Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meats Put in Same Cancer-Causing Danger Category as Cigarettes or Asbestos by World Health Organizat

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This isn't new information. Processed meats and and ass-cancer have been linked for a long-ass time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The sun also causes cancer.  WHO recommends cave-living to mitigate exposure to the sun.  In fact, that's where they appear to live.
    Options
    Makes me wanna eat some bacon!!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Food choices in a cave are limited unless you have a bunch of shjt laying around and love mushrooms, or unless you go kill an animal and cook the meat over a fire and then blog about it on the wall of the cave.

From now on I'm going to get my meat from vegetarian hotdogs.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/26/health/vegetarian-hot-dogs-contain-meat-clear-foods-feat/index.html
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The circle of life...human DNA in hot dogs...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I heard this on the way in to work and thought that still isn't going to stop me from eating it, but may be eating smaller portions so I can lose some weight.  Doesn't basically everything in a way cause cancer, just depends on how much you eat.  Wasn't the last one on here was BBQ meat gives you cancer?  Sound like the ones doing most of these study's may be vegans and vegetarians. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I heard this on the way in to work and thought that still isn't going to stop me from eating it, but may be eating smaller portions so I can lose some weight.  Doesn't basically everything in a way cause cancer, just depends on how much you eat.  Wasn't the last one on here was BBQ meat gives you cancer?  Sound like the ones doing most of these study's may be vegans and vegetarians. 

Eating less meat is not a path to weight loss enlightenment.  Skip the sugar (including processed food, booze, dairy ) and the processed carbs and the weight will fall off and your weight loss will be sustainable.

eat whole foods....voila.
  • annjamaican
    Options
    Processed meats are in that category, red meat is 'probably' carcinogenic. If you live long enough, you'll die of something.
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • jimreed777
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Research shows that studies cause cancer...
    this
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Eating less meat is not a path to weight loss enlightenment.  Skip the sugar (including processed food, booze, dairy ) and the processed carbs and the weight will fall off and your weight loss will be sustainable.

eat whole foods....voila.
    Doing all that too, but smaller portion sizes have helped me before too.  Processed food won't be hard to do, but the cheese and beer will.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    The WHO report didn't suggest that people abstain from eating red/processed meats. It just suggested that too many people eat too much meat - portion size/frequency matters. If one is eating lots of meat they are also likely not consuming as much fruits and veggies as is recommended.

Some cooking methods do increase some cancer causing compounds but again what really seems to be the important data point regarding red/processed meat consumption is - portion size/frequency matters.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Well, it's also proven that medical marijuana is beneficial in curbing the growth of cancer cells.  

So.... time to spark up some 420 and throw some meat on the egg!

Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    The circle of life...human DNA in hot dogs...
    soil ant green dogs are the best!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    blasting said:

Well, it's also proven that medical marijuana is beneficial in curbing the growth of cancer cells.  

So.... time to spark up some 420 and throw some meat on the egg!

Consider it done.  B)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• eyegolf
    Options
    yes!!! Hopefully this "study" will cause meat prices to drop and i can stock up on even more meat
    Carnivores Unite!
    Man ate nothing but meat for millions of years….processed foods and sugar cause the problems, not meat
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    My grandfather died of asbestosis. It was horrible. To hear these folks make a ridiculous claim like that pisses me off. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    I may not be here much anymo

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    WTF.  Get the pipes checked every 5 to 10 and keep the smoke rolling. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @DoubleEgger, sorry this brought back your grandfathers tough go.  Too much sensationalism and nothing practical.  And don't forget, the committee is French.  Nuff said (even tho I love France).
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh, please.
    In the same "danger category" is not synonymous with 'presenting the same danger'.

While jerking your knee to a headline may be personally satisfying for whatever reason, understanding the substance is,
    well . . . it's better.
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Oh, please.
    In the same "danger category" is not synonomous with 'presenting the same danger'.

While jerking your knee to a headline may be personally satisfying for whatever reason, understanding the substance is,
    well . . . it's better.
    Killjoy. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I hope your comments weren't directed towards me @Sardonicus
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    Self-important much?

And here I am, unconcerned about your hopes.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I used to think you were a total d bag, now I'm positive of it. F-off pal. 
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    LOL
    Still.  Unconcerned.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    My grandfather died of asbestosis. It was horrible. To hear these folks make a ridiculous claim like that pisses me off. 
    From the IARC Q&A document regarding the report on red meat consumption:

Q. Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Tobacco smoking and asbestos are also both classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Does it mean that consumption of processed meat is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoking and asbestos?

A. No, processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos (IARC Group 1, carcinogenic to humans), but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous. The IARC classifications describe the strength of the scientific evidence about an agent being a cause of cancer, rather than assessing the level of risk.

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/iarcnews/pdf/Monographs-Q&A_Vol114.pdf

Not sure why that statement would be upsetting.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk