Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool down?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used my large BGE for the first time yesterday. I was cooking about 400 degrees and shut down all vents when I was finished. I checked about 3 1/2 hours later and it was still 200 degrees. Is this normal or do I have an air leak? I do have a small gap in the insulation at the back of the machine.

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    EarlJ, I would say you are ok that is whats nice about the ceramic it holds heat for a long time but i am sort of a newbie myself i am sure someone else will respond

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    EarlJ, you have a small air leak - and so do all the rest of us. It's not unusual for an EGG to retain its heat for quite a while. The same properties that make it so efficent in burning lump also make it hold that heat for some time. That is one reason we always urge people to work their way up to their desired temperature rather than to go above it and work it back down. If cooling quickly is a requirement, remove all the lump from the firebox (place into a metal container with water)and then leave the EGG open. It will then cool down in 30-45 minutes or so (ask all the folks who buy one from a EGGfest). The best part is that when cooled, you can take all that lump and spread it out to dry and reuse it. Of course the question you would have to ask is, "Why would I go through all that when I can just close the vents and wait?"

• Unknown
    Options
    EarlJ,[p]I havn't had a fire in mine since yesterday and it is reading 155F from just setting on the patio in the sun. And yes - the thermometer is calibrated. I think it is going to be a long hot summer without my shade trees.
  • trackman
    trackman Posts: 47
    Options
    This is definitely normal. I've had the egg up to 700 cooking steaks and you should see how long it holds temperature when you get it that high.