Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Kielbasa - sort of...

Haven't made sausage in a while.  Thought I'd try my hand at Kielbasa but decided at the stuffing stage to go with a bigger diameter casing and make more of a deli loaf than a thinner sausage.  Will need to wait until tomorrow to cut it but I managed to smoke it for over 5 hours at temperatures from 150-170'F.  Once I got to about 140 internal I pulled it to finish in a water bath to try and prevent fat melting and to hit the finish line a little quicker.

Here are a couple of in process pics...

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great.  Can't wait to see it sliced.  What seasonings did you use?  All pork?
    edited October 2015

@tjcoley - the seasoning is a Polish Sausage - Low Salt mix from sausagemaker.com.  Basically black pepper, marjoram, onion and garlic.  For the meat I used 7.5 lbs of pork butt ground at 3/8" and 2.5lbs of lean ham meat (pork sirloin?) ground through the "beaner" plater.  The only other thing I did from the sausage maker recipe was boost the water to 3 cups instead of 2 because with the soy protein added I knew that the mix could hold more.  Cutting it tonight so I can post a picture of the finished product.

@hondabbq - do you go with your own seasoning recipe?  Its amazing how much the colour changes from unsmoked to smoked on these isn't it.  Do you go all ground or leave some chunks too?  Also is that the Bradley digital or original?  Looks like 20 lbs is the capacity of yours.  How do you like it - so many of the smoking forums talk about multiple mods needed for a Bradley and a PID so it seems like just a heating element in a box.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2015

I had some Hi Mountain cracked pepper and garlic mix left over from a previous run, so I just added to it to bulk up to what I needed for 20 lbs. Now that I have a few runs under my belt im going to start making my own mixes.

Yes I did add some diced meat to produce a coarse kielbasa.

No its not a Bradley. I didn't go with a Bradley for those mods needed to run it at lesser than ideal conditions, plus the puck are expensive. It is a smoke Vault 24. I can get just as much meat in this as the 6 rack bradley and it cost me half as much. I could have added another dowel full of meat for 30 lbs total.

• BigWader
    @hondabbq - what are you mixing 20lbs of meat in?  I'm using a cambro tub and 10lbs is about the limit of it's size and my hands to mix well in freezing cold meat.  I'm not ready to spring for the mixer yet but wonder if there is a better way.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2015

I am a chef, so when I am making big batches I just bring it all to work and use the floor mixer. 60 L bowl easily fits 20 lbs of meat.

When Im just doing small 10 lb runs I do the same as yourself.

This time round we did 20 lbs of each of Italian, jalapeno and cheddar, and the kielbasa.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    That is absolutely awesome!  I only hope to be able to make sausage someday.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • BigWader

Here is a cut pic of the finished product.  It turned out very good with great flavour.  Due to the larger diameter I will use slices for frying with perogies, or eggs, or dicing and using in omelettes.  I think it could even be sliced thin and used in sandwiches.

I packaged it up in 1lb chubs and froze all but 2 lbs.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great.  I may have to raid the freezer for a ring or two now that you have made me hungry for it.
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Well done!  Looks tasty.

Wow. Just wow.  I would love to try making sausage one day.  Might have to wait until retirement!