Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drones Flying at EGGtoberfest

Options
Big_Green_Craig
Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
I thought this was pretty cool. He had planned to fly it longer, but the cops showed up... 

https://youtu.be/Kh8Qk_gioyo

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That's a Phantom.  Those things are fun.
    NOLA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Been lusting after a drone for a while now.  So the cops showed up because of the drone? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    @tarheelmatt  Yes. Something about a safety issue? I don't get it...
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Ahh.. well I think when flying over people they have landed on heads of folks.  Guess a liability issue.  

Another good reason for people to carry insurance if they're a photographer/videographer.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I think that the park is a no fly zone.   The FAA is regulating the flight areas of these things nowadays.    I believe they had one crash into the stadium at  Kentucky football game earlier this year.   

In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.  As I've never been to an eggfest, let alone what looks like a big one.  It was cool to see all those eggs and tents set up.

People are way too paranoid of drones these days....
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Ahh.. well I think when flying over people they have landed on heads of folks.  Guess a liability issue.  

Another good reason for people to carry insurance if they're a photographer/videographer.  
    If you are doing it professionally then you actually need a special airworthiness certificate from the FAA. I'm assuming this includes photography if you are getting paid for it. http://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#qn4

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options

If you are doing it professionally then you actually need a special airworthiness certificate from the FAA. I'm assuming this includes photography if you are getting paid for it. http://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#qn4
    Yeah, that too... But as a photographer, liability insurance is required in-case you're on a balcony and drop 7lbs of camera equipment on someones head.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.  As I've never been to an eggfest, let alone what looks like a big one.  It was cool to see all those eggs and tents set up.

People are way too paranoid of drones these days....
    Not paranoid, but I dont want some fool flying something over my head that anyone can buy at Best Buy.     And don't fly one over my house........

I get that its cool to be able to take the photo and video from up in the air, but there is also a responsibility that comes along with it.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I stopped going to a huge local car show because of drones. I don't want some pimple faced kid flying his drone directly over my car or the tens of millions of dollars worth of cars at the show. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yeah...they look harmless enough but they really shouldn't be flying them over a crowded area.  If they loose power they will drop like a rock.  Most of them are light enough that they won't cause serious damage but it could leave a nice bump on the head (or a nice ding in a sixty-something Camaro).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Or a half million dollar Lambo...
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I told my daughter, Eggs and drones are taking over the world. 

Further proof
    New Albany, Ohio 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I don't share that fear of drones.  The cheap ones are light.  The heavy ones are expensive enough that most people who own them already know how to fly them, and they have monitors to return to "home" when the batteries get low.

I know...sh*t can go wrong, and you probably have some story of some guy getting hit in the head with one, but it's extremely rare.  There are bigger things to worry about.  But yes, when asked the pilot should land it and he should be liable if he damages something with a crash.  Again, in the off chance of a crash over a crowd he is going to hit one thing...not every car in the show.  Just one of them.  Let's just hope it's the Prius.  =)

Don't own one personally, though.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks for the post anyway. I was not aware they were that noisy! You could tell when people heard it overhead and looked up or pointed at it. I thought there was more stealth involved. Peeking over the fence at the neighbor's hot wife sunbathing isn't going un-noticed that's for sure!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Stone Mountain is a no drone zone.  They call it a safety reason for other park-goers.

A local TV station here in Atlanta has been licensed by the FAA to use a drone for reporting.  They have to have an FAA Licensed Pilot to fly it, a spotter to watch it, and a videographer to control the video.  So 3 people to operate a device......  cost CRAZY!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Stone Mountain is a no drone zone.  They call it a safety reason for other park-goers.

A local TV station here in Atlanta has been licensed by the FAA to use a drone for reporting.  They have to have an FAA Licensed Pilot to fly it, a spotter to watch it, and a videographer to control the video.  So 3 people to operate a device......  cost CRAZY!!!!!

Dude, that's nothing compared the cost to operate a real helicopter.  When I flew for Fox, CBS, and NBC it cost them about $800/hr for the helicopter and pilot.  They supplied the cameraman and I can't remember if they owned the camera on the helicopter of if it was part of the lease.

7-8 yrs ago we launched on EVERYTHING--if someone had a flat tire during rush hour, we were getting footage.  When the economy crashed, it took mass disaster before they would call me in on a weekend.  That's about when I gave up that job.

As far as the drones go, those things scared the hell out of me when I worked as a pilot.  I can't imagine what it's like now.  Whether I was flying for the news, or I was in the air ambulance, we all had a good working relationship (including the police).  We kept out of each others way and respected who had priority.  That's never going to happen with the drones.

And yes a drone can take out a helicopter--depends on where it hits.  A kite can take out a helicopter.  Anyone in STL knows Forest Park and there's a HUGE hospital complex right next to it.  Whether I was landing on top of Barnes, Children's, or at the FOX2 pad, the kites were something we had to be very vigilant of.  There was signs all over the park telling people to keep them below 200ft, but none of those people measured or cared.  Get that string wrapped around the mast a hundred times over the matter of seconds and it will collapse the pitch links or jam the swash plate--and then you're dead.

The FAA is scrambling to figure out what the hell they're going to do on this.  And the "no fly zones" are not really enforceable at this point unless it's a sporting event, presidential, etc.  The FAA has a tough time going after anyone that doesn't have a pilot certificate either.  Civil penalties, yes, and they are really going to be hitting it hard to make an example out of these people--just like with the lasers (still got lit up frequently though.)

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I flew RC aircraft for a number of years.  Everyone abided by self-regulated rules.  #1 was never fly over people. Ever.

That being said, these things are NOT big enough to take out a plane.  It would be less damage than a plane  (speaking of a commercial jet) hitting a bird.  it will come apart a lot easier than a bird and do far less damage, but not enough damage to cause a crash.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I flew RC aircraft for a number of years.  Everyone abided by self-regulated rules.  #1 was never fly over people. Ever.

That being said, these things are NOT big enough to take out a plane.  It would be less damage than a plane  (speaking of a commercial jet) hitting a bird.  it will come apart a lot easier than a bird and do far less damage, but not enough damage to cause a crash.
    It's not going to take out a passenger jet......or anything that would require a type rating.  That's like a train vs. a car.

But they could do a lot of damage to a small passenger aircraft (airplane or helicopter) doing 100+ knots.  I wore a helmet visor down all the time, 99.9% of pilots don't.  A bird coming through the plexiglass windscreen can knock the pilot out and it's happened.  Plenty of other susceptible places it could hit.  Look at what a 100# deer will do to a 8000# SUV at 60 MPH.  Simple math on the damage these things can do. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Jonathan is right......  It doesn't take much to take down smaller aircraft. I had the unfortunate time of being in a seagull strike in a Vietnam era Huey that caused us to land hard on a beach. I broke my back. 

And do do you think that the average droner will check TFR's (Temp Flight Restrictions) over an area or even know what those are????

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have drone built by Yuneec. It has a GPS map of no fly zones programmed into the drone. You can't fly into those zones and you can't take off from inside those zones. It's mostly larger airports and military bases. It's also set from the factory to not fly higher than 300 feet. There are ways to get past both those features if you really wanted to, but I have no need.

I was flying the drone over my property a couple of weeks ago and I was under 200 feet taking pictures of the house. I hear this low hum coming from behind me and there's a private plane flying LOW over the trees headed right for me. I started dropping the altitude and I see the plane veer off. I was surprised how quiet this plane was. He circled all the way around and then flew right past me a second time. By then I had the drone on the ground. He looked to be almost the same altitude as the drone was. I assume he saw it and that's why he changed direction. But if he saw it in the air, then why would he circle around and fly right by where he saw it? I'd have avoided the area if I were the pilot.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @stlcharcoal

Did you fly helo's in the Navy?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    @Toxarch - I bet he was getting a GPS fix on your location to report you having a drone close to him.  Expect a phone call from the FAA in 6-8 months......

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    But they could do a lot of damage to a small passenger aircraft (airplane or helicopter) doing 100+ knots.  
    You are correct in your assessment.  I personally saw a 20 pound pelican cause a Bell 420 to have to emergency land in the gulf just north of Green Canyon Block 65. Sea Tow had to come get the helicopter. No one was injured and the copter was salvaged, but it could just as easily have been a disaster. Pelicans and drones have no business around aircraft in my book. Especially if I'm in the aircraft.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    @stlcharcoal

Did you fly helo's in the Navy?

Nope, all civilian.....20 yrs of it.  Ten years of air ambulance, five of electronic news gathering / traffic watch, and five of powerline/pipeline patrol, instruction, aerial photography, & tours.  Needed some more excitement, so I gave it up for charcoal.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Instead of a bird strike gotta worry about a drone strike. LMFAO