Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serious question please.

Options
2»

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    New Hampshire man, son of a Vermonter, who lives near Boston

about the sourest bastard you can imagine. Except when i ain't
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I'll have to try and think a bit more next time I post a question on a whim because my head is elswehere and clearly not on food, or cure. Or i'll just google it. Its not the first time. My head was spinning and I had not even thought or remebered I had the bellies in there at the time, knee jerk reaction as I was scrambling around trying to keep up.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No worries.  When the sour bastard comes out, so do others of that ilk.
    Options
    Jeezus people

can we try to remember what curing is actually for?

you could throw this on your counter for a week and it would still be fine

when did people start thinking things become deadly after a few days in the fridge?

When I joined the forum...   I'm a wuss about storage
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited October 2015
    Options
    fwiw, alberta, i went back and said (buried in that long reply) that it wasn't your question that really sparked it.

so, apologies (second apology, too, for the record :) ).

just was venting about stuff in general here, where we see the same stuff over and over again. "same stuff" including forum regulars calling people out about the same questions over-n-over (that's be me in the example), in addition to young bucks challenging people to put up (posts pics) or shut up (that'd be our protector in this thread bgebrent).

so, no harm no foul as far as i am concerned.

but yeah, deep down i do wonder why some folks are afraid of their food and will toss something out with no qualms rather than just, i dunno, understand what they have and what they're doing.

you could have bought that pork belly, never cured it, tossed it in the fridge, and eaten it a year from now.  a refrigerator is a wonderful thing.

would it be fresh pork belly a year from now, uncured? no  would it be unsafe? well, maybe.  depends how you store it. safer unwrapped.

on a rack, unwrapped in your fridge it will just keep drying and shrinking.  fine for a year or so or beyond, just not as nice fresh bacon.  it will become something else (like aged beef does).

depends what people want to end up with.  but it won't kill you. 

i literally have a pork cheek in my fridge that's probably two year's old.  i'm sure someone would have thrown it out after a week, but i would bet the house they couldn't explain a clinical/logical reason to do so, other than "the wife told me to"  :)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw, it was no "put up or shut up" here pal, a simple I'd like to see some of this guys food, he knows a lot of shlt. But I get it and that's cool. Made for a fun thread me thinks. Looking forward to the next newbie cure question!  Brent "The Protector"
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw , no problem, I actually never read the entire post anyways, and no worries, I am not one with or for soft feelings.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Skiddy, not sure what you mean

bgebrent: thanks for the suggestion. But nah bruh. Posted hundreds of cooks and pics over the years, with artfuly composed pics 'just so' and long detailed explanations of the process. Early adopter of a lot of the bandwagon stuff, enthusiastic helper, belabored sharing of perhaps too much detail or explanation, goer-to of a few fests, meeter of a number of old timer cool people

and i/we often ran into that old guy on the forum who was driving us crazy because he was tired of hearing the same stuff over and over despite the fact the he and *his* old guard had explained things a million times and posted their cooks a million times and they'd still encounter the same questions. Drove the dude crazy. Old man!

Fast forward fifteen years, i'm that guy

it's a conveyor belt, man. There is literally nothing new here. But that's ok. Some day you'll be the cranky old man say obscure sh!t you think everyone already knows because you heard it a thousand times and "dang these meddling kids!"

and i suppose it's now my turn to be the old man grousing about crap and who never posts a cook because, frankly, i don't care what bgebrent (or anyone else) thinks about my cooking ability (and neither should you). I have twenty thousand posts in the other forum if you really wanna learn how i made bacon ten years ago (after nature boy posted it a year before that, or what pepper mill i own (a magnum, ten years ago), or how i affixed my rutland (with high temp silicon, ten years ago, after [i think] photoegg or egginator did it), or any of a hundred other topics, or when i started pimping oil and napkin (after egginator again mentioned it), or if you wanna read my asking WessB to "post a cook, man" (because i was you then, and he was me, see?). [NB: wess is a cooler early forum member who got more grief than he should have, while giving more grief than he should have. Was good times, man. Good times...]

For clarity's sake: i mention twenty thousand posts NOT as any claim to legitimacy or fame or as a credential-girding footnote. I mention it as a shrug, a pathetic reference to the fact that this stuff just keeps rolling along. That sword cuts both ways, btw. For anyone thinking that 20k posts means they are vital or important, remeber that it's also a sign of not having anything better to do.

I'm not special. There are dudes here with way more time in country. And it doesn't mean they (or I)know more. It just is what it is. 

But the reverse is true. Just because someone doesn't have a lot of posts doesn't give anyone the right to trot out the 'post a cook or shut up' line. Sorry. 

Regardless, time moves on. it's a new crowd's forum. And that's fine. Don't go asking people for credentials. 

i'm also now at the age when that guy next to me at the light is revving to go, and squeals the tires when the light turns green. Been there. Done that. And now it's his turn to be the tuff guy. 

My grumpy reaction was at the end of a long day. Apologies

but at the root of it IS a frustration with the lack of intellectual curiosity and the apparent inability these days of folks to solve their own stuff. And it ain't THIS guy either. It ain't about his bacon question. 

But part of me wonders how far we have gotten from our food that we don't understand the basics

[a correction: you couldn't simply throw he meat on the counter and it'd be 'fine'.  You'd wanna hang it so it could dry fairly quicky on the surface. The wet counter-side would be bad for quality. The top side would dry, but the bottom would be wet and perhaps grow some bacteria. Tie it though, touching nothing but itself, and hang, and she'd form a quick pellicle and be safe to eat as long as you had the courage to let it hang in your basement. That's WHY we cured. No one cured pork originally because they liked ham. They ended up with ham because they had slaughtered a multi hundred pound animal and needed to store their meat. Same for all charcuterie.]

TL/DR: blah blah ramblings of a cranky old man. Mostly in jest, btw. But as we have not met, i do not get the benefit of the "i know this guy" default tone of voice afforded others. That's the way of the (or perhaps of any) forum

EDIT: tried fixing the phone spelling issues. Gave up after a half hour. Dang iPhones! When i was a kid your blackberry had actual buttons and a keyboard as big as a damn buick dashboard. Why, you kids and your fancy google glasses and your snapface with the talk-into-it automatic microphone spelling! I just may go down to the community room fot the intrduction to AOL class my senior center is having.  It's also cinnamon applesauce night in the dining room. Need to get a good seat. They're showing Matlock on the big screen during dinner at 4:30. 

EDIT2: unrelated topic for discussion; Meatloaf is pate'. You like meatloaf, and so whether you know it or not, you also like pate'. It's probably, being a red blooded american man, you just think the name sounds fey, and that french crap can (for we insular 'murican types) seem simultaneously intimidating and wimpy. 

Twenty thousand posts on the old forum? Jeezus man you should be in therapy! What handle did you go by back in the day?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Tweevz_bff
    Options
    Best thread I've read on here in a while! I hadn't put the pieces together to know St!ke was back. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @littlesteven, it took me three or four years of "constant" posting to hit 17k posts.  i was told i apparently had "nothing better to do".  i think you hit about 20k there too, (if not here too  :) )

i'm pretty sure a couple members of the ONE-year club here have ALREADY hit that count, fwiw.

some of my handles?

stike
    st!ke
    pixelpaint
    biggreendave
    stripsteak
    Estragon
    Lothar of the Hill People
    ghost-of-Lothar-of-the-Hill-People
    ghost-of-samuel-beckett's-ghost
    ghost-of-stike
    st¡ke
    zipplylip
    Man Behind the Mask
    Tweev
    Tweeve
    Tweev-tip
    Tweev-tip!
    Tweev-Tip!!
    Tweev-Tip!!!
    Fidel
    McNuttly
    Spring Chicken
    fishlesswoman
    Mangrates
    LittleStephen

etc. etc.

rumor has ir, one night, in 2007, there was no one on the forum but me and my seven open browsers, talking to myself.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Good to see some familiar names!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @littlesteven, it took me three or four years of "constant" posting to hit 17k posts.  i was told i apparently had "nothing better to do".  i think you hit about 20k there too, (if not here too  :) )

i'm pretty sure a couple members of the ONE-year club here have ALREADY hit that count, fwiw.

some of my handles?

stike
    st!ke
    pixelpaint
    biggreendave
    stripsteak
    Estragon
    Lothar of the Hill People
    ghost-of-Lothar-of-the-Hill-People
    ghost-of-samuel-beckett's-ghost
    ghost-of-stike
    st¡ke
    zipplylip
    Man Behind the Mask
    Tweev
    Tweeve
    Tweev-tip
    Tweev-tip!
    Tweev-Tip!!
    Tweev-Tip!!!
    Fidel
    McNuttly
    Spring Chicken
    fishlesswoman
    Mangrates
    LittleStephen

etc. etc.

rumor has ir, one night, in 2007, there was no one on the forum but me and my seven open browsers, talking to myself.

You were zippylip and Fidel! I knew it!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    the hardest part about being Fidel was getting the body odor to come through in the typing

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    so I cured 3 bellies, 30lbs last week. Cold smoked on Sunday for 7 hours. We had a fam emergency and I have not had time to slice and vacuum seal. How long will it stay in the fudge. I loosely covered with plastic. I don't know when I will have a chance with all the running around with the kids, work, and H all day and night. 

Cured pork in Fudge.........Yummm
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It can last years in fudge, in the fridge.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga