Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

deep frying questions

Options
I'm planning to deep fry some empanadas for a Halloween Party in my wok. I need some tips or suggestions/tips to deep fry safely. Also, is it easy to control the temp with the lid open and adjusting the bottom vent? Thanks.
Mundelein, IL

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Man, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. I would use a outdoor fish fryer type setup or the stove. I would hate to have a huge grease fire in the egg, or have the grease pour over and get in the ceramic. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    People have done it, but I'm with miles. I use a turkey/fish fryer when I want to fry things. Better tool for the job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    egg open, lower vent completely closed, wait about 20 minutes for the fire to disappear, then fry, have a plan like a wok cover to snuff the flames out. HAVE A PLAN to walk away if necessary and DO NOT do this near the house or on a wood deck etc
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/411297/ice-fishing-and-egging

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i would like to point out that i prefer grease fires outside and not stove top indoors ;)
    fukahwee maine

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Ask @BigGreenCraig....  I've seen him do a fry on a wok recently.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• MelSharples
    Options
    Why risk it? Too many variables that are not easily controlled and can get away from you in a hurry. Especially if you are cooking for company. If it were me, I would cook them outside using a turkey fryer. A knob on a gas line is a hell of a lot more reliable than a bed of charcoal. But that's just my 2 cents...
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    safer to do it outside in the egg than on your stove top inside the house.

if there's a fire? shut the dome and lower vents.  done

it's no safer doing this inside.  grease fire is grease fire.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    TIPS:
    1) You want a mature fire, meaning coals and not flames.
    2) Pour the oil in the wok BEFORE placing the wok on Egg. This will eliminate any accidental pourings.
    3) The oil temp will be hotter than the dome temp. 
    4) The oil level will raise as you add items. (very important so you don't cook over and experience an oil fire) 
    5) In the event of a fire, close the dome and shut off all of the oxygen. Walk away for an hour or so. 
    6) Exercise extreme safety measures while attempting this.  

Good luck! 
  • EggPlant
    Options
    After reading some comments I'm starting get scared. I'll probably cook something else. Thanks
    Mundelein, IL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    EggPlant said:
    After reading some comments I'm starting get scared. I'll probably cook something else. Thanks
    Nah, no big deal. Just know that you're using oil over fire. Just use common sense.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i agree with Big_Green_Craig, its not that big of a deal. turkey fryers, gas stoves etc your dealing with the same thing, fire. with the wok you use alot less oil than a flat bottom fryer. with the lower vent shut and dome open the flames dissapear, just some muted red coals, no fire lapping up around the wok
    fukahwee maine

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I've cooked fries in the wok on the mm a few times. Just be careful when loading food in and again unloading. 

I've only had one fire.  =) it was no big deal.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    My Dad used to always say you can drive a nail with a shovel, but a hammer works much better. Same goes with a wok or fryer on the egg, it can be done but if you have another alternative available, use it. Deep fryer or fish fryer is the best and safest. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    While you can, why if you don't have to. Unless you're at an eggfest take the safe road. I've heard of guys egging Papa Murphys pizzas... Why? Plus you'll save on lump. It can be done though.... Either way. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    "After reading some comments I'm starting get scared." or translation: "after ignoring some of the comments, I am starting to get scared"  :) JK

FWIW, there's a pic of a dude deep frying at the official BGE eggfest.

and I stood next to a mouth-breather as he made funnel cakes at another eggfest, also deep frying.

as craig said, no flames.  with no flames, it's the same as deep frying on your stoe top in a dutch oven.  except, well, safer.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Sounds like time to buy a deep fryer. That's what I did and have no regrets. It is just another tool to get the job done right.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I do not see the reason to fear. I do it all the time with no issues. There is no greater risk if your doing it in your egg or a turkey fryer. Boil over with open flame burner or lump are no different. I would think the egg is safer and more controllable if you have a issue than a turkey pot set up. Just have to be vigulent of what your doing. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited October 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    While you can, why if you don't have to. Unless you're at an eggfest take the safe road. I've heard of guys egging Papa Murphys pizzas... Why? Plus you'll save on lump. It can be done though.... Either way. 
    Just about to take off the third Papa Murphys pizza on the egg tonight! Last minute guests and my oven hasn't worked in 4 years. =) Why use an oven if you don't have to. ;)=)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Why wouldn't you use a propane burner ( you can buy them for $20) where you can modulate the temp?  Egg is hard to modulate with the lid open.  I feel the same way about woks.  Life is just too easy to not drink and use a cordless drill to pound in a nail.
    Options
    What is deep frying? Is that a northern thing?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SGH said:
    In the south you folks call it boiling, only using oil instead of water I think....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    SGH said:
    In the south you folks call it boiling, only using oil instead of water I think....
    Or just frying. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:
    Now I remember....... I must be getting old and senile ;)  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I fry fish all the time in the wok and on the egg never a problem. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm my opinion it is no different then any other cooking option. Heat and fire can be dangerous if not properly monitored. Does the oil add another element? Yes. But as long as you are careful it's going to be fine.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm just saying it's the wrong tool for the job.  If it makes you happy, then you're doing the right thing.  
    Options
    If you fry on your egg, make sure you don't have a handle sticking out or a misalignment of the vessel where when you close the lid in an adrenaline charged panic as flames shoot out and burn off your arm hair you don't tip or flip the vessel with the hot oil into the fire and all over the place and create a fireball. 

If you are one to panic, or you're drunk or high as a kite, or you throw your breaks on your motorcycle because you see a flashing blue light, just make sure you can slam that lid down and nothing is going to tip over.

I cook on a wood deck.  No way I'm going to fry on my egg when I have 10 different cooking options to control the temp and fry, and not spend all that effort loading, lighting and trying to regulate a lump fire when it doesn't improve the quality of the cook (degrades it if anything).

Get a clip on thermometer, get a propane burner, regulate the oil temp with a regulator....you can jack up the fire when the temp drops when you add your food.  You can lower it when you reach your oil setpoint.  Fire instantly responds to a twist on a regulator.  Just seems plain idiotic to try to this on an egg.  Everyone on this forum can afford a $20 propane burner and a tank of propane. 

So sorry if I'm a ****, but all this wok and frying on a smoker/grill just makes me shake my head. Hey, lets cut prosciutto with our table saw.
    Options
    Fair an induction burner and a CI Dutch oven work great for deep frying with no open flames. There is of course still the disfiguringly hot oil to worry bout though. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    We used this setup at Eggtoberfest. It's a spider and wok from CGS. The ring in the spider worked perfectly for holding the round bottom wok. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @EggPlant   You asked "Also, is it easy to control the temp with the lid open and adjusting the bottom vent?"  No it is not easy to control the oil temperature using lump as the heat source.  Maintaining a given oil temp is important for deep frying.  This is not easy to do in the egg. There are better options available.  

If the oil gets too hot, there are no good options available to cool it off quickly. Changing air flow will slowly lower the lump temp, but not soon enough to prevent the oil from smoking (bad for flavor even if you don't get a fire).  Picking up a wok full of hot oil to remove it from the heat source is a very very bad idea. 

You would be much better off getting an electric fryer for small items like the 
    empanadas you plan to make.  Immersion element fryers for home use can be had for about $50 these days.  They maintain oil temp nicely, have breakaway cords, cool touch sides, and can be place on a solid surface away from all of your less than attentive party guests.  Far less expensive than an emergency room co-pay.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.