Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on instant read thermometers

I am looking to buy an instant read thermometer.

i want one that will last me, I don't mind paying a little extra, but the BGE bring seems a little too pricy at 100$.

any advice???

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited October 2015
    Thermapen from Thermoworks. Accurate and quick.  A must tool. Will get readings in 3 seconds

Thermopop is the cheaper version but still made by Thermoworks. Will read in 6 seconds
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Thermapen from Thermoworks
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

The Thermo-Pop is also popular for about $25, or the RTC600
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited October 2015
    Thermapen is fantastic. If the price is a little much for you to jump in on buy a thermapop. They run about $30.00. I have one pen and two pops. Probably will get a backlit pen next time I have a little extra scratch. Absolutely a must have for any type of cooking.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Anyone had issue with their thermapen ? Warranty issues or replacements?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I've never had any issues and those that have say Thermoworks is a stellar company to work with.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    YOu can save a couple buck and get the last version, I have one, it's great.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/classic_thermapen.html

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I love my thermopop. I use to have a thremapen. For my use the thermapen  isn't worth the extra cash.
  • Have a green Thermopop on my XL table and wife has a purple one in kitchen. 100% accurate and could not cook without them.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Thermapen 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thermapen hands down... Anything you cook inside or outside is better
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I have 2 and am trying to figure out how to buy the new one.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I was using a rectal thermometer but only goes to, like 110F, so after a few dozen cooks where everything turned out raw, I splurged on a thermapen.  My life and cooks changed for the better.  I still try to shake the mercury down on the thermapen, habit I guess.

Your steaks haven't been quite the same, though.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like my steaks raw, so yes.
    slovelad said:
    Anyone had issue with their thermapen ? Warranty issues or replacements?

Themoworks is one of the great companies of our time.  Products are great quality and intuitive.  You can talk to a real person, and my experience is they are always friendly.  Customer service second to none.

I've got a Thermopen, Timestick trio, and a ThermaQ.  All are impressive and used regularly.

Phoenix 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thermapen from Thermoworks
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

The Thermo-Pop is also popular for about $25, or the RTC600

Thermoworks products and service are excellent. Get a thermapen if you can, otherwise the thermopop will also serve you well. I had the RTC600, but I was always changing batteries since I would forget to turn it off and the battery would run down. It wasn't backlit either. The thermopop is backlit and turns itself off.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    slovelad said:
    I am looking to buy an instant read thermometer.

i want one that will last me, I don't mind paying a little extra, but the BGE bring seems a little too pricy at 100$.

any advice???
    My Thermapen is eight years old and still going strong. That should meet your criteria of one that lasts.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @nolaegghead just be very careful using the thermapen rectally. That could be painful. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @nolaegghead just be very careful using the thermapen rectally. That could be painful. 
    Also be careful going rectal to oral in more ways that one.....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Sur La Table has a good pen for about 25$ which has lasted me, so far, nearly 2 years.   I use it for MORE than cooking, too.   Air temp?  Temp output of car AC?  Even Indoor / Oven cooks.  
  • scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    I waited forever and balked at the idea of paying for a thermapen.  Finally bought one the other day for 75.00ish on sale.  I've used it twice so far and absolutely love it.  Open lid, probe the meat, take reading and close again.  Its just that quick.  I also plan to use it for my home brewing beer as well. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Thermapen from Thermoworks on an open box sale.  happens a few times a year.  If not, Thermapen at full price.  The BGE and the Thermapen make me a very good cook.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 22
    I bought a Weber Instant read thermo, so far so good. $14 bucks, YMMV
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    PM1 said:
    I bought a Weber Instant read thermo, so far so good. $14 bucks, YMMV
    How long have you had it? And how long does it take to read?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    The Thermapen is a very good tool. I've bought many tools more than once. The first go-around, I thought I would save some money and it would be just as good. On the second go-around, I bought what I should have bought the first time. It's like the egg, lots of people buy something "like it" and then realize they should have just gotten what they wanted in the first place. It's also like the egg in that buying quality only hurts once. Buy one... you won't regret it.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2016
    I was using a rectal thermometer 
    It's the little things like this why I never stay for the night ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited January 2016
    I got a thermapen for Christmas. It lives up to the hype. It has already changed the way I cook. It's so nice to slide it into a piece of food and know the temp in an instant. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Paying $100 (or catching them on sale) only hurts once. TP are a reliable tool to own. Own 2 myself and use at least one of those daily. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL