Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Beans?

Options
Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While traveling last week, I had a salmon cooked with chipotle glaze over wood fire (easily duplicated on the Egg), but the side dish was smoked black beans and corn mixed together. Almost like succotash, but with smoked black beans instead of limas. It was incredible - I could have eaten an entire bowl.[p]I've searched the Forum and Googled "smoked beans" with no good result. How does one smoke beans? Seems to me if you smoke the dry beans, all the smoke flavor would go out in the water. Likewise if you smoke cooked beans, they wouldn't "take" any smoke, and besides they are already cooked. Do you cheat and use liquid smoke?[p]Anybody know the answer to this one?[p]Thanks - Bob V

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Bob V,
    when things 'take' smoke, the smoke merely 'lands' on them. [p]keep the lid off, add smoke, and stir in every now and then.[p]liquid smoke is literally smoke in water, that's all.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    beans2.jpg
    <p />Bob V,
    Dad and I have been smoking baked beans for years. We usually add pulled pork, smoked ham, or burnt ends. We enjoy. Good luck.[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Chubby's beans followed us all the way home yesterday....literally, though in a gaseous sense. Only One shot and I had them...but that was a big plenty! Tasty and toxic!...What a great combination! It was like a road trip with wives! Thank God for those ladies.[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    You wont remember me , I was at Eggfest and met you and your family--your all good people.I was standing over to wessB during the action with my wife. It was entertaining .I was glad your Granddaughter won some things.
    360 guy-gary in Victoria

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    LawnRanger,
    Well, Chubby is kinda different. I'm so glad you ae normal.[p]Mike

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Bob V,
    I cold-smoke dry pintos, in a Luhr Jensen "Big Chief" electric. When cooking them, the trick is to not pour off the water: I bring them to a boil for five minutes, then cover and set them off for an hour. Return them to the fire and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Very nice smokey taste.[p]HTH
    Ken