Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Ang-L Direction

Options
Just picked up an XL yesterday and my Ang-L brackets should be here today.  I want to have a direct and indirect but I'm not sure what the best way to divide the firebox.  Should it be left to right or front to back or doesn't it matter?  Anyone have an opinion?

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have tried both. It doesn't really matter. I will say it doesn't work nearly as well as a weber would for this because the ceramic and airflow makes the environment so even. But it still works pretty darn well.  I usually go left/right because that's easier to work with.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I do mine front to back with high heat in the back.
    I also normally put an aluminum drip pan in the front right on top the cast iron lump grate. This catches drippings and also blocks some of the wasted air flow in the from part of the Egg. Have also formed a double layer of heavy duty foil to cover the lump grate in front of the L-brackets. This will help your direct area in the back get more air through the lump.
    Making a second raised grate is also nice. It will give you 2 levels of direct cooking at different intensities. 
    Wish I had some photos to post.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 22
    Options
    direct back, indirect front, no ang-l brackets, just a pair of firebricks for $1.50 a piece. Works like a charm...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2015
    Options
    PM1 said:
    direct back, indirect front, no ang-l brackets, just a pair of firebricks for $1.50 a piece. Works like a charm...
    I agree, firebricks will work, but the taller, thin angle brackets work better for me.
    They also store easy and take up little space when not in use, cool down faster and don't break.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I originally used firebricks but found after the lump grate sagged, they would tip over easy.  so, fabricated the ang-l.

on how to set-up, consider if you're right or left handed and what part of the cooker will be more active.  set up the active side of the cook on our dominate side.  

if going front and back, then cooler side forward, so you don't have to reach over the hot side.

for quick small cooks, I do 1/4 firebox forward, shortest distance to lower slider for airflow.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Herky
    Herky Posts: 30
    Options
    I thought about using firebricks but I think the smaller storage space needed for the ang-l'so will be worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions, think I'll start with hot on the right. 

Does using a half moon stone over the indirect side help at all?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Herky said:
    I thought about using firebricks but I think the smaller storage space needed for the ang-l'so will be worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions, think I'll start with hot on the right. 

Does using a half moon stone over the indirect side help at all?
    Yes the half moon stone helps but depending on the cook you may not need it.  You can also use the half moon raised with the drip pan in it for indirect as well.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    FWIW ... Firebricks work fine on an XL grate. They can be adjusted to your liking the same as "L" brackets.
    I even place a regular red clay brick across the "V" of the firebricks for ultimate heat deflection.
    Works wonderfully!! 

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Where do you all get your fire bricks?  I have checked Home Depot and find nothing but pavers, none of which are the right size
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you know of any Electric Utility guys in your area (that also have power plants), they have access to tons of firebricks in all sizes and shapes.  Most are brand new from when the boilers were built, and left over.  Free for the taking.  There are at least 500 sitting behind my office...come and help yourself!
  • Herky
    Herky Posts: 30
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Did my first cook last night. Set it up with the coals on the right and it worked wonderful.  Was able to move the chicken breasts to the indirect side to finish and cook some thin butterfly pork chops on the direct side.  Thanks for the help. 

Now I just need to learn to light it in under 45 minutes.  The paper towel and olive oil trick didn't work great for me.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Where do you all get your fire bricks?  I have checked Home Depot and find nothing but pavers, none of which are the right size
    I did a search for fire brick in my area and found a brunch of brick or fire place businesses that carry them.  I found a place in KC area called Ferris Kimball Company LLC and bought 3-9"x4.5"x2" for about $12.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have the brackets and I prefer it direct in the rear.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That may have been over the top, but I do put the direct zone in the back.
    Flint, Michigan
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 22
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Herky said:
    Did my first cook last night. Set it up with the coals on the right and it worked wonderful.  Was able to move the chicken breasts to the indirect side to finish and cook some thin butterfly pork chops on the direct side.  Thanks for the help. 

Now I just need to learn to light it in under 45 minutes.  The paper towel and olive oil trick didn't work great for me.
    Weber lighter cubes, use 2 or 3, lower vent including mesh fully open, lid open, wait until fire is nice and hot, close lid without daisy wheel, close mesh at 300º.

350º in less than 30 min.

want quicker, use a weber chimney

I never worry about time when lighting egg. Beer and mezcal are great companions for that time...