Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Chuck Roast on the EGG

Options
Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a beef chuck roast in the freezer that is screaming to get out. Does anyone have a good recepie for it on the Egg, or would I be better off doing it in the crock pot with carrots and potatos?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    20000924_133922_small.jpg
    <p />Chipper, chuck roast makes perfect Pulled BBQ Beef - cook it just like a Boston Butt - check out the link.

[ul][li]Pulled BBQ Beef[/ul]
  • Chipper
    Options
    Gfw,
    Man that looks good! I think I will give it a go this weekend. Thanks for the link. You've got a great site.

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Gfw,[p]On your chuck roast link, what was the internal temp when you took the chuck roast off the Egg. Same as a butt (200)?[p]I have been wondering about doing a chuck roast. After seeing yours, it will be tomorrow's now customary Friday Night Cook. I'll post pics on Saturday.[p]I have to concur with Chipper about your site. Your's and Tim M's site provide eggers instant access for procedures on how to cook almost anything to perfection.[p]Carl T[p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Carl T, thanks for the nice comments - the temp was in the range of 200 degrees and it passed the fork wiggle test - make sure that you have a thin BBQ sauce like JJs or my Memphis-Style - I usually mix in the sauce right after pulling. Good luck. We'll be waiting for the pictures :~}

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    chuck2.jpg
    <p />Chipper,[p]I would follow GFW's pulled beef recipe or you can slice thin and make jerky with it. You can also sear it and slice thin for sandwiches but its so lean it does not do well on long cooks -- unless you're going for jerky or pulled beef which requires long slow cooking. I also tried a good sear and then finished it in the crock pot once too. It was certainly more flavorful than using the crock alone.[p]Its not the best cut to work with but it will yield fair results.[p]Tim
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Chipper,
    I do a sweet and sour marinade of vinegar, crushed pinapple & juice, garlic, soy sauce and brown sugar. Set it set a couple of days. Crank up the egg to 600 to 700 and sear both sides for 3 minutes. Then let it dwell with everything shut down till you get the internal temp you want. This will take a tough piece of meat and make it one of the best you have ever eaten.