Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of lamb

Options
Billy
Billy Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a leg of lamb which I am planning on having this Sunday for some guests. Does anyone know the best way to cook this thing? Thanks,Billy

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Billy,
    Remove all the fat from the lamb. Cut about 9-10 slits in the lamb then insert a clove of garlic into each. Cover with olive oil and then rub in a generous amount of rosemary. Cook using a drip pan and a v-rack at 350* for 20 min per pd until the internal temp reaches 160* for medium. My choice of wood is sugar maple, but peach, cherry, apple, ppecan do well also. Enjoy.

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Billy,
    Mornin' if you follow JJ's direction It'll be great.I normally don't care a whole lot about lamb(probly cause I had to learn"Mary Had A Little LAMB" in kinnergarden)
    HOWEVER!after chompin' on a piece of JJ's at EGGFEST I'm a converted lamb lover.Now when I'm countin' sheep,they're jumping over a BGE,not a fence.Good luck. Bob

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Billy,[p]I am not a great lamb fan, but have tasted JJ's lamb twice. The first was Eggtoberfest'99, and I was simply amazed. Not strong at all, actually very, very mild, and juicy tender. The mint "jelly" is just the right touch. I did get a taste of it this year and it was as equally as good as I remembered.[p]You just got the inside on the details of a recipe I have been slowly prying out of him. Very good.[p]Spin

• Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Billy, Here's one of my favorite ways, S. Pacific LOL. Butterfly the leg, removing as much fat as you can, slather with the rub, and refridgerate for 3-8 hours. Grill direct at about 450F for 10-12 min per side for m-rare.[p]Marinade: 2t cinnamon, 2t ground ginger, 2T brn sugar, 1t anise, 1/2t cayenne, 3 cloves minced garlic, 1T toasted sesame oil, 1/4c peanut oil, S&P.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Frozen Chosen!
    Good to see you around. Man that sounds good. I have a boneless leg of lamb that I posted about the other day. djm's idea using "a mix of olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, garlic" sounds good....plus I have to try JJ's when I get a whole leg.....but that rub sounds like it is right up my alley! I froze the boneless leg the other day, as I didn't have time to cook it that week....but plan on it soon.
    Thanks for posting that. Hope all is hunky dory up your way.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ