Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baffled by the chunks

Options
I'm fairly new to the egg and have only smoked ribs a few times. Previously I've used wood chips but today used chunks for the first time.  I used 3 hickory and 3 Apple chunks. I put 2 chunks in the bottom of the charcoal then got the dome temp to 250. Then put 4 more chunks on top of the charcoal then the plate setter and waited about 10 min and then the spares went on.  I didn't foil them and it took about 4 hours. They turned out pretty good but I had no smoke ring and could hardly taste the smoke.  Not sure what I did wrong. Anyone have any suggestions? 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Smoke rings are pretty hard to achieve on the egg. So don't be overly concerned about that. Sometimes conditions are just right and you get that pretty ring but most times not. You can't taste the smoke ring so I quit worrying with it.  As far as your smoke taste, it sounds like you had the right amount of wood but maybe the chunks you added on top could have burnt off too fast. Maybe try mixing the same amount throughout the lump and see if that helps. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Agree w @Mattman3969 I rarely get a smoke ring. I think there needs to be more chemicals in the smoke like some nitrates. Maybe I'll throw some kingsford briquettes in a cook and see if that does it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • elbee63
    Options
    Ok, that makes me feel better.  Thanks!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I agree with @Mattman3969. Did you check the charcoal to ss if 5he wood chunks got used up, sometimes they don't depending how the fire spreads.

For some ring keep your meat as cold as possible even freezing for a short time just before you put the meat on the grill. That will allow a longer time for the smoke ring to form. A little celery salt will help but it has a strong flavour.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You should have had more than enough smoke. I rarely use more than a handful of chips or equal volume of chunk.

Smoke rings only form while the meat is under 170F. If the meat is room temperature, and is thin like ribs, the surface will get over that temp pretty fast.

Smoke is deposited on the meat surface, and seeps inside some as long as the surface is only slightly moist. If the meat is too wet, the smoke just hits the water, and evaporates off as the water heats.

To improve both aspects, either rub the meat, and put directly into an Egg that is producing "good" smoke, i.e. blue and wispy, or rub and place uncovered back in 'fridge.

I suspect that your dome therm might have been a little off. At 250-ish, spares take more like 5 - 6 hours.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    I agree with @Mattman3969. Did you check the charcoal to ss if 5he wood chunks got used up, sometimes they don't depending how the fire spreads.

For some ring keep your meat as cold as possible even freezing for a short time just before you put the meat on the grill. That will allow a longer time for the smoke ring to form. A little celery salt will help but it has a strong flavour.
    nitrates!  wish i had some celery salt, i want to try this
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Carolina Q you beat me to it.  The colder the meat the better the ring. It's a good read.  That's a great BBQ site for all kinds of info 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    How are you prepping the ribs ? Are you pulling the skin off the back  ? And are you using mustard prior to rub ? I'm not an expert but i think prep has a lot to do with it.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Cherry wood also gives good color. 
  • elbee63
    Options
    I did remove the membrane and coat with mustard, rubbed and then refrigerated. I will try again though. Thank you all for your input. Now I am on to worrying about my first beef tenderloin I am doing this Friday. Fingers crossed!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Pretty sure it's the lack of wood used in the egg. I have been learning to use a stick burner and I get a better smoke ring on a 45 minute pork tenderloin cook in the stick burner than I do on a 5 hour rib cook in the egg. 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I can get a nice smoke ring on the Egg, but not consistently. As long as it tastes good, that's all that counts. This rib end was rubbed with mustard and spices and cooked indirect over a couple of apple wood chunks. 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • elbee63
    Options
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Most posters are addressing the smoke ring, which looks cool but has nothing to do with flavor, but not the lack of smoky flavor, which you also mentioned.

What I've had the best results with, lately, for getting a more smoky flavor, is (a) no wood until just before putting the meat on.  I light the fire in one central location, no plate setter yet, let the temp stabilize, usually around half an hour, when it seems ready to go, then I put 4-5 hickory chunks radially around the fire so as the fire spreads it'll move into them, then add the plate setter, let it get back up to temp, then add the meat.  And (b) I find that I get more smoke at 250-275 than I do at 200, so I usually do low-and-slow cooks around there rather than around 200.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you want a smoke ring, and who doesn't, don't let your ribs come to room temp before putting them on
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can also get a "natural" smoke ring if you buy some celery powder (not salt) and mix that in your rubs.
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Agree w @Mattman3969 I rarely get a smoke ring. I think there needs to be more chemicals in the smoke like some nitrates. Maybe I'll throw some kingsford briquettes in a cook and see if that does it. 
    When I made plate ribs recently I added chunks of wood and scattered some briquettes as well. I just pretended the briquettes were wood. I got a nice smoke ring and flavor. 
    That being said, one trial means nothing - perhaps I was just lucky. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Best smoke is TBS  (thin blue smoke ) .Smoke ring is like the cross hatch grill marks on a steak,looks only . Heavy white smoke and you end up with creosote. The best smoke is what you can barely see.