Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef shoulder

Options
Budgeezer
Budgeezer Posts: 669
Scored this nine pound beef shoulder last week for 2.99 per pound.   Going 265 indirect with oak for smoke.   Enjoy your Sunday. 
Edina, MN

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by for the finale. And may the Clod Gods smile down upon you. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Looking forward to the report on how it came out.  Looks like a nice roast.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I am also looking forward to this one. What is your target temp ? Sliced or pulled? 
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    I am also looking forward to this one. What is your target temp ? Sliced or pulled? 
    Kind of winging it,  hoping some of each.   Six hours in @ 160.  The plan is to start probing @ 190 or so. 
    Edina, MN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No eggsperience with a beef shoulder but every chuck roast I have done has not released til around 210*F.  Don't know if it directly applies here but thought I would offer it up.  Perhaps @SGH will get a head break and chime in again.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No eggsperience with a beef shoulder but every chuck roast I have done has not released til around 210*F.  Don't know if it directly applies here but thought I would offer it up.  Perhaps @SGH will get a head break and chime in again.
    Yep,  chuckies I usually pull 210ish like you mentioned. We will see where this journey takes me.   Is it too early for a bloody or a beer? 
    Edina, MN

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    lousubcap said:
    Yep,  chuckies I usually pull 210ish like you mentioned. We will see where this journey takes me.   Is it too early for a bloody or a beer? 
    Never too early.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• lousubcap
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Perhaps time to review my house BGE adult supervisory beverage rules.  (Note that time of day does not enter into the equation):  Light the BGE-time for an adult beverage; food on-time for an adult beverage; then as necessary to ensure an appropriate level of supervisory capacity.  The latter can be pushed to the limit with a protracted low&slow.
    BTW- I lit my LBGE at 6 AM (EDT) today so I am having to pace myself once I clear the first lap of the clock :).  
    Monday AM could be a bit of a challenge...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Options
    @Budgeezer , how did the shoulder come out?  Just saw one at BJs for $3.99/pound and was considering it but wanted to hear about yours first.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    @Shiff turned out great, no pics unfortunately had a few too  many beverages before hand.
    Edina, MN

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Budgeezer- No worries, as I have been down that road many times and there is no end-point in sight ;)
  • Shiff
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    @Shiff turned out great, no pics unfortunately had a few too  many beverages before hand.
    What was the internal temperature when you pulled it? Did you use it as pulled beef or did you slice it?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Budgeezer said:
    What was the internal temperature when you pulled it? Did you use it as pulled beef or did you slice it?
    Removed @ 211 degrees and used it for pulled beef sandwiches.  The bulk of it went into the freezer to be re-purposed for Mexican, pizzas and chili.
    Edina, MN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    So how was it?  I've never had 100% low and slow smoked pulled beef that was anywhere close to something that had a braised or stewed process involved.  (smoke, then braise or stew).
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    Removed @ 211 degrees and used it for pulled beef sandwiches.  The bulk of it went into the freezer to be re-purposed for Mexican, pizzas and chili.
    Nexttime I'm at BJs I'll have to pick one up.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    @nolaegghead after egging and drinking most of the day I had a huge nose full of oak smoke. I thought it was pretty good, but other @ the party were raving how moist and that it had a very intense beef flavor.  I only seasoned with salt and pepper.   
    Edina, MN

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Thats looking better and better with every picture