Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for Butts?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks-[p]I went to Sams Club today and bought 4 Boston Butts for a big BBQ I'm having tommorrow. I think 2 of them are 9 lbs each and 2 are 7 lbs each. I put them on at 12:30 pm today and I am holding the egg at 250 degrees. When do you expect they will be done? They are kind of leaned up against one another, does that matter?[p]Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again for all the help. Folks coming over around 3pm tomorrow.
Becks in MN

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Becks in MN,
    If they are all up against each other so you'd think it was one big piece of meat, then they might cook for longer. If they have some air between them, they shouldn't take too much longer than one butt. I'd bet they'll be done by morning. Assuming they will be done well before 3, if you wrap them in HDAF and then beach towels and place them straight into a cooler, they will hold at least 5 hours. I kept one butt over 140 degrees for 5 hours. Four butts together in a cooler should last longer, I'd think...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks for the info Whiz! At 10:30 PM they were already at 168 degrees. I may have to set the alarm for EARLY AM to check the temp.[p]Thanks again.
    Becks

• Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    Options
    Becks in MN,
    Just remember butts have a plateuou on temps, don't get impatient follow the whiz's advice thats my advice

• Unknown
    Options
    Pick,[p]Yep,[p]I'm at 182 right now. It is killing me since I am so impatient. I believe that as a completely attention deficit that low and slow might kill me. =) But I'm not touching til I hit 200!