Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ultimate Pepper Grinder/Mill

Options
I just bought the Puegeot mill.    It is a 'U-Select' model with the adjustment in the BASE.
Most pepper mills have the little nut on top which BOTH releases the cap for filling AND adjusts the grind.   In the Puegeot, the cap is held on in the usual way BUT the grind is NOT effected by this nut.  

I find the grind from Extra Fine to Very Coarse to be very repeatable and a grind for every meal and taste.  

The are NOT expensive when compared with other similar sized mills, but they ARE the best I've yet found.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/peugeot-uselect/paris-pepper-mill-p114087

Just an EXAMPLE and not a recommendation to buy there.   I found my mill, 61$ list, for 20% off at Sur La Table.  

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I like them, my only complaint is that the paint on the base of the salt mill has started to peel after about a year.

edited October 2015
    Options
    Picked this one up a couple months ago and really like it. It's only about the size of a standard spice bottle so it's not out of place but grinds as good as any larger size I have ever used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GSR76?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I bought battery powered gravity salt and pepper shakers a couple years ago. I would never buy another one I have to twist again.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have a larger Magnum and I love it. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited October 2015
    Options
    (Wait for it: in 3, 2, 1....)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have the same and love mine.
    If I bought battery operated mills it would surely lose power in the course of an important cook and there would be no replacement batteries in the house because everything my kids own eat them.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TXsmokin
    Options
    Had mine for over 10 years and love it. Price was similar. Main difference is my base is a stainless ring. 
    Fort Worth, TX      
    LG Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis Gasser, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Jumbo Joe

Flame Boss 300, Orange Thermapen (because Orange is the fastest)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Picked this one up a couple months ago and really like it. It's only about the size of a standard spice bottle so it's not out of place but grinds as good as any larger size I have ever used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GSR76?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I have the 9" of this one.  It's a great grinder.  Couple turns and it really throws the pepper out.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have the same and love mine.
    If I bought battery operated mills it would surely lose power in the course of an important cook and there would be no replacement batteries in the house because everything my kids own eat them.
    The one I have takes either 4 or 6 batteries. It goes a good 6 months between changes.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have a larger Magnum and I love it. :)
    If only it were Friday night. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I just got the set of these 2 weeks ago.  I keep grabbing the bottom where you select the coarseness of the grind when I go to use them.  That is driving me nuts.  This is purely my problem and not a knock on the design.   I agree that the grinders are very nice.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • MrWilliams
    Options
    My moms uncle was a trappist (i think) monk in Scotland and when he was about 80 he came to America and to a picnic at my parents house.  After a life of isolation he saw his first pepper grinder.  I remember him trying to figure out what it was...  A story that may only interest me.  :)

XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I've had my stainless Peugeot s&p set for years and absolutely love them. 
    IL 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've had a Unicorn Magnum Plus 9" for probably 10 years. The only way it's getting replaced is if it's stolen or lost in a fire. I love it and never plan to get a different one. Don't know why I waited so long to buy the salt one as well but got it a couple of years back. Only found the 6" one for salt, but it works just fine.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I've had the shorter 6" black Magnum for years now ever since Stike lead the world to their doorstep! I love it and know it will last my lifetime let alone the life of the slob who buys it for mere pennies at my estate sale!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who noticed pepper grinders!     Glad to see that people are paying attention to the details.     So Far, my Peugeot is flawless, but large.    It'll go on the table at big feeds.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Peugeot is the BGE of the pepper mill crowd, IMO. Great product with lots of options. Many retaurant supply stores seem to stock them, they are virtually bullet proof. Mine will undoubtedly end up like @RRP, in my estate sale. 
    Amazing how they make such a great mill, but man do the cars with the same name ever suck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have a small collection of pepper mills, but I've never owned a Peugeot. My favorite is a clearance buy at TJ Maxx or similar store. Has no brand name, is made of some unknown wood (unfinished) and has a cheap nylon grinding mechanism. Didn't think it would last long, but it has to be ten years old now, used daily, and still going strong.

Cost? Red label markdown to $1! One of my better deals. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would really like something that only needs one hand to grind.  That is the main reason I would like an electric one.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Peugeot is the BGE of the pepper mill crowd, IMO. Great product with lots of options. Many retaurant supply stores seem to stock them, they are virtually bullet proof. Mine will undoubtedly end up like @RRP, in my estate sale. 
    Amazing how they make such a great mill, but man do the cars with the same name ever suck. 
    Family owned a pair of the 504d from the 70s, when Peugeot still sold automobiles in the USA.   The starting battery looked like it was out of a Submarine.   HUGE.   
    But the cars?   Fine, IMO.   Good on the road with excellent economy, they even handled well but not up to modern sports Sedan standards.   The 5 'series' of Peugeot was also very nicely appointed, though somewhat homely from the outside!   You could drive over speed bumps without slowing OR noticing.   Maybe something to do with French Roads?

I dont' think they EVER figured out the US market or Driver.  The last ones I saw, the 505 rev was even good looking, but by than?   Too late to save the brand in the USA.   The 6 series, like the 605 were DeLuxe thruout.

I'm AFRAID to check E-Bay Motors.  

The Pepper Mill, however, is a Keeper.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I bought a Trudeau battery powered pepper grinder a year ago. Will never go back to twisting one. Turn upside down and it automatically comes on. Fast and easy. If you are handling saw meat you don't need two hands to twist. Keep one hand clean and grab and turn upside down. Can't beat it IMO
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I have a set of Cole and Mason from BB&B on the table and am quite pleased with them. Stainless and glass so they fit in well with my décor. ATK or Alton Brown recommended them and they do work well.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa