Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar plank salmon

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a hard time with this one...I got the egg at about 375 with a soaked plank. I put the plank on for about 20 minutes before adding salmon. The salmon just takes forever to cook. I was told to let the cedar actually char and pop before putting on fish, but at that point smoke is pretty much gone. Any suggestions?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    dunno who toldja THAT![p]tell them to buy you replacement planks.[p]soak them and then toss the fish on them, then straight into the grill.[p]you want the barest hint of cedar. it's a soft wood, and resiny, and can give you a strong 'refinery' taste if there's too much smoke.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Stewchi
    Stewchi Posts: 1
    Options
    I cooked Cedar plank Tilapia on my Lg Egg last night. This is my first week with the egg, and my first fish cook with it, it was also my first cedar plank cook. I soaked the plank in water for over an hour, shook the water off, drizzled it with olive oil put 4 filets on it and stuck it on top of the grill extender with tin foil underneath (indirect) I also put 4 ABT on the grill with them, plus 3 tomatoes and a large portabella mushroom. Our entire meal was cooked on the BGE and it was amazing. My 2 year old that will not eat anything, ate 2 Tilapia filets, I could not believe it. I used small filets I get from Wallmart supper center. They come in a 4 pound box individually vacuum packed and frozen.
    I put the egg at 300 and cooked the filets for 20 minutes (10 per side) then turned it up to 400 and cooked the rest of the food for another 20 minutes.
    The Tilapia was really easy, coat in olive oil and sprinkle with Tony’s seasoning Really Really Really good.
    When I was done the cedar plank was still in great shape, no charring, it warped a little but that was it. I just washed it and plan to re-use it again.

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    stike,
    Your right about that! I have four very large cedar trees in my yard. Cut a piece of some dead dried limb and threw it in the egg. WOW! Very over powered with smoke. A little goes a long way.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]Unless you have strange tastes, you do not want to use cedar for smoke - only for planking. Remember that cedar is an evergreen and evergreens are what they make turpentine from [or are you too young to be familiar with turpentine as the all-purpose solvent? :) ]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    stike,[p]I think the "wait until they pop" method is what most sources recommend for cedar planking. I don't know why that is because I rarely plank, but my guess is that it means the plank has heated up enough to assist the cooking process and maybe the fish doesn't stick or something. And if you put the plank and fish in cold, I wonder if you are getting anything from the cedar -- I'd think it'd be about the same as putting it on a cold pizza stone or something (which may not be a bad idea, as I think about it.)
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Haggis,
    At 50 I'm not too young, just a short mental lapse in judgment. It's not permanent, I hope. I did make sure it was not "green." Only advantage was that most every kind of insect known to man, except mosquitos, left town! I figure as tuff as them skeeters are they were camping out in the branches of my trees.