Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pallet of lump cost?

Options
littlerascal56
littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
edited October 2015 in Forum List

Have been buying my pellets from the manufacturer direct.  Just got 2 pallets (4000#) of Lumberjack delivered for $1300.  A bunch of us are also using lump for our eggs, and the best price has been $19.95/bag delivered from Firecraft.

Just curious if anyone is buying Missouri lump from "The Good One' or "Rockwood" direct, or do you have to go thru a dealer?  I live in Kansas, and those 2 brands are only 1 state away.  Shipping costs should not be that much, considering a 250 mile delivery on I-70 to our commercial dock.

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Interested in the responses here 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Been a year or so, but JH at Rockwood would do a pallet at a very good price. Contact him and ask. He is here as stlcharcoal
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    We used to get a few Rockwood pallets delivered to Maryland but haven't been able to in a long while due to his orders piling up with retailers, if I recall.

Last one was 15 or 16 per bag. That was for 60 or 90 bags, I can't quite remember the amount.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    In Jonathan's defense I would just imagine he is not about to undercut the merchants he sells to on a regular basis. I mean, what you proposed makes sense to you, but you are a one time buyer of a pallet, not multiple pallets meaning a sustained business relationship year after year. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You gotta be careful about stepping on retailers toes. Most of the charcoal distributers can't do it because of that. You should try contacting a few privately and see if you can set something up. Maybe through a business or something.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ask your local dealer, they may do a volume discount. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you can't buy Rockwood from  a local dealer, then contact stlcharcoal. Service was great the last time I ordered a couple of pallets to split with others.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    RRP said:
    In Jonathan's defense I would just imagine he is not about to undercut the merchants he sells to on a regular basis. I mean, what you proposed makes sense to you, but you are a one time buyer of a pallet, not multiple pallets meaning a sustained business relationship year after year. 
    He doesn't undercut anyone near me, since no one sells it. Who exactly is he undercutting if he is selling it to 4 or 5 people at the same price that he is selling it to a retailer, who then marks it up for profit?
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    He doesn't undercut anyone near me, since no one sells it. Who exactly is he undercutting if he is selling it to 4 or 5 people at the same price that he is selling it to a retailer, who then marks it up for profit?
    Ace Hardware. By taking one of their best clients out of the market for an extended period of time and cutting them out. Someone who is interested in a pallet is someone who would (in their mind) come buy that charcoal and possibly hundreds of dollars in other merchandise during their many visits (over the life of a pallet.)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2015
    Options

My only source of lump is Home Depot (Royal Oak) and my BGE dealer. ACE Hardware stocks Cowboy, which I will not use.   Most people that live here use pellet grills and buy Traeger pellets at ACE.   Traeger has the market for grills and pellets in central Kansas, and has for the past 10 years. 

I have to order higher grade lump "on line" or drive 300 miles to pick it up, so it's not like I am undercutting a local dealer!  Several of my employees have an egg, so we would be ordering every season.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    RRP said:
    Ace Hardware. By taking one of their best clients out of the market for an extended period of time and cutting them out. Someone who is interested in a pallet is someone who would (in their mind) come buy that charcoal and possibly hundreds of dollars in other merchandise during their many visits (over the life of a pallet.)
    I guess it depends on what your market can handle. There nearest place to me to get Rockwood is about 60 miles away. They've only started carrying it in the period since we last ordered. I could totally see the issue you describe if it was a local business to me.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I live in Louisville, an area loaded with Ceramic cookers. I have tried to get a dealer set up to carry Rockwood lump. I was told they are unable to do it because they can't supply it. I am down to my last bag. I have to drive 40 miles to the closest dealer if he has it, or order it on line. Good Luck.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    60 miles isn't as far as you make it sound. Take a trailer and buy as much as you want. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    60 miles isn't as far as you make it sound. Take a trailer and buy as much as you want. 
    Got no trailer gotta get a u haul!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    We tried to order another pallet of Rockwood a few months back and they wouldn't sell it to us. Said they didn't have the capacity. We bought a pallet of Wicked Good one time for about $16 per bag delivered. That was a while back. Both are excellent lump in my opinion. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    RRP said:
    A lot of folks do not have a retailer nearby that sells Rockwood. The closest retailer to me that sells it is 100 miles away. They sell just the 10lb bags for $15.

My daughter happens to live in that city so I had her buy a few bags to bring me on her next visit. It was nice but not really worth twice the price of what I normally buy.

I did inquire about ordering a pallet but, like others, was informed that I couldn't buy one. He suggested I order it from Firecraft.

Since anyone can order it from Firecraft the whole "protecting the local retailer" argument does not fly.

The problem with ordering from Firecraft is that one cannot be certain that the bags won't be kicked/tumbled/dropped thereby turning the contents into dust.

There will soon be another quality lump that folks may want to check into. Kamado Joe has gotten into the lump business. They are importing bulk lump from a South American supplier and they will be doing the sorting and bagging in their Georgia facility. It will be sold/labeled as their "Restaurant Grade" lump. Early reports from some folks that have been able to get some before it gets wider distribution have been pretty good. The price will be about the same as Rockwood. No word yet if one would be able to buy a pallet load of that from KJ.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RiverRatSkier
    Options

Wicked Good still does pallets.  I have one on the way right now.  This will be my third pallet from them.

http://http//www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/pallet_shipping_outside_ne.htm

I don't know about elsewhere, but I was told that Rockwood does not have the capacity to ship pallets to MN.  Maybe that will change in the future.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I saw the KJ lump at a local Ace Hardware south of Atlanta this weekend.  I would have jumped to give it a try, but I was under watch and under strict orders for no more lump today!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    It is when you live in the Baltimore/DC region. If I want to go to Dizzy Pig in Manassas or the Ace Hardware in Glen Burnie, I'm looking at a 3.5-4hr round trip. There is no such thing as 60 mph around here with the population density and menagerie of imported drivers and their tendencies from other states and countries. 
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I saw the KJ lump at a local Ace Hardware south of Atlanta this weekend.  I would have jumped to give it a try, but I was under watch and under strict orders for no more lump today!!!
    The KJ lump at ace isn't the same stuff as the restaurant grade stuff talked about above ...but is still very very good.  Very neutral, large pieces, and low spark compared to RO. Ace sells it at a reasonable price ...but check out the Costco kamado Joe road shows if they hit your area.  They sell a double pack--44lbs total for $30.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    It is when you live in the Baltimore/DC region. If I want to go to Dizzy Pig in Manassas or the Ace Hardware in Glen Burnie, I'm looking at a 3.5-4hr round trip. There is no such thing as 60 mph around here with the population density and menagerie of imported drivers and their tendencies from other states and countries. 

That is some of the worst traffic I have ever seen. It just stops in the afternoon. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

That is some of the worst traffic I have ever seen. It just stops in the afternoon. 
    Yep.  This was from last Friday, around 5:15.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YukonRon
    Options
    Acn said:

Try the 5 in Southern California. About as bad.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    The KJ lump at ace isn't the same stuff as the restaurant grade stuff talked about above ...but is still very very good.  Very neutral, large pieces, and low spark compared to RO. Ace sells it at a reasonable price ...but check out the Costco kamado Joe road shows if they hit your area.  They sell a double pack--44lbs total for $30.
    Right. The "new & improved" stuff is clearly labeled "Restaurant Grade" and is a completely different product.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• littlerascal56
    Options

This is why I live in Kansas.  5 miles @ 79 mph = 3.5 minutes.  I have crews in 40 counties, and travel 300 miles a day. Set the cruise control and spend the next hour on your cell phone and you are there!  I just can imagine the traffic issues you guys deal with daily, and really don't need to.  I manage an electric utility that encompasses 1/3 of the state of Kansas, so my day is full of interstate travel. Guess I will keep purchasing my lump from Firecraft delivered to the front door!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I know people who drive 200 miles on Saturday to eat at a favorite restaurant and then drive 200 miles back home. My parents drive 150 miles round trip to eat at their favorite Indian restaurant. Most everything is highway so it doesn't take long to get there. 
    Closest Rockwood to me was 100 miles, now a new place has it 60 miles away. Problem is they are all through the worst parts of city traffic. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    wicked good is under 14 bucks for 22 pound bags by the pallet picked up or 15 delivered in newengland.  a little more for shipping elsewhere but if you could swing 3 or more pallets to a commercial dock im betting the shipping cost would be fair. its been a while but i think the owners name is lee ann
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    wicked good is under 14 bucks for 22 pound bags by the pallet picked up or 15 delivered in newengland.  a little more for shipping elsewhere but if you could swing 3 or more pallets to a commercial dock im betting the shipping cost would be fair. its been a while but i think the owners name is lee ann

What do they consider NE?  I assume not PA?

I am a homebrewer and people do bulk grain buys all the time.  They will order a pallet or more of base grains (2row, wheat, rye, etc.) and split up the costs and it ends up being like 1/2 the price you can buy it wlsewhere.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    stompbox said:

What do they consider NE?  I assume not PA?

I am a homebrewer and people do bulk grain buys all the time.  They will order a pallet or more of base grains (2row, wheat, rye, etc.) and split up the costs and it ends up being like 1/2 the price you can buy it wlsewhere.

new england states (Ross express was handling this area)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Acn said:

Try the 5 in Southern California. About as bad.
    I wish I could go 5 miles in 27 minutes. I live a half hour north of Atlanta and even at 345 in the afternoon it takes 45 minutes to go the 10 miles to get home. At 515 it takes an hour and 15 minutes on an average day but hits an hour and a half frequently.