Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrapping the Brisket -- Butcher Paper, FTC ??

So it looks like my brisket will be done 3 ish hours before service. 

I'm using butcher paper for the first time. When it's time to FTC, would you simply Butcher Paper, Towel, Cooler?  Or replace paper with foil?  (That CAN'T be right). Or foil over paper?  (Also sounds wrong). 

Surely its paper, towel, cooler. 

Brisket gods, pls weigh in!
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• I just do foil towel cooler (FTC). It doesn't affect the bark as much as wrapping during the cook.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    If the Brisket Gods do not harken, here is how I do it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    SGH said:

@sgh That looks like it is ready to be shipped!   I will pm you my address  ;)
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • SGH
    bo31210 said:
    SGH said:

@sgh That looks like it is ready to be shipped!   I will pm you my address  ;)
    Sorry my friend. That one got turned into turds many months ago. Maybe next time. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thank you, Brother @SGH. (and also @xiphoid007)

First time with the paper, and not nearly enough, as I had to ask the butcher to tear me off a couple yards!  

But I'm very excited to have stepped up my butcher paper brisket game. 

Into to the cooler it will go soon. Will post pics later. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I have one in PTC as we speak. No foil. I've done it several times. Works out great. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Thank you, Brother @SGH. (and also @xiphoid007)

My pleasure as always my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Paper on the grid (not pretty, but hoping it's effective). Had to supplement with a bit of foil. 

Its in the cooler now, resting.  

Like Borat, "I AM SO EXCITE!!!!"

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    SGH said:

@SGH   That paper is "fresh".  Do you re-wrap, or go over top of the soggy stuff?  Thanks

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    blasting said:
    @SGH   That paper is "fresh".  Do you re-wrap, or go over top of the soggy stuff?  Thanks

I cooked this brisket unwrapped and then wrapped it for the rest. If I wrap during the cook, I just leave it wrapped in the paper that was used for the cook. I don't always wrap during the cook, it just depends on how the brisket is responding and settling in. Again, if I do wrap during the cook, I just leave it wrapped in the original paper. No extra paper is required. 

Status- Standing by.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited November 2015
    @SGH .... Styrofoam cooler in a cardboard box??  :o
    I too wonder about the fresh looking paper.
    Also...can paper grocery bags be used if butcher paper is unavailable, 
    in a pinch?
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • blasting
    Durangler said:
    Also...can paper grocery bags be used if butcher paper is unavailable, in a pinch?

I just cut up and taped a half dozen grocery bags.  If this is my last post, then you can assume it was hazardous, and probably shouldn't try it.  

I'm in AZ as well, and went to the I-17 RD yesterday to pick up paper.  They had 15", 18", 30", & 36"  Of course they were missing the 24" that I wanted, so paper sacks for this cook are gonna have to work.  I'm at 189 IT, so should be done and rested just in time for dinner.

Phoenix 
  • Durangler
    @blasting ... Well, post a pick before you croak!  =) 
    Can anyone walk into RD, or is some sort of membership required? Costco doesn't have BP that I can find.

• SGH
    Durangler said:
    @SGH .... Styrofoam cooler in a cardboard box??  :o
    I too wonder about the fresh looking paper.
    Also...can paper grocery bags be used if butcher paper is unavailable, in a pinch?
    As to bags, yes you can use them. My grandmother was cooking turkeys in paper bags long before Aaron Franklin was even born. With that said, two things to keep in mind with the bags. First, they are a cats whisker heavier than 40# paper. As such, if you use them during cooking in place of paper, you will get a tad more steaming effect. Not as much as foil, but more than 40# paper. Nothing to really get excited over but thought I would mention it just the same. Also there is glue seams in the bags. This doesn't concern me at all. However some folks prefer to cut them out for safety's sake. I think the glue adds a extra flavor profile myself ;) Just kidding, you won't taste the glue at all. 

Status- Standing by.

• I also used grocery bags to supplement my oogie paper in the cooler. Not worried at all. Studies say the meat will kill me long before the paper!  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Durangler
    Thanks @SGH, @blasting is using taped up bags, so we'll see. =)
    I hear the same info, @HendersonTRKing & believe it, too.  B)
  • blasting
    Durangler said:
    @blasting ... Well, post a pick before you croak!  =) 
    Can anyone walk into RD, or is some sort of membership required? Costco doesn't have BP that I can find.

@Durangler

If you can bring in a business checkbook, or a business card, you're good to go.  My business has zero to do with the food industry, but they didn't care.  If you don't have a business, join KSBS and your automatically given access to RD.

Phoenix 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    SGH said:
    " turned into turds"
    You crack me up.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SciAggie said:
    SGH said:
    " turned into turds"
    You crack me up.
    Unlike the liberals, I always speak the truth, no matter how brutal it is ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Durangler
    Thanks @blasting , I may be SOL, but did pick up a Prime brisket full packer Friday $2.85 a pound at Cotsco
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    SGH said:
    SciAggie said:
    SGH said:
    " turned into turds"
    You crack me up.
    Unlike the liberals, I always speak the truth, no matter how brutal it is ;)
    Do you remember the old Ruger advertisement? (assuming you might be a gun owner):
    To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth
    This was the ancient law of youth.
    Old times are past, old days are done
    but the law runs true 'O little son.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SciAggie said:
    Do you remember the old Ruger advertisement? (assuming you might be a gun owner):
    To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth
    This was the ancient law of youth.
    Old times are past, old days are done
    but the law runs true 'O little son.

Indeed I am a proud gun owner. I'm also a Endowed Life Member of the NRA. And yes sir, I remember the Ruger advertisement vividly. I own several of their 10/22's. Here is one of my tricked out 10/22's with a bull pup and suppressor that is a blast to play with.

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Durangler said:
    @SGH .... Styrofoam cooler in a cardboard box??  
    Looks like SRF boxing to me...
  • Durangler
    LOL @DoubleEgger  I don't know what a SRF carton looks like.  :)
    Your probably correct 
  • SGH
    Durangler said:
    @SGH .... Styrofoam cooler in a cardboard box??  
    Looks like SRF boxing to me...
    That's exactly what it is. The original box and styrofoam cooler that it was shipped in. 

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    Durangler said:
    Thanks @blasting , I may be SOL, but did pick up a Prime brisket full packer Friday $2.85 a pound at Cotsco

KCBS is $35 / yr    http://www.kcbs.us/join.php

If RD won't let you in to look around, PM and I'd be happy to meet you there sometime - see if you like it.   That said, nothing wrong with the price you paid at costco.

Phoenix 
  • I FTC the butcher papered product.  Haven't tried just going towel over the butcher paper, then cooler b/c I like the finished product with what I'm doing.  The butcher paper is usually pretty soiled when I unwrap to slice so I can see that getting through the towels if there is no foil barrier.  Also, it depends on the time you are looking to keep warm.  I would imagine a foil layer will buy you substantially more time.  I went 4 hours this weekend in the cooler before serving and still burned my hand when unwrapping.
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    As with all things brisket, many ways will get you there.  Give the below a look ( a segment of a longer Franklin brisket video):
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw 
    FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.