Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will the Military Ship my EGG from Hawaii to Mainland?

Options
Moving in 4 months. Does anyone have experience with moving a BGE from Hawaii or Overseas? I'd imagine giving it a good scrub down and cleaning will only help.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I had a Kamado shipped from Hawaii to San Francisco in '69 and it arrived in great shape.  The shippers did all the packing. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Yes, the military moved my brother,family and egg from Hawaii to Texas - no problem. Just make sure you button the egg up real good. He didn't trust the movers to do it.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • frogegg
    frogegg Posts: 14
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I had a slight panic attack thinking that for some reason I would have to part with it. I will definitely be wrapping up all my ceramic pieces myself! 
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I recently moved from Bragg to The DC area and the only thing they wouldn't move were my guns. My housecwas disorganized since I was in he middle of a remodel and they boxed up a lot of trash that was lying around. But Being in over 15 years that's my second PCS so first real experience with them moving my stuff.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I would take pictures before in the event that something happens and maybe even inspect with them on site after they unload it. 

They have insurance and would replace it regardless. 

I had heard stories about guys shipping broken tvs and getting them replaced lol. 
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    check your moving contract, damaged goods are normally paid by the pound but you can purchase extra insurance to cover your more expensive items!  I only know from experience  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Wrap it yourself well, my dad moved across town and the movers dropped his large. Egg shattered into numerous pieces and the company gave him a check for $57 to cover the damage.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Thank you for your service. You help make the USA great. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes. Slowboat
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I'll second the before pictures to show if their is any damage afterwards. We do it whenever we have any work done on our house since we've had to play the "no we didn't do it, it was already there" game. Make sure the paperwork is straight and all your high value items are in it just in case you have to make a claim. If I remember you get 30 days after its delivered to make your claim if you have to.
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    Thank you for your service.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX