Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Purchase of a new pickup - OT

13»

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I haven't bought a truck in a long time. I do have a fairly serious question. What does something like a quad cab truck cost with average package really cost after haggling in today's world? i am also thinking about getting one as the kids are older, I am a Scoutmaster and am thinking about quads and boats
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @Jstroke I bought mine used, cpo from a dealer with 26k miles on it 11 months after original delivery date.  I saved $10-12k.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Mine was 46K. Sticker price 52K
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • As I'm shopping around, it appears that the sticker price is in the $48,000 to $51,000 level but I'm finding prices from $36,000 to $39,500. If I'm going to pull the trigger more haggling has to take place.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    There is a plethora of slightly used 1-2 yo trucks for sale - the drop in oil prices forced the exploration industry to lay off thousands of workers who no longer could afford their new trucks.  Shop nationally and you can find some really good deals....

You know when you drive the truck off the lot it instantly loses thousands of dollars in depreciation.  That loss could be your gain.  I never buy any vehicle new (although SWMBO does).  I'm a cheap bastard and I have mechanical skills.
    Mine is a few years old now, but when I bought it I paid $29k for an F-150 Lariat ecoboost super crew that was mid 40's new.  I agree with Nola, I would never buy one new.  I capped myself at $30k
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    There is a plethora of slightly used 1-2 yo trucks for sale - the drop in oil prices forced the exploration industry to lay off thousands of workers who no longer could afford their new trucks.  Shop nationally and you can find some really good deals....

You know when you drive the truck off the lot it instantly loses thousands of dollars in depreciation.  That loss could be your gain.  I never buy any vehicle new (although SWMBO does).  I'm a cheap bastard and I have mechanical skills.
    When I bought my 2011 new in 2012 it was only $1000 more then used 2 year old truck I was looking at.  It around 28,000 miles on it.  I thought it was worth the extra $1000 and my wife was able to get them to come up $1000 on my trade in, so it was wash in my book.  There are some good used trucks out there, but it doesn't hurt to check the price of a new one either.  The sticker was around $38,000, they gave me $8000 for my 2004 Chevy Ava and $8000 off in incentives.  Final total around $22,000.  Not bad to me.  The only thing I regret is not getting the next level up in the XLT package, but SWMBO said no, because it would cost another $4000.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's worth looking at all options, I concur.

This is what I know:

2015 Fords, with aluminum parts and panels should be ok, without having to worry too much about corrosion. From about 2002 to late 2014, corrosion issues are prevalent, most starting in the seams of the hoods and working their way out to surface areas. The copper content added to the aluminum alloy Fords had been constructed with, during 2002-2014, has been reduced to keep corrosion from occurring. Prior to 2002, Ford used a HV and TV chromium surface passivation process to prevent corrosion. Due to the heavy metals content of that process, they quit using it, but did not do what the other manufacturers did, by reducing the copper content of the alloy until late 2014 ( I am thinking November-December time line).

If corrosion is a concern to you, look under the hood around the seams before you buy.

Regarding body repair, the tools used and space required for the correct repair of aluminum is not unique to Ford. The use of tools to repair, and the possible contamination from other metals can create a process called galvanic corrosion. Two dissimilar metals in contact in an exposed environment, creating a very low voltage that, over time, leads to surface conditions extremely susceptible to corrosion.

Anyway, there is a class action suit in process, and I think it stems from the hood of a Mustang.

I have a 97 Expedition, it has been to hell and back. It is ready for the next trip. 178,000 miles, and keeps rolling. One thing is for sure, as long as I own this truck, I will never have to complain about having nothing to do. I am always fixing something.

I will keep it until it is no longer safe to transport my family, or using it becomes illegal.

I have been told the number one selling vehicle, at one time, was the Ford F150 in the United States. The number two selling vehicle, also at that time was used Ford F150s. Take that anyway you want.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I have the 2015 2.7 Eco and love it.  I sold my 2009 F150 FX4 5.4 v8 for the new ride.  The 2.7 Eco has more pep than the V8 did.  Better mileage and tows my boat better.  By better I mean I really cannot feel my boat.  My V8 was sluggish from a stop but had lots of power on the hwy.  Overall the new truck is just better in every way. 
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Chevy the only way to go....  There is not a truck or suv that rides better... And the seats are hands down more comfortable....  But I'm a Chevy man.....
    Thats what i thought too, until this week Tuesday when my plugs fouled at 56k and the fix was to replace my driver side valve cover with a redesigned  cover, and run a cleaner through the engine to prevent the piston rings from sticking.  This Happened out of the warranty period, so this is one might be on me.  My third party warranty refused to cover it.  Hoping the dealer and GM will come through for me as this is not something I planned to see with at 5 year old truck. Not happy.    That said, I do like how the truck rides and it's quiet. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Chevy the only way to go....  There is not a truck or suv that rides better... And the seats are hands down more comfortable....  But I'm a Chevy man.....
    Thats what i thought too, until this week Tuesday when my plugs fouled at 56k and the fix was to replace my driver side valve cover with a redesigned  cover, and run a cleaner through the engine to prevent the piston rings from sticking.  This Happened out of the warranty period, so this is one might be on me.  My third party warranty refused to cover it.  Hoping the dealer and GM will come through for me as this is not something I planned to see with at 5 year old truck. Not happy.    That said, I do like how the truck rides and it's quiet. 
    and that is why you don't buy 3rd party warranties on a car.  what you paid at time of purchase would have easily paid for this.  

most people either never use them, or end up getting the claim denied.  they should seriously be outlawed.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Wow, all I can say is that things have sure changed since I bought my last full size truck. I paid 11,000 for a brand new 1989 f-150. I drove that thing until I wore out all the running gear. After the axles were replaced and the hubs replaced and the third set of ball joints went, I finally sold it and bought a 1991 Ranger XLT. I drove that one all the way to Prudhoe Bay Alaska, down the Baja, to the tip of Key West and all over the east coast. It finally quit at 300,000. I guess a new one should last me awhile. I figure I will get a quad cab for the kids but honestly I don't need all the bells and whistles. Heck I don't even turn the radio on most of the time.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.