets of the taxpayer to grift. 

Lastly, I share my own thoughts with you and you insist or prefer I search the web for someone else's thoughts (facts). No thanks. I don't need a study or someone's work product to tell me what I witnessed happen before my own eyes for years. You should feel lucky, I'm smarter than they are anyway. Good talk. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Got damn I'm pissed I missed all the basketball hoopla!  But, not gonna give up some bourbon.  Go Kats!  Sorry my Tar Heel friends but for the next six months I have to hate you :)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    Not all the housing was government backed.  Lots of banks and investors bought bundles from local banks that made all the closing costs, which are a few percent of what they sold.  That's some incentive at the grass roots levels.  That stuff should have been regulated.

So they're not all government programs, but once you get a bunch of sub-prime, and even prime (people lost good jobs, that was pervasive) loans went under water, there's a chain reaction. 

Remember, this is just a part of it.  Hands in the pockets of the taxpayer...c'mon man.  That's disingenuous. 

If you are saying you don't want to have a conversation of facts but all you want to offer is opinion, then you're right ;)  Sorry, but opinions are like, well, you know.  Now I don't harbor any ill feelings about any of this, and as I move on,  I hope you can just chock this up to a discussion without any ill aftereffects.  g'day my friend.
    @YukonRon

Bless your heart!

Greatest tradition in sports? Try again, as Army vs Navy blows everyone else away 7 days a week. Keep telling me about all that "real work" the Ashley Judds do in a football conference. You sound like a Michigan fan with that total victories thing. Drugz R bad, mmkay?

LOL! There is a reason the sky is Carolina blue.

;) 
    LOL brother. This is going to be fun, I am bsing my backside off. I am in my element. It is amazing how much bourbon can help spread BS! Great fertilizer spreader.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    We finally decided our 4.5qt KitchenAid was not sufficient and ordered this 8qt KA Commercial mixer.

I can't wait for it to arrive and no longer deal with dough climb.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Despite my dietary habits, I remain regular. 
  • bgebrent
    The sky in Carolina is blue because of the refraction of the sunlight through all the ****.  Simple physics.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Legume said:

@Legume
    You are quickly becoming one of my forum favorites. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989

@YukonRon - I am trying not to laugh at all of that, but it is really, really hard.
    I promise I am just preaching for fun, there is zero opportunity I could provide any proof of any claims real or fabricated.
    i am here to have fun (check) and laugh with friends (check). Oh, and sip some pappy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Ron, you're being too kind!  And I hope you save a sip of that Pappy for your brother!  Trying to score a bottle of the 23 Reserve and a 20 as we speak!  It's the time of year to not like our NC friends!