Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza question

Options
First attempt at pizza. Had the egg at 650-700. Had the stone raised in the dome. First pie was super easy. On the peel and off without issue. Second and third was a complete disaster. The only difference with the first is the wife had a tough time getting the pie thinned out and it was a bit thicker. Second 2 were thin and round at least until I got my hands on them. Struggled to get off the peel. Made a mess. Good thing I'm drinking my dinner from this point forward. And suggestions or tips with a metal peel?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Buy a wood one for making and putting the pizzas on use the metal one for removal. Otherwise, use parchment paper. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Buy a wood one for making and putting the pizzas on use the metal one for removal. Otherwise, use parchment paper. 
    I use the Reynolds foil/parchment foil side down when the temp gets >650 helps keep it from burning too fast.  Had the egg at ~690 when I did pizza last night.  On and off the stone in < 3 minutes and completely done . A little "color" on the bottom because I pulled the foil/parchment too soon, but was fabulous.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    It's all in the wrist. Flip your wrist in a J motion 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I use the Super Peel and have had good luck with it.  Some use parchment paper as previously stated and I have observed still others using a pizza screen.

https://superpeel.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Winware-12-Inch-Seamless-Aluminum-Screen/dp/B001CI8VGY/ref=sr_1_1/183-2781788-6834944?ie=UTF8&qid=1446329337&sr=8-1&keywords=winware+pizza+screen

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use a wooden peel only, never parchment, and have done pies from 450-900* with no problem. I use just a pinch of semolina (on the peel, NOT on the stone). After adding every ingredient, I shake the peel just a bit to make sure the dough doesn't stick. Works even on paper thin dough. And I never roll my dough. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TXsmokin
    Options
    I use a pinch of corn meal on the peel. I have the BGE metal peel and haven't had any stick with the pinch. 
    Fort Worth, TX      
    LG Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis Gasser, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Jumbo Joe

Flame Boss 300, Orange Thermapen (because Orange is the fastest)
  • kirkiver
    Options
    use wooden peel, dust with flour, roll out 5.5 ounce dough ball to about 12 inches... fold back 1/2, dust with corn meal, repeat with other half... top pizza, use quick short jerking motion to slide pizza off peel... practice will make perfect... 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It's all in the wrist. Flip your wrist in a J motion 
    I was going to make a crude joke here. But seeing how you are one of my forum  favorites, I will refrain brother Double. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I install a SECOND HEAT DEFLECTOR on TOP of my Plate Setter and use some corner ceramics from Home Despot to create some air space.   My main pizza stone is a 21"er and I use a 14"er for the additional heat deflector.  

At extremely high temps, ceramic may actually become transparent to infra red and thus directly heat the bottom of the pizza stone, producing burned crust.

Corn Meal is the 'secret ingredient' for sure
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Might be cooking too hot!  Try 450 on raised pizza stone with parchment paper on cornmeal. Pizza should take 12 to 16 minutes. 
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    Love my pizza screen
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Metal peel, cornstarch, stone from world market, 500F, 8 minutes. Perfect!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I always did corn meal and peel method but damn....parchment o can get an even bigger pizza going and get it on the stone ....so that has been my method as of late. Whatever gets the job done.
    Seattle, WA
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    To keep the dough from sticking to the peel I use plenty of flower on it and I don't let let the pizza sit on the peel any longer than I need to. I'll continually shake the peel Like Carolina said. Any sauce or moisture that gets under the dough can turn the pizza transfer process a complete mess. I find if I let the pizza sit for more than5 minutes without shaking will allow enough moisture to soak through the flower and cause it to stick. If the dough is really thin the sauce will soak through as well. 

• hoofaloos
    Options
    I echo the cornmeal thought. You may be running a lil hot. 5-550 is the sweet spot
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The other thing I didn't think to mention is that 00 pizza flour is very forgiving when it comes to high temperature cooks.  Now, this is not to say that the good suggestions and advice above do not still apply.  One key point in particular that has already been stated above is the suggestion to raise the stone above the plate setter, if using, to create an air gap. 

Example of 00 Pizza Flour:
    http://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo-Pizzeria-Flour-Repack/dp/B006XL9W7W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446357215&sr=8-2&keywords=00+pizza+flour

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• steel_egg
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!  
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    A wood peel for sure and flour the wood peel for each pizza with rice flour.  Rice flour is like little ball bearings and it has a very high burn temp. I use a wood fired oven and cook around 800f and no issues with the rice flour. 

A little tip. As your preparing the pizza on the peel give it a little shake front to back to keep the pizza from sticking to the peel. 
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I've done several pizzas with great results.  I will admit, not from scratch.  We have a great pizza place here and I have them par bake the crust before they add the toppings.  But, there is no reason you could not do the same thing.  I would think you could bake the crust for a couple of minutres on parchment paper, add your toppings and slide on to the pizza stone.  I've baked mine at  600 plus degrees for  about 10 minutes.  Best pizza I've ever had.  The pizzas I get locally come on a thin cardboard plate the same as the pies from Papa Murphy's.  I assume, that is what they are par baked on.  FWIW, if any of you have ever had a wood fired pizza from Pitanza (sp?), the BGE pizza is every bit as good.  IMHO