Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature controller

Options
I'm looking to purchase a controller for long smokes.  Does anyone have any recommendations? Are they worth the money? 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome brother!  There are many threads on this forum and others addressing your question with passionate opinions. Most of the stuff on the market works fine.  Research the threads.  I'm a set your vents and go to bed type.  Good luck and have fun!  The techies will follow.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I like the convience of no cords, so I went with BBQ Guru's Party Q.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For a no frills economical controller look at the Auber line .No meat probe,no open lid compensation ,no variable fan control .It does one thing and that is ,keeps your temp where you set it .Blower Motor does have an auto open and close damper so you don't get any air when motor is shut down . Been using one for a couple of years and all I can say is that it works . You will need a meat probe like a Maverick ET-732 to monitor food. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have one and I love using it. It was worth it to me. There's a lot of times I even use it on the shorter cooks. I'm always cooking something on the stove at the same time. So I light the fire and let it burn a bit, then connect the Stoker and go back to cooking inside. I can control the egg temp from my phone and know when it's ready without walking out and checking several times. On long cooks, I can check the temp in the middle of the night without getting out of bed. I'd buy one again if I had to do it all over. Even a lower cost one would be fine.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I just got a used stoker. I've only used it once. I like it will worth the money. It's only money. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Stoker here also
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Digi q and party q here. I like both and they work as advertised. I will say, I really like the party q paired with a maverick (BGE) two probe remote thermometer. It allows me to monitor meat and pit from my recliner or kitchen. The flame boss products are also great. The FB 200 is wifi. Can't miss really, lots of good choices. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Depends on what kind of features you want and how much you want to spend.

Having both, I would recommend the Flame Boss over the Auber all day long. I have not tried the FB200, but I'm not really interested in WiFi. The 100 works great for me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love my cyberQ and partyQ, well worth the piece of mind on overnight cooks...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    My dealer was good enough to throw in a controller when i bought the egg.  he called it a 'daisy wheel'.  has worked fine ever since. ;)

i know, i know.  just sayin'.  the egg is a pretty simple system.

if you have mastered the overnights or long smokes, but just want a toy, that's great.  i'm just advocating that if you haven't yet tried to smoke for a longer duration, give the egg itself a shot.  its very idea concerns controlling temps and holding them for extended periods with a natural fire.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ive done so many overnighters now with out a device that i dont see a need for one. you just have to do a few to get over the need to spend money on this. some here bought them and eventually just stopped using them because it was just easier to set the vents and go to sleep =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I am in the manual control crowd and have been for years.  A few weeks ago there was a similar thread and I was reminded about the Tip Top Temp controller (linked here: http://tiptoptemp.com/) .  I figured that for $30 I would give it a go.  Only have used it on one L&S but it worked fine.  No bells or whistles but for $30-who cares. 
    I would suggest you get familiar with the manual process first in the event your electronics give up the ghost mid-cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    fish and lou: i can not seriously come up with a logical reason how the fire could get away from you (run hot) on an overnight.  any possible cause is easily eliminated in advance.

other issue is the fir going out.

i think that has happened once in maybe a dozen years.

it would take a long time to recoup the cost of enough pork butt and briskets to pay for a controller, if it happens once a decade.  especially when i am so stupid as to simply fire it up and let it go again after it went out.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    fish and lou: i can not seriously come up with a logical reason how the fire could get away from you (run hot) on an overnight.  any possible cause is easily eliminated in advance.

it would take a long time to recoup the cost of enough pork butt and briskets to pay for a controller, if it happens once a decade.  especially when i am so stupid as to simply fire it up and let it go again after it went out.

Cost of ruined butt,$20. Cost of ruined brisket,$100. Cost of ruined event or party, priceless. It happens if you try to get too low with the temps. If you stay 250-275 you have a chance. I use mine overnight and I have never had the fire go out, ever. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    meh.

i guess it comes down to what you consider ruined.

i ain't exactly the kinda guy that throws out perfectly good food.

had a fire go out once in a dozen years. and just lit the damn thing and cooked on.

so, as of today, still cost effective.  also, not a worrier by nature, so no safety blanket req'd

to each his own.

my point was: if you haven't done it without a controller, try it without it.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Same here......cheap insurance for me.

When I used to work nights, I once had a fire die some time probably before midnight.  Got home at 0800 at the Egg was cold.  Had to throw everything out and serve burgers & brats for that party.  They were good, but it had me cooking while guests were arriving, rather that having everything.  Plus about $50 in pork, the added cost of everything else.  Got a temp controller and never worried about it again.
  • fishlessman
    Options

Cost of ruined butt,$20. Cost of ruined brisket,$100. Cost of ruined event or party, priceless. It happens if you try to get too low with the temps. If you stay 250-275 you have a chance. I use mine overnight and I have never had the fire go out, ever. 
    im old school, 220 dome and have never lost a fire or ruined a butt or brisket =) im just anti over complicating things ;) i do have an original top vent spring operated pitmaster guru (before they went to fans) when i want to really slow a cook down below 200 dome temps and bought the tip top to pimp out my mini vision kub cooker but i rarely use them
    fukahwee maine

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Same here......cheap insurance for me.

When I used to work nights, I once had a fire die some time probably before midnight.  Got home at 0800 at the Egg was cold.  Had to throw everything out and serve burgers & brats for that party.  They were good, but it had me cooking while guests were arriving, rather that having everything.  Plus about $50 in pork, the added cost of everything else.  Got a temp controller and never worried about it again.
    +1 Bingo!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    ...and there are plenty of stories of electic controllers not working on an overnight anyay.

if you like toys, by all means buy one.  we all enjoy this stuff.  but if you think you NEED one to cook on the egg, the answer is. well, no.

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    WiFi Stoker is the pit controller I have.  Works good as a WiFi unit.
    I have used it to smoke bacon at 185* F pit temp; variation during cook, once at target, was less then 3* F. 

Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• stlcharcoal
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ...and there are plenty of stories of electic controllers not working on an overnight anyay.

if you like toys, by all means buy one.  we all enjoy this stuff.  but if you think you NEED one to cook on the egg, the answer is. well, no.
    Hmmmm, I've never seen those plentiful  stories.  In the 500+ of them I have sold in the last 3-4 yrs I have yet to have anyone call and complain about one failing to keep the fire alive overnight.

I have seen stories about people running out of charcoal or the fire getting hot due to a gasket leak or other factor......nothing about the unit itself failing.  Do you have any personal experience with any of these units?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hmmmm, I've never seen those plentiful  stories.  In the 500+ of them I have sold in the last 3-4 yrs I have yet to have anyone call and complain about one failing to keep the fire alive overnight.

I have seen stories about people running out of charcoal or the fire getting hot due to a gasket leak or other factor......nothing about the unit itself failing.  Do you have any personal experience with any of these units?
    I have experience with both BBQ Guru and Stoker. Had 2 different BBQ Guru units fail on cooks as well as my Stoker that had a probe fail while in use.
    I just bought a FB 200 but as of today have not used it.
    I have seen way more posts about people asking questions about issues with automatic controllers not working than posts about fires just going out. I'm sure some of these are operator error and just not building a good fire to start with.
    Using the daisy wheel the temps might rise or fall over a long cook. With electronic controller failure, your fire "will go out" or go nuclear if the fan stays on.
    If the electronic units did not fail, they would have a life time warrantee.lol
    At least with the wi fi units you can check on the status.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @stlcharcoal  no.  i made all that up.

to be honest, all electronic controllers work perfectly.  there have actually never been any battery, wi-fi connection, probe failure, or weather issues.

my point, which i will reiterate: the egg works fine without a controller the vast majority of the time.  powered controllers also work the vast majority of the time.

there is no NEED for a controller.  if there is a 'want', then have a ball.  but if OP thinks it is required (universally, general consensus, etc.), then 'no', it isn't.

i know you joined fairly recently.  search the archives here and at greeneggers.com for people who have had issues with the controllers.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The temperature controller is very much like a tv remote. Is it needed? No. Can you manually change it? Sure. Either way will work. I just prefer a remote for my tv and egg. =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    Options

WeberWho? said:
    The temperature controller is very much like a tv remote. Is it needed? No. Can you manually change it? Sure. Either way will work. I just prefer a remote for my tv and egg. =)
    for low and slows i just use one channel, say 220 dome =)  im not really sure what the tv remote is for, it sits in a drawer in a box, i know i paid for it, bet it cost me more than what its worth, and is useless when i have a cable box remote. why is there a tv remote and why do i need it =)
    fukahwee maine

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    @stlcharcoal  no.  i made all that up.

to be honest, all electronic controllers work perfectly.  there have actually never been any battery, wi-fi connection, probe failure, or weather issues.

my point, which i will reiterate: the egg works fine without a controller the vast majority of the time.  powered controllers also work the vast majority of the time.

there is no NEED for a controller.  if there is a 'want', then have a ball.  but if OP thinks it is required (universally, general consensus, etc.), then 'no', it isn't.

i know you joined fairly recently.  search the archives here and at greeneggers.com for people who have had issues with the controllers.
    You have no experience with them, so you're just repeating what you claim to have read (which may or may not have been user error.)

And yes, the BGE runs just fine without them, but if you're going on this whole want vs. need diatribe....... The you don't NEED an Egg, you don't NEED a car, and so on.  Are you going to talk people out of buying a BGE or a car when they can get by with a Weber and a bike???  NO.

And yes a new user here.  Had a BGE for 22 yrs, joined the original BGE forum in the late 90's under a different handle, then had this one migrated here when the new forum came out years ago.  Egged for 12 yrs without a controller, then bought one.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Flame boss 200.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • jimithing
    Options
    I bought an ique 110 when I had just a WSM.  When I bought the egg I also bought a Wifi Stoker - I really like being able to log the cooks on my computer so I can go back and reference them.  Controlling the temp and setting an alarm from the computer is nice as well.  Required?  No, I guess not.  It does give me some peace of mind, though.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    my Party Q works great. Simple and economical.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Here's how my first time using stoker went. At 10pm I decided I wanted to do a pork butt started the egg put the stoker on went to the store while it brought the temp up . It took me about a hour to get the food bring it home and get rub put on it. 11pm put the chunks of  wood and threw it on. I didn't have to get up and check on it one time during the night. What the cost of a good temp gauge like a maverick? 75 bucks? Put a little more with it and get a controller. I think it's well worth the money. And for the people who don't like them that's fine. Some people never use the cruise control on their car or. know how to use a Dvr to watch recorded shows. That's fine too. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx