Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shroom-stuffed Poblano Recipes?

HolySmokes
HolySmokes Posts: 446
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a pile of nice Poblanos and another nice pile of oyster mushrooms. Anyone have a good recipe for a 'shroom stuffed pepper?
If not I'm going to have to wing it here...[p]This is a side dish to go with the ribs I'm about to throw on.[p]HolySmokes

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    HolySmokes,
    I'd be winging it too. But, since it's a side dish don't go "too heavy." Try cooking up some bacon(official Louisiana starting point) then add some onion ,the mushrooms, and garlic and render it brown to carmalize. Save this and cook some rice. Mix it all up and stuff the peppers and roast until tender at 350. Also add some herbs like thyme or oregano.[p]My 2cents

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    HolySmokes, This not a direct answer, but may help in the winging it process:[p]Sweet & Hot Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers
    [p] 6 small orange bell peppers
    3 sweet italian sausages, casing removed
    2 cups white rice, slightly underdone
    1 can black beans
    1-2 cups fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/4 tsp HolySmokes dried habanero flakes
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 tsp Ken Stone's EZ Life Rub
    1 handfull peach wood chips

1 Prepare your Egg for indirect smoking at 350 degrees
    2 Although this is not necessary, this was for an Egg Fest, so I went the extra step of smoking the sweet italian sausages on my small egg. I then crumbled them for the stuffing.
    3 Rinse the blacks beans well and drain.
    4 Cut the tops out of the peppers and remove ribs and seeds. Salt an pepper the insides
    5 Mix all of the remaining ingredients except the EZ Life rub in a large bowl. Spoon the stuffing into your peppers. There's great flexibility here. You can stuff tightly or loosely. You may have extra for another pepper or 2. You may just spoon directly into your mouth.
    6 Top each pepper with extra mozzarella and a dash of Ken Stone's EZ Life rub
    7 Add your wood chips to your Egg, and cook until the peppers begin to soften. This takes about 1 hour. Pull them and serve whole, halved or quartered

Brisket & Mushroom Stuffed Bell Peppers
    [p] 6 small yellow bell peppers
    2 cups cups chooped smoked brisket
    2 cups white rice, slightly underdone
    2 large mushroom caps
    1-2 cups fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 tsp Ken Stone's EZ Life Rub
    1 handfull peach wood chips

1 Prepare your Egg for indirect smoking at 350 degrees
    2 Although this is not necessary, this was for an Egg Fest, so I went the extra step of using smoked brisket. I usually use sauteed ground sirloin.
    3 Cut the tops out of the peppers and remove ribs and seeds. Salt an pepper the insides
    4 Mix all of the remaining ingredients except the EZ Life rub in a large bowl. Spoon the stuffing into your peppers. There's great flexibility here. You can stuff tightly or loosely. You may have extra for another pepper or 2. You may just spoon directly into your mouth.
    5 Top each pepper with extra mozzarella and a dash of Ken Stone's EZ Life rub
    6 Add your wood chips to your Egg, and cook until the peppers begin to soften. This takes about 1 hour. Pull them and serve whole, halved or quartered

Mushrooms, Stuffed, Veteran's Day '05, "Borders"

I'm not a Veteran, but I am a son-of-a-vet. The young ones had the day off, so we went to a local park to enjoy blue skies, perfect temps, and my small egg. The kids got burgers and dogs on the park grill, and the adults got Dizzy Pig crunchy wings, stuffed shrooms and finally abt's. Whew!I've been working on a stuffed shroom recipe, and today I got the thumbs up.
    [p] 12 Large Button Mushrooms, (stems and gills cleaned out)
    1/2 Box Near East Mushroom Coucous
    1/2 Package Near East Mushroom Coucous Seasoning
    1 Roll Boars Head Proscuitto and Provolone
    1 Tbs Ken Stone's EZ Life rub (smells so good in this recipe)

1 Put the couscous and seasoning in a bowl and add very hot water (185F) just to cover the couscous. Mix the water, couscous and seasoning real well. Put about 1 teaspoon or so of the couscous to cover the bottom of the shroom.
    2 Cut a slice of the proscuitto roll and trim it so that it fits well in the cap. Sprinkle with EZ Life:
    3 Cook on BGE indirect, 300°F, apprx. 1 hour.
    4 Happy Veteran's Day 11/11/05! Scott

• HolySmokes
    ronbeaux,
    That sounds great! A good starting point at the least[p]thanks, HS

• HolySmokes
    Borders,
    Now I've got more ideas than I can possibly use today!
    Some great looking recipes, too.[p]Tnx Scott,
    Dugal