Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max's Thanksgiving Turkey

Options
Monty77
Monty77 Posts: 667
edited October 2015 in Poultry
My family was asking for a BGE turkey again this year, so I went with the Mad Max recipe as it has never let me down.  

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

15 lb bird, washed and dried, no brine.  Stuffed the bird with gala apples, sliced lemon, S&P, garlic, and a bouquet of fresh herbs from the garden.  XL was stable at 325* and I had cherry and apple wood in for smoke.  I cut up some carrots, celery, onions, garlic and placed some fresh rosemary into the roasting pan.  I had the breast icing for twenty minutes before the bird was to hit the egg.  I melted the butter, mixed in the herbs and put back in the fridge to solidify the paste. it firmed up, I rubbed the entire bird with the butter/herb mixture and poured some white wine over the bird and into the cavity.  

I now placed the turkey on the Egg for its 4-5 hour journey.  I will let it go for the first hour, and then baste every 30 minutes until the IT's are right.  

Turkey took just over 4.5 hours, breast was 168*, dark was 187*.  Rested for 20 minutes and sliced and served with my garlic mashed potatoes, squash from the Mini Max, stuffing, butter and brown sugar glazed carrots, and the oooohhhh sooooo good turkey gravy from the recipe.  Amazing moist turkey with a wonderful flavour.  Sorry, I forgot to get pics of the stock prep and cooking for the gravy, but here is a finished pic of the meal (not a great shot, but you get the idea).  

Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

Comments

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Great documentary of your cook! Looks like it came out great!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Beautiful cook! I never seem to be where there is an egg at turkey time. I did do a mad max max bird in Mom's oven a few years ago. It was delicious! One of these days I will egg one. Hope it looks as good as yours. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
     Looks great! Are you Canadian? This will be my third year doing a mad Max turkey, but it's about five weeks in the future
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Monty77
    Options
    Hey @Cookinbob, Yes I am from Canada.  That turkey looks stellar!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Book marked.  Tough decision between the big green egg and the big easy for thanksgiving turkey this year! May have to do both!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• D1105
    D1105 Posts: 60
    Options
    Following....Thanks for the write up and pics!

Derick
    Chicago
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • djbade
    djbade Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow... that's a nice looking bird... Job well done

Kirkland (Montreal), Quebec, Canada
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    bookmarked
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    So how big of a bird can you get on the large egg.  I did not have my egg last year.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    @Monty77 how many chips/chunks did you go with?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Never done a Mad Max Turkey period. Looks great!  Fantastic dialog with pictorial!  I was hoping for a centerfold :grin: Nice work. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Never done a Mad Max Turkey period. Looks great!  Fantastic dialog with pictorial!  I was hoping for a centerfold :grin: Nice work. 
    Blake, do yourself a favor and give it a shot. Just look at Max's pics!  Not to mention the great ones above!! I never seem to be near an egg when it's turkey time so I can only imagine how good it would be on an egg. All I know is, that recipe/method is outstanding in a regular oven!! Max Rosen RULES Turkey Day!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Carolina Q Michael I'll try to talk @HuskerMaMa into it. She has her heart set on my herbal infused spatchcock.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Beautiful cook! I never seem to be where there is an egg at turkey time. I did do a mad max max bird in Mom's oven a few years ago. It was delicious! One of these days I will egg one. Hope it looks as good as yours. 
    @Carolina Q Skip the oven this year. Turkey is worth the extra effort. Worth trying once
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @Carolina Q Skip the oven this year. Turkey is worth the extra effort. Worth trying once
    To be clear, I am not avoiding the egg, it's just that I am usually about 400 miles away from mine when it's time to do a turkey. And in fact, my SIL usually does the cooking anyway. I was just saying that Max's recipe is awesome, even without an egg! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Monty77
    edited November 2015
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    So how big of a bird can you get on the large egg.  I did not have my egg last year.
    I did lots of 14-18 lb birds in my large, havn't tried anything bigger as my family is just not big enough to warrant a bigger turkey.  I believe 22-24 lb turkeys are doable in the large, just never had the reason to do one yet.  Best advice is ensure that your roasting pan fits inside the large well before the event, and then try the bird in the pan a day or two prior to the cook.  I use balls of tin foil to create an air gap between the plate setter and roasting pan to avoid burning the drippings and keep me as low as possible in the egg.  

• Monty77
    Options

Davec433 said:

I have always found turkey to absorb smoke quickly, so I find less is more on this cook.  I used two chunks of cherry and a handful of apple chips around the perimeter of the egg.  I waited about 35 minutes until the smoke turned the bluish white and smelled amazing.  

• Monty77
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL

I gotta say, I am not a big turkey guy, but the Egg really brings a new dimension of flavour and moisture to this Thanksgiving tradition.  This recipe is the best of all the ones I have tried.  If you can ever find the opportunity, I highly recommend it, you'll love it.  Leftovers are stellar as well, just saying!  

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looking good.  I'm doing a test run on a turkey this weekend.  Looking forward to it and am glad you posted this ahead of time
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Has anyone tried this method w/ a brine (or injection)?  Is it truly not necessary?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    tfhanson said:
    I did lots of 14-18 lb birds in my large, havn't tried anything bigger as my family is just not big enough to warrant a bigger turkey.  I believe 22-24 lb turkeys are doable in the large, just never had the reason to do one yet.  Best advice is ensure that your roasting pan fits inside the large well before the event, and then try the bird in the pan a day or two prior to the cook.  I use balls of tin foil to create an air gap between the plate setter and roasting pan to avoid burning the drippings and keep me as low as possible in the egg.  
    Thanks Monty.  I have a small crowd, but I always try to cook the largest bird I can cause it's once a year and I love the leftover turkey sandwiches...... I'll see what roasting pan fits in the egg and go from there.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    Options
    Last year I did a 21 lb turkey in a LBGE.  To get enough height, I removed the fire ring and set a grate on top of the fire box.  Then used the platesetter with air gapped drip pan.  Roasting rack (non-mad max) sitting on the plate setter had enough clearance to get the bird above the drip pan to allow an all-around cook.  FYI-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Davec433
    Options
    Monty77 said:

Davec433 said:

I have always found turkey to absorb smoke quickly, so I find less is more on this cook.  I used two chunks of cherry and a handful of apple chips around the perimeter of the egg.  I waited about 35 minutes until the smoke turned the bluish white and smelled amazing.  
    Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely doing one this Thanksgiving just didn't want to over do it with the smoke.
  • Monty77
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Monty77 said:

Davec433 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely doing one this Thanksgiving just didn't want to over do it with the smoke.
    Enjoy, you are gonna love it!  

• chadpsualum
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Last year I did a 21 lb turkey in a LBGE.  To get enough height, I removed the fire ring and set a grate on top of the fire box.  Then used the platesetter with air gapped drip pan.  Roasting rack (non-mad max) sitting on the plate setter had enough clearance to get the bird above the drip pan to allow an all-around cook.  FYI-
    With taking out the fire ring you took out available lump space right?  Were you able to get enough lump in with just the firebox to sustain the long turkey cook?  What temp and how long?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Has anyone tried this method w/ a brine (or injection)?  Is it truly not necessary?
    I tried brining before doing Mad Max several Thanksgiving's ago and never stopped doing them that way. I use a version of JAppledog's brine (from the old days), then closely follow Mad Max's latest version (hosted at Naked Whiz's site). Best Turkey in the world IMHO. Don't get to do them very often at Thanksgiving as we're usually at a relative's house who don't have a BGE (just a gasser). One year I took my BGE there and did a MM. Host insisted on doing one their way (we had around 20 people, so 2 birds was no problem).

Mad Max was preferred by all and quickly devoured.
    South SLO County
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    Options
    @chadpsualum - You are right that you lose space for lump but by filling to around the top of the fire box I had plenty of lump.  I used Rockwood.  For turkey I figure around 12 mins/lb at about 350*F on the dome.   Usually works out fairly close.  Hope this helps.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mattk330
    Options
    I've made this before and it was just amazing.  I've been requested to bring a bird for Thanksgiving this year.  Here is my quandary:  Thanksgiving dinner is an hour drive away (noontime T dinner).  I plan to cook this at home on my BGE.  How do I pull this off?  By the time I make the gravy, get in the car and drive there, the bird could be cold as ice.  What do I do?  I thought about pulling out the roasting pan an hour early (swapping it for a fresh pan with just some hot water or the broth to finish out the cook) and making the gravy while the bird finishes up on the BGE.  Does this sound crazy?  Am I going to miss the best drippings?  How do I transport?  Should I wrap the bird (and roaster) in aluminum foil and/or place it in a cooler to transport?  Will it turn to mush?

Thoughts????  Please help! (I may post a separate thread all together on this)
  • Davec433
    Options
    Did my test run on the XL for Thanksgiving with a 12.5 lb bird. Brined in Perfect Turkey Apple for 4 days and cooked it at 350-400 with a handfull of cherry chips. Sad to say it was disgusting and I had to toss it. On Thanksgiving I'm not going to brine and theirs going to be no added smoke. It had tons of moisture but I think it spent to long in the brine and soaked up to much herbyness.
  • Monty77
    Options
    Sorry to hear this one didn't turn out as you'd have liked @Davec433, good thing it was a test run and you get to learn from mistakes and ace the next one.