Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hamburger

HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
edited 10:13AM in EggHead Forum
OK, so this is really basic . . .[p]We've been buying Costco ground beef for some years, partially because its so lean at 88/12. The problem is that it really doesn't make very good hamburgers. Since I'm stuck with this ratio, I need a recipe that will juice up these things a bit . . . can someone help me here?
·

Comments

• Haggis,[p]Why not move to chuck? It's 80/20 and really makes good burgers. [p]Odis
    ·
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    The Pork Jesters ,[p]I agree. But that's for the future . . . I have many pounds of 88/12 and need help sooner rather than later! :)
    ·
  • Chef WilChef Wil Posts: 702
    Haggis,
    ever try a beef/pork blend?

·
  • eggoreggor Posts: 777
    Chef Wil,[p]I made up a bunch of sausage a while back, got plans to make more too. But I got to somehow justify spending the bucks on the meat grinder. Planned on grinding some of my own burger, but you just threw in a new twist on the idea![p]Any suggestions on a ratio... and any ideas for some sausages?[p]Scott

·
  • tn slagamatertn slagamater Posts: 623
    Haggis, you can add fat or pork...but ...have you tried cooking burgers at a low temperature on the Egg ?? They will be VERY moist even with low fat content. Cook at 250 dome temperature for 35 to 40 minutes....

·
    tn slagamater,[p]Thanks for the suggestion! I did try one time to cook slower, although maybe not at 250, but my spouse likes her meat on the red side and I cooked it too much for her taste. Can you achieve a medium rare on a slow cook with hamburger?
    ·
  • EggineerEggineer Posts: 30
    Haggis,
    Try putting a pat of seasoned butter inside the burger when you form it....has worked for us.

·
    Eggineer,[p]That's an interesting idea - sort of like injecting into a butt to keep it moist. I'll try it next time! Thanks.
    ·