Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teriyaki sous vide chicken on Minnie

Well after seeing rascal post from the 28th I decided to try sous vide chicken. Well Cyro Vac some chicken thighs and added teriyaki sauce prier to sealing. Went 165 for 6hrs with the sous vide and then seared off on the Minnie and glazed. Looks great but I would prefer straight grilled teriyaki chicken. Thought the sous vide dryed the thighs out compared to grilling. Maybe I went to long but went off the chart that was posted. 
Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Looks awesome, I use the kikoman marinade all the time but have never seen the base and glaze, will have to look for that. How does this little gadget work? I've seen them before but never understood the process 
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Emersion cooking 

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    @Roadpuke0 That looks awesome.  How was the flavor?  Trial set up run on my Anova tonight.  NY strip tomorrow evening.  @feef706 it is pretty straightforward.  Hang it in the water container and set the temp from the phone app or manually and let it reach temp.   I think I am gonna like this thing!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited October 2015
    Looks great!  IMO six hours is too long though...
    https://d3awvtnmmsvyot.cloudfront.net/api/file/tVHBOGPzSoCC3PpAo78h
    canuckland
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Looks great!  IMO six hours is too long though...
    https://d3awvtnmmsvyot.cloudfront.net/api/file/tVHBOGPzSoCC3PpAo78h
    I agree on too long but the information out there is all over the place. Next time I think I'll try 3 hrs. 

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    edited October 2015
    Personally, I've never found sous vide to cause anything to be dry.

I've never done chicken for more than about 3 hours at 140°-150°.

Six hours at 165°F seems a bit excessive but a number of charts do seem to have that as a target time/temp.

However, since you were going to sear them on the grill I would have sous vide'd them for less time and temp so that during their time on the grill they wouldn't get too high an internal temp.

That may be why they turned out a little dry.

I've never done skin and bone thighs sous vide and then sear. I'll have to give that a try just to see what happens.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk