Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SNF Brisket this weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    By "probing", you mean stabbing with a stick?  I do that.   I stop checking the temp after 185F.   I'm not cool enough just to jiggle it and tell if it's done.
    I wish one of the brisket whisperers would be at an event I show up at, because I would really like to learn how to know a brisket is ready without punching a hole in it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina just put his in a pan and dropped it like the mic. That sumbitch jiggled like something Bill Cosby would pimp and we ate the shît out of it.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    People that jiggle it already stabbed it when no one was looking.
    Options
    People that jiggle it already stabbed it when no one was looking.
    Well, I was otherwise preoccupied. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Trust me when I tell you John had analyzed the sh*t out of the situation, was in constant contact with his post-doctorate students, had borrowed some time from a super computer at MIT and had an army of undergrads entering data to determine optimal pull conditions.  You may have recalled he was constantly on his phone with a big cheshire cat grin.  Mark my words when I say he will deny all this.  Yet the end result was optimal.  Some B's will be A's this semester.
    It's in my Yeti.  Has some heat issues overnight.  Work up at 1am and was at 300 dome.  I closed things off and pulled at the 13ish hour mark.  Bark was set and the J Lo giggle was in effect.  I picked it up to wrap in paper and could tell it was just done.  Temp was approx 203ish.  I'll cut it in a few hours.   Trying to decided if I'll make bunt ends.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Captpablo - you have too high a quality hunk of perfectly smoked cow to lose your way down the burnt ends road.  Give the Aaron Franklin brisket payoff video (you tube) a look for how to slice and enjoy the whole thing.  The point is to die for and not in a burnt ends cook.  YMMV-  Enjoy the eats.   :)
    Edit: but it's your cow so enjoy however you want...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Captpablo
    Options
    @lousubcap Thank you....The book and show are one of the better tools available outside of this forum.  Only made a small amount of burnt ends based on a request from the host. The rest of it turn out fantastic. Tender and really nice bark.  I agree the point was probably favorite part. My issue was the fat that burned off into my drop pan seemed to fry the bottom.  It wasn't bad, but think it cooked much fast that it should have.  I'll work on posting a few photos today.
  • MelSharples
    Options
    All of this back and forth and no photos of the final cook? To quote Teddy KGB "I feel so unsatisfied"
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Great result right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MelSharples
    Options

Wow, looks great!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta