Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick thermometer garbage

Options
So being the cheap ass that I am... I bought this $35 thermometer from my pench a penny store. And it lasted about 2 cooks.

it now reads " HHH " which apparently means the wire shorted out.

not very happy about this 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Never seen this one before. Looks like a knock off?
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    @pgprescott  its on their website 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @pgprescott  its on their website 
    Hmmm. Idk. Must be a lower grade at that price. I've used my maverick for years. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Been happy with mine.   I had one issue with one of my cables same HHH and they sent me a new one no questions asked.  That's a lot less than I paid for mine last year from Amazon.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Yeah, that's a knockoff.  BUT I had the exact same experience with the "real" one: three cooks, HHH, bought new cables, and they didn't work either.  
    Garbage.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Have heard mixed reviews on the Mavericks. I bought one a couple weeks back and never even opened it decided to get the igrill2. It seems like a quality product.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I have had the Maverick ET-7 for about 100 cooks, no issues with the probe section.  the remote part never synched well
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    My pit probe recently was reading extremely high, while the dome Guage and controller were spot on where I was targeting, then at one point it went to HHH which I think can also mean it thinks it's limited out, thinking I may need a new probe
  • slovelad
    Options
    @Botch what makes you so sure that it's a knockoff? If it is, I'm going to raise hell at the place I bought it.

but it came in a legit looking box..
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Not 100% sure, they may have a brand-new one out, but I've never seen that before; has anyone else here?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Looks legit from their website.  ET-710 S.  Call Maverick support
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Why not return it ?

Love my Maverick, never had an issue with it.
  • slovelad
    Options
    I plan to return it, just frustrating
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I had that happen on my original maverick but it was my fault for letting the temp get too high.  I decided to just upgrade to the latest version at the time which was the 732, and after a couple of years I got the HHH on the food probe even though I am quite sure it has never seen more than 350.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Single probe (food only) Maverick, 710 I think. Probes are same as 732/33 etc... from what I've heard. Both of mine (732/733) work great. Even though it is a food probe, @slovelad what were you cooking? Not steak or anything cooked (grilled) direct I hope. These things do not like direct cooks as the IR from the lump exceeds the operating temp and fries the probes. Used for indirect cooks where the cable is shadowed by a setter leg, works good lasts long time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    I just recently purchased the 733 due to the numerous recommendations I've seen and heard everywhere. I've used it only once so far and no issues. Never saw one in person before ordering online. Honestly, it feels like one of those cheap harbor freight volt meters that they sell for $10 bucks. I hope it holds up. 
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I just recently purchased the 733 due to the numerous recommendations I've seen and heard everywhere. I've used it only once so far and no issues. Never saw one in person before ordering online. Honestly, it feels like one of those cheap harbor freight volt meters that they sell for $10 bucks. I hope it holds up. 
    My 733 receiver will drain the batteries if you do not turn it off correctly, there is some magic sequence. I just pull the batteries and it work fine. (Evidently the receiver will continue to "look for" a transmitter, even if it is turned off if you do not turn it off correctly)
    I use "them" for almost every indirect cook. Keep the cable probes away from direct IR and do not use them in lieu of a Thermapen.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have used Mavericks for several years and have never had a problem. Terrific product!
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I have the ET 732 that I've used several times in the last year with no issues. The thing I like the least about it is the probe wires are very short. I plan to order replacement probes in the near future that have 6' wires.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Threw all my Mavericks in the trash, and switched to an I-Grill. Have used it all summer, and happy with results.  I never could trust the Mav's , but the I-Grill has never let me down one time.
  • AZHigh
    AZHigh Posts: 11
    Options
    I-Grill??  That is trash.  Got one and after 4 hours of screwing with it, my wife begged me to get rid of it!  Best thing I have done in grilling.  I got a Maverick ET-732 3 years ago.  Best thing for the green egg!  It has a range of about 400ft.  I can be at a neighbors house and know what my egg is doing.  Accurate and let's me know remotely what is going on.  Don't mess with crappy Bluetooth devices.  I read long ago you should wrap the probe wires in foil.  It works and doesn't allow them to burn up.  I have replaced one probe in 3 years.  You do need to be careful not to kink or crimp the probe wires.  I have had it up to 700 degrees, no issues.  Get a Maverick.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    AZHigh said:
    I-Grill??  That is trash.  Got one and after 4 hours of screwing with it, my wife begged me to get rid of it!  Best thing I have done in grilling.  I got a Maverick ET-732 3 years ago.  Best thing for the green egg!  It has a range of about 400ft.  I can be at a neighbors house and know what my egg is doing.  Accurate and let's me know remotely what is going on.  Don't mess with crappy Bluetooth devices.  I read long ago you should wrap the probe wires in foil.  It works and doesn't allow them to burn up.  I have replaced one probe in 3 years.  You do need to be careful not to kink or crimp the probe wires.  I have had it up to 700 degrees, no issues.  Get a Maverick.

4 hours of screwing with the igrill? It has 4 ports when you plug it in it shows up on your phone. If you want to see the temp on the device you push left or right. The igrill2 I just got didn't even come with instructions it's such common sense. Maybe the original wasn't as good. I have never seen anything as easy as the igrill2.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I Grill is a no brainer.  Works right out of the box.  If I didn't, Apple would not be on business!  $39.95. With warranty! Calibration is right on!  Battery life is awesome! Let's not overthink a product that is proven to do what it was supposed to do.
    if you are not able to deal with technology, you should stick with analog thermometers!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    my maverick must be going on 12 years now with zero problems. two things, low and slows only, and mine never goes near the sink, water kills them. you dont want water near those probes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Hoping the "Meater" is the answer! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I've had my ET 732 as long as I've had my Egg and no problems whatsoever. I agree with @fishlessman never put it around water. I like mine and use it on almost every low and slow cook.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I Grill is a no brainer.  Works right out of the box.  If I didn't, Apple would not be on business!  $39.95. With warranty! Calibration is right on!  Battery life is awesome! Let's not overthink a product that is proven to do what it was supposed to do.
    if you are not able to deal with technology, you should stick with analog thermometers!
    Son, very tech savy and with his phone attached to his hip, had an iGrill, worked flawlwssly but had a a range slightly more than he could spit. (not the 2 as I recall) Worked if he staayed within 50-75 feet in the open yard, but go into the house and it was useless. 
    He tried my old 732 and was amazed that it worked pretty much anywhere in the cul-de-sac. 
    As noted above, never put the probes near water, wrap them with foil and do not expose to direct IR. Too bad Thernoworks did not make a wireless set up, my 8060 probes are bulletproof. 
  • slovelad
    Options
    Single probe (food only) Maverick, 710 I think. Probes are same as 732/33 etc... from what I've heard. Both of mine (732/733) work great. Even though it is a food probe, @slovelad what were you cooking? Not steak or anything cooked (grilled) direct I hope. These things do not like direct cooks as the IR from the lump exceeds the operating temp and fries the probes. Used for indirect cooks where the cable is shadowed by a setter leg, works good lasts long time. 
    I was using it to cook a pork loin indirect at about 350 not sure it it flamed up or what.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    First, quick being a cheap a**, sometimes it doesn't pay. Yes I am speaking from experience. With that said I have had a Maverick ET732 for several years and have had no issues whatsoever.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @Botch what makes you so sure that it's a knockoff? If it is, I'm going to raise hell at the place I bought it.

but it came in a legit looking box..
    As others have pointed out, it is a legitimate Maverick product - a 710: http://www.maverickhousewares.com/digital-remote-bbq-thermometers#/et-71os/

New Orleans LA