Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make chicken wings have crispy skin?

Options
So I bought an AR rig partly because I could put wings up high and get the wings really crispy.  I tried it out last night and put them on the extended grill high in the dome with an indirect setup with the stone in.  they cook so fast that I have to pull them so they don't get to dry.  Any suggestions?  do I just do  a direct setup?

Comments

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Salt the wings and then let them sit in the fridge for a couple hours.  The salt seems to draw some moisture out of the skin.  Then I towel dried them and put a light coat of canola oil on them.  Then just season to taste with your favorite rub.  I cooked raised indirect at 425 ish for about 45 minutes.  They were the crispiest Ive ever made on the grill.  I did brush them with my wing sauce after about 30 minutes.  Turned out great.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I go indirect at around 400 for around an hour.  What I have found works is I toss the wings the night before cooking in corn starch, shake off an excess, and sit on a rack in the fridge.  Then I give a light spray with canola oil and add rub.  Nice and crispy. I think the key is to render out the fat...once that happens they crisp up.
    Toronto ON
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Mmmmmm....  now I want some wings. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I use the AR and put them at the highest level. Indirect at 400-425 until they look right, about 40-50 minutes. If I have time I let them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight, but if not then I don't notice that much of a difference. I usually put a light coating of corn starch on before my rub, they always turn out nice and crispy. Wings on the egg are a favorite.

If I am doing a big batch and they all don't all fit on the top, the method changes a bit since the ones on the top get done much quicker then the lower ones.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • MelSharples
    Options
    Season then light coat of corn starch. Let them sit uncovered in the fridge for an hour or more then cook raised indirect at 350. Hasn't failed me yet...
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I do as most here do. I put in frig over night uncovered. I do corn starch before I put on the grill. I actually have a container with corn starch and rub mixture. I use this for wings only.  I think the main key is temperature of the grill. I try to cook them at 375 to 400 dome.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm a corn starch fan also. As you may already know corn starch is extremely fine so I use this tea strainer as a wand to lightly perform the "dusting".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Fry them.
    In your egg.  Advanced technique. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Search function will yield many answers/options.  And if you don't find it here use google and add big green egg.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    First, this might also be a good time to calibrate your thermometer if you haven't done so for a while.  For me, I find that if I am using the extender, a dome reading of 350 to 375, cooked indirectly for about an hour for legs or thighs, works great.  I do check on them at about 35 minutes to turn and move around a bit to account for any hot spots on the grill.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Chef_Hobo
    Options
    I'll probably have a few disagree with me here or have most scratching their heads in confusion, but don't knock it until you try it.  My parents taught me a trick that I use anytime I'm cooking wings (grill, smoked, indirect or fried). 

Soak the wings in white distilled vinegar (I promise you, it will not taste like vinegar after it's cooked) with a few shakes of garlic salt for at least a half hour before the cook.  Drain the liquid (without rinsing) and if you're smoking or grilling, go ahead and sprinkle your rub.  Cook as you normally would. 

I also usually open the vents for the last 5 minutes of the cook (once the wings reach 165 internally) and let the temperature get pretty hot to give it a nice browning.  They usually come out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.  My wife, who usually detests anything vinegary, loves it when I make chicken wings (usually the indirect method).
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 22
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I cook them two ways:

1. Two zone, 350º, first indirect, finish direct. Juicy and crispy. Took me a few tries though...

2. Direct 350º, gotta be more careful and turn them a few times.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    1:4 ratio Cornstarch:Rub
    Uncovered in fridge overnight
    Raised direct @ 400
    Eat crispy or toss in sauce and eat crispy and sauced.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Damn.  Now I'm dying for some chicken wings! 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I'm in the coat with corn starch or baking powder and rub camp and cook indirect at 400f. I use a plastic bag add some wing and the coating and shake .
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    Raised direct, anywhere between 400-425. Flip every few minutes. Pretty much always come out crispy, whether I remember to salt early or not. One of my favorite cooks. 
  • carl292
    carl292 Posts: 44
    Options
    This is a popular recipe from awhile back but definitely one we use a lot with some variations, that will add to the crispness. 
    1/3 C honey
    1/3 C brown sugar
    1/3 C siracha ( trust me not spicy,  just lil) 
    1 small jar of orange marmalade. 

Dust your wings with whatever u like,  cook indirect for 1 hr at 350 grate temp. While that is cooking,  mix all the above ingredients and simmer til brown sugar dissolves. At the end of 1 hr,  brush one side with sauce cook 10 mins, flip brush other side with sauce,  cook a other 10 mins and they should look crispy good. These are awesome. 

BTW,  we also do a spicy honey garlic withe the same time,  temps and measurements.  But with different ingredients and it's also great.  I think the honey is the key for the crisp skin. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Crispy skin is over rated. I've cooked wings dozens of times on my big green egg and no one seems to be concerned about whether the skin is crispy. I've never had anyone complain. 

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Rebhanmh
    Options
    I typically marinate in dry rub and no oil for about 4 hours. Then put on direct at 250* with non raised grid for 1 hour and 20 min. I flip at 45 min mark and don't glaze but you could if you desire. I found around 1 hour and 15 min it starts to get crispy. Depending on your preference I would cook a few min before or after that mark. I love wings and do them almost weekly so it's a tested experiment lol!
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I cooked mine indirect 1 time but had 2 or 3 over hanging over direct those 3 were crispy the others sucked. Now I go direct 400.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Holy cow!  Raised direct after overnight in fridge uncovered!  No voodoo dust (although it might be awesome) and whatever rub.  Turn a couple times.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    I need another recipe - I smoked 2 different types of wings.  chipotle and alton brown.  Both are way too salty.  I brined them for an hour so that might have done it but I am guessing the kosher salt I used on the rub I put on them did it.  Suggestions?
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    No one has mentioned this technique yet, and it was my favourite way to get crispy skin on chicken wings.

275º up high, direct, using a very small fire. The important part of this method is to use a small amount of lump in the Egg to have a small fire. It is wroth trying.