Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Hut-- Don't close down yet!

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello pizza lovers everywhere,I finally took the plunge and cooked up a Big-Thick-Juicy pizza (ALMOST).
FORGOT to practice sliding pizza off peel,FORGOT to start with a couple small pizzas,FORGOT not to make it 2" thick and weigh 16lbs.,FORGOT to tell wife not to build pizza on metal peel without a LOT OF CORN MEAL ON PEEL.
However,I got EGG temp. up to 500°(Thanks RRP),put fire bricks in,put stone on bricks,Setup was great! Things went good right up to the part where you raise lid,slide pizza onto stone and quickly close dome. I raised lid, quickly slid everything off peel EXCEPT THE CRUST,that sucker stuck like a tick on a houndog.Cheese,sausage,sauce went all over stone, bricks,grills and charcoal plus other places I ain't found yet!It was hard to scrape up enough topping to have for supper with EGG temp still at 500°. Glad BGE is self cleaning.BTW the scrappings still tasted pretty good,goes to show you that it's hard to messup with an EGG.A story like this has gotta have a MORAL: WHEN SPIN SPEAKS---PAY ATTENTION!
OH WELL,the T-bone steaks we had last nite made up for tonight. I'ts still fun:~). PIZZA HUT is safe for a few more days. Bob

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Bamabob, I am hurting from laughing! That was as good as ST with his head in the sink..!! Consider that if we are honest, that we all have had days like that. Yep, keep those pizza ingredients down to a sprinkle. And maybe a 2 or three topping for starters. [p]You have to learn that shiver shake of the peel as you balance the pizza heading for the BGE..And at the same time opening the dome while shiver shaking the peel. Its like rubbing your tummy and head at the same time in opposing motions.[p]Some time I will tell ya about a super, simple, satisfying, solid, shakeless, pizza dough method of delivery.[p]C~W[p]
  • Bamabob,[p]My first and only ceramic cooked pizza turned out about as wet, (from fresh tomatoes on top) as oatmeal and cream in a bowl. I laughed till I was sick reading about your pizza trip, but for some reason my mess wasn't as funny.:-) I have not tried another pizza except in the kitchen oven and I don't think I will. Life is too easy without charcoal fired pizzas. A 14 hour brisket is easy, boston butt a fun trip, and ribs a breeze - but pizza is something else.[p]N.W.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bamabob,[p]It was a pleasure to meet you at the fest. I can just see your face, beaming with pride and expectation of how you are going to impress the wife as you move the pie to the Egg. And then... LOL. Thanks for sharing this story.[p]Just before transporting the pie to the Egg, give the peel a quick shake (preferably on the countertop - just in case it wants to slide REAL easy) to verify the pie isn't sticking. The uncooked pie with initially stick like glue to the pizza stone so centering the pie on the stone is important.[p]Best of luck on the next one.[p]Spin

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Bamabob,[p]Too funny! I can see myself sitting next to you listening to your story. Hang in there. Pizza Hut has only a couple more days of face time with you.[p]Puj[p]
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Bamabob,
    Just a short note of thanks to all my brother & sister Lumpers who have comforted me in my time of woe,both with cyberspace replies and also in their hearts.It's great to have sympathetic,understanding shoulders to whine,cry and snivel on during times like this.
    I don't get this kinda support here at home!My wife just told me to clean up "My" mess!(It's obvious that "she" caused it by gluing crust to peel!) I said"But Honey,Great Chefs don't have to clean up after themselves" SHE SAID, YOU'RE RiGHT,GREAT CHEFS DON'T,Get busy!" Gotta Go.Bob

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Bamabob,
    Thanks for the laughs! :-))) I'm still aching! I can attest too and appreciate what you went through! Ask "Spin" , he probably remembers how hard my thick skull was when he was explaining things via e-mail. Things will get better though! Don't give up yet! Even after the mess I made the 1st & 2nd time, it was all worth it! We won't have homemade pizza now, without it being Egg-pizza![p]It's great though that you can laugh at it. I hope your wife is laughing too, but she just doesn't want to show it![p]
    Better luck next time! :-)))[p]Dr. Chicken

• chuckwagon
    Options
    Bamabob,
    I was lucky enough to get my first pizza in,temp at 550 for 6 minutes and get it back out. thats when I went to slide it on my cooling rack and it decided to continue off the rack do a 180 and land on the driveway. Needless to say I chaucked that one up as a loss. Your right about listening to SPIN . For his perfect pizza I'm sure he's had all our experiences.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    chuckwagon,[p]I've never slid one onto a driveway :-). I've chucked one onto a deck (nice splash), learning that a cooked pizza on a metal peel is a slippery combination. In learning how to use the Egg to make really rewarding pizza, I've also learned how to make "all natural" manhole covers and created many of them - along with various splash and cooking effects. I had so many failures that, at one point in this trek, my wife (who is my biggest supporter) said "Maybe you can't really do this on your Egg". I actually thought (at that moment) she may be right.[p]She now demands BGE pizza. I only tried it because I couldn't see why it wouldn't work and wanted to play with the possibility that it could be done and it may be better.[p]Spin[p][p]