Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Drink Choices?

Options

Comments

• jrj3rd
    jrj3rd Posts: 17
    Options
    Blanton's on the rocks - done

1 LBGE - 1 KettlePizza - 1 seldom used Weber Summit

• jackstraw77
    Options
    I like Eagle Rare from Buffalo Trace because I prefer a 100+ proof for sipping.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Blanton's on the rocks is the call. However, best bang for the buck if you're pouring free drinks for a bunch of people is Elijah Craig, 12 year. I am a Maker's fanatic but the EC is very good and cheaper in my neck of the woods.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Any and all...well most...
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited October 2015
    Options
    IMO best bang for the buck is Elmer T Lee... I can usually snag a bottle for $26..I also like Elijah Craig and Evan Williams single barrel.

if you want to step it up I love Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Elmer T Lee disappeared from down here for over a year, finally found it for $40 still a deal. Any of the Wellers are killer also 
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Brown Derby:
    Bourbon, grapefruit juice, simple syrup or agave nectar
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm not a big bourbon drinker, but do enjoy me some Eagle Rare 15yr.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    I enjoy Knob Creek Rye.  It is on sale at Meijer for $30.

I have read that WhistlePig is the best but I have not had an opportunity to enjoy it.  
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    1)  Old Fashioned (NO fruit, except maybe an orange twist). 2oz Bulleit or other good Bourbon, 1/4 oz simple syrup (1:1 sugar:water), 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters.
    2)  "Fall Classic" -- really, really good.  You have to make a thyme syrup, but it's easy, and this is one great Fall cocktail.
    3)  "Vampire Blues," also fun for Fall, has a little pumpkin butter in it, of all things, but it's good.  From the famous bar, "Death & Co."
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Woodford... Woodford... And then Woodford 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    jakebge said:

I have read that WhistlePig is the best but I have not had an opportunity to enjoy it.  
    It's really good.  I don't know about the "best".  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Chillin@5
    Options
    Can't go wrong with woodford reserve, Angel's Envy almost always pleases and the bottle is so cool, but nothing better than Jefferson Ocean. I prefer mine with 3 cubes, my husband likes it neat! Enjoy!
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I went to a cool place in Pensacola called The Old Hickory. It's a whiskey bar, and their signature cocktail is called (oddly enough) The Old Hickory.  The recipe is:
     THE OLD HICKORY
    Buffalo Trace, Dolin Sweet & Dry Vermouths and Bitters. Served in a hickory-smoked glass. 

The hickory smoked glass didn't impart a ton of flavor to the drink, but it was a cool effect, and made the entire bar smell pretty great.  There is a slab of hickory that the bartender chars with a small butane torch. Once it gets smoldering, he puts a rocks glass over it.  The glass fills with smoke, and it stays there for a few minutes.  He mixed the rest of the ingredients in a shaker and as soon as he flipped the glass over he poured in the drink and garnished with a lemon slice.

im thinking you could drop a few hickory chips on the charcoals until they were smoldering, then put the glasses over it. That would be a cool way to incorporate the meal and the drink.  

In any case, go with Buffalo Trace.  Or Makers.  Or Four Roses.  

I love bourbon

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    SaltySam said:

In any case, go with Buffalo Trace.  Or Makers.  Or Four Roses.  

I love bourbon
    ^^this
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Bourbon Slushies -
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    me thinks some others have already waded in the shallow end here, but I will chance diving in the deep end! Do you really know the tastes of all your guests? I mean will all of them be willing to drink the SAME batch of whatever you serve? Over the years I have learned my guests prefer to choose their poison, not what is made up in advance and sitting there. And to buy expensive booze which is being seriously diluted with what ever mixers you choose then my advice is to make sure the concoction you fix will be something YOU like and will be willing to store and drink for the next month or whatever. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • annjamaican
    Options
    2: bourbon
    1: lemon juice
    0.5: maple syrup, more or less depending on your taste
    garnish with cinnamon stick

OR

1: bourbon
    1: club soda
    1: ginger ale

- Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    jakebge said:

It's really good.  I don't know about the "best".  
    Lock, Stock & Barrel Rye is the best whiskey I've ever had.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I can't help y'all much with cocktails but have been known to pour some Weller's in a Coke Zero or putting a wee nip of Elmer T. Lee in a Founders Breakfast Stout, aka "homemade KBS". Mostly a craft beer or two while cooking and a li'l bit of whiskey for dessert type of guy.

Just wanted to ask where are y'all finding Elmer T. Lee? Haven't found it in Texas (Dallas area) the last couple of years so usually get it in TN. Was In TN last month and no luck in Memphis, Jackson or Nashville. Was told in Nashville and Jackson that when it shows up it's grabbed up quickly so I have my nephew in Jackson watching for me.

ETL is my sippin' whiskey (down to 1.5 bottles) but can make do with Eagle Rare or Willett's.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• carl292
    carl292 Posts: 44
    Options
    Makers with a couple ice cubes and it's a done deal.  Forget the fu fu stuff..... 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    frognot said:
     or putting a wee nip of Elmer T. Lee in a Founders Breakfast Stout, aka "homemade KBS". 
    Tell me more about this.  Is it a completely different taste with the bourbon as compared to the bourbon barrel flavor?  TIA.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Acn said:
    Another rec for the Old Fashioned:

I don't even drink. However after seeing this, I'm fixing to start. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options

Was thinking of this: Bourbon Maple Cider

6oz or bourbon

4 teaspoons of fresh lemon Juice

4 teaspoons of Maple syrup

1 cup of Apple cider

apple slice garnish and ice

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a Manhattan. 

Being from New Orleans I have to recommend the grandfather of all whiskey drinks, the Sazerac, which is traditionally made with rye whiskey, but you could use bourbon and it will be fine.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    god fathers can be made with bourbon or rye as well.  make sure to use disaronno over plain ammaretto
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Elijah Craig.  1 bottle for each guest

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Jim Beam Honey has been the choice for me lately
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• boostfed
    Options
    classic old fashioned sipper here. Buffalo trace is a very smooth and easy drinker, Bulleit has a little more bite to it. Eagle trace, evan williams and basil hayden are all on the list for upcomers.
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    How big is the party?  From your description it sounds like a dinner party size...    I think having a "signature cocktail" at that size is fun.

I would vote for a Sazerac (http://cocktails.about.com/od/s/r/szrc_cktl.htm)

If it is a larger party I would batch make 2 items for ease and also provide a DIY cocktail area
    1) Martini base (gin + vermouth) and provide accents (olives for dirty, pearl onions for gibsons, etc). 
    2)  Manhattan

Also for a larger party consider a Prosecco punch.  You can premix batches of everything expect the Prosecco and just pour it together when necessary.  Lots of recipes online for that.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA