Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for mozzarella brand recommendations

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
While I do like to make my own mozzarella for pizzas from time to time it's nice to have it available commercially. I'm not interested in Kraft products and my usual go-to cheese is Murray's brand. Murray's is good, but doesn't have that final kicker whatever it is to make it lip smacking good on a pizza. Anybody got a recommendation or two or know of some highly rated mozzarella brands? TIA
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    First of all we need some clarification. do you want fresh or aged-. the second thing I need to know is if you have GFS marketplace out there
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRP
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    First of all we need some clarification. do you want fresh or aged-. the second thing I need to know is if you have GFS marketplace out there
    I find that the fresh I make is truly the best, but for convenience then yes I will buy it commercially. I have tried several brands over the years including smoked, but have yet to find the good stuff commercially. BTW yes we have a GFS locally...tell me more!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Fresh here, can't recommend a brand though (have none at the time, I know what the label looks like).
    I have purchased mozz in a tub, pieces about the size of a grape and perfectly round.  NOT recommended for pizzas; when you "snap" the pie onto your stone half the mozz balls rolled off and that was Not Good.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    Options
    Botch said:
    Fresh here, can't recommend a brand though (have none at the time, I know what the label looks like).
    I have purchased mozz in a tub, pieces about the size of a grape and perfectly round.  NOT recommended for pizzas; when you "snap" the pie onto your stone half the mozz balls rolled off and that was Not Good.  
    I hear you about the balls, so that is why I always use my egg slicer which make those round balls into uniformly thick dots that stay put!
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

I hear you about the balls, so that is why I always use my egg slicer which make those round balls into uniformly thick dots that stay put!
    BTW I also use this wire egg slicer when I buy the mozzarella in single half pound balls. I just slice and dice it into more manageable chunks so my egg slicer isn't stressed out!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Ron - if you have a Costco near you, go get the Fattorie Garofalo Bufala mozz. I love that stuff! The center is somewhat creamy, almost like burrata.

It comes in a plastic bag, with 4-5 individually packaged balls in water. Whole Paycheck sells the same stuff for 3-4x the price. Makes great caprese salad and I like it on margherita pizzas.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Our go-to FRESH is Bel Gioioso.     Also a Costco Find.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @begger try the Garofalo. Beats Bel Gioiso by far. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My home made mozz browns weird on pizza. I think it's because the milk is pasteurized too much. I buy the Sam's or Costco 5# packs of commercial mozz...they melt well and they're what all the commercial pizza joints use.  I'll get fancy with some fresh, but the buffalo from Italy is past it's due date for a crazy amount of money.
    Options
    Here is my go two and everyone seems to love it, it is the 50/50 Baker's Choice/Pride of Prov and Motz from SAM's then I layer the thinnest you can slice GOOD white Cheddar on top of my toppings and cook/brown until yummy! 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    caliking said:

Ron - if you have a Costco near you, go get the Fattorie Garofalo Bufala mozz. I love that stuff! The center is somewhat creamy, almost like burrata.

It comes in a plastic bag, with 4-5 individually packaged balls in water. Whole Paycheck sells the same stuff for 3-4x the price. Makes great caprese salad and I like it on margherita pizzas.

Thanks much!  I have a source for bufala in Salt Lake City, but it's a bit of a commute for cheese; never thought of checking Costco.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i visit an area affectionately called minga valley at least once a  week, the good stuff =)  fresh mozz, dusty old pepperoni, gelato, deep fried rice balls stuffed with chicken cheese and peas, the bakeries are out of this world. no italian delis in your area
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    We are a Sams member, but not Costco, have no Italian markets nearby nor Whole Paycheck stores either. While the first at GFS sounded like an option having to buy 12 pounds of it and not being able to freeze it is out of the running! I plan to see which of the recommendations I can find so I thank all of you for your help!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Next time you guys visit the GWN, load up your suitcase/trunk with cheese to pay for the trip  =)
    http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2015/09/18/niagara-cop-found-guilty-of-cheese-smuggling
    canuckland
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Big fan of Belgioioso products.  The mozz is the best.  I buy at BJ's -- very inexpensive.  Like 1/3 of price sold elsewhere.  

http://www.belgioioso.com/Products/Fresh-Mozzarella

Nobody wants tough mozzarella, I can tell you that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsMIShagjH4

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    caliking said:
    @begger try the Garofalo. Beats Bel Gioiso by far. 

I will notifiy the UberFuhrer.

I always try to remain open to 'better'.  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP If you can find it,  Campania mozzarella di bufala. Its made from buffalo milk. Like all things buffalo, its worth its weight in gold. All others pale in comparison in my book. And no, this is not a buffalo joke, thats really the name of it of my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I use Sorrento whole milk mozzarella, sold in 1 lb blocks.  I use about 4 oz per 12" pizza.  I usually mix it with about 2 oz of provolone.  About 30 minutes before dressing out the pizza, I will cut off a chunk of both, put them in the freezer.  When cold(but not frozen), they will shred well in the food processor and mix together nicely.  Plus the cold cheese doesn't stick to itself as bad.
  • RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP If you can find it,  Campania mozzarella di bufala. Its made from buffalo milk. Like all things buffalo, its worth its weight in gold. All others pale in comparison in my book. And no, this is not a buffalo joke, thats really the name of it of my friend.
    I'm up to the challenge! Surprisingly yesterday before you even made this recommendation I was looking at it at my local Kroger store! I should add this location is not your run of the mill Kroger and is the only one in our area that specializes in cheeses...in fact  they are one of only 134 Kroger's in the whole USA.
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    .in fact  they are one of only 134 Kroger's in the whole USA.
    Not trying to get off on a rant my friend, but I think it's sad what Walmart has done to the grocery industry. Delchamps, gone, Food World, gone, Save A Center, gone. The list goes on and on. With all that aside, if you can find the fore mentioned cheese, give it a try. I think you will be impressed.   

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    Not trying to get off on a rant my friend, but I think it's sad what Walmart has done to the grocery industry. Delchamps, gone, Food World, gone, Save A Center, gone. The list goes on and on. With all that aside, if you can find the fore mentioned cheese, give it a try. I think you will be impressed.   
    I hear you - but maybe that "134" came out wrong. Kroger has 2,623 stores in the US, but this store is a speciality location and is considered a flagship. I just threw that in incase someone can't locate the water buffalo cheese at their Kroger.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have little experience with bufala, but understand that the domestic products are nowhere near as good as imported Italian. The only one I've seen, of either type, is 
    Gustosella Mozzarella Di Bufala Campana D.O.P. sold at Wegman's ($9/7oz). 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    thats one thing wallmart has zero chance on monopolizing here, our market basket customer base is strong and fanatical
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    I will probably get burned but there is a 5 Cheese Blend for pizza at Cosco that is very good for pizza with ingredients, but I only use Buffala for margharitas with a drizzle of Provolone!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • SGH
    Options
    I will probably get burned but there is a 5 Cheese Blend for pizza at Cosco that is very good for pizza 
    Agree^^^^^^^^^. It is excellent on my version of Stromboli as well. My Stromboli probably doesn't qualify as real Stromboli. But I love it nonetheless. 
    But you are correct, it's a great cheese and it's easy to locate.  

Status- Standing by.