Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preventing Egg from freezing shut

Hi Everyone,

First post...after lurking for awhile. :) Love all the advice!  Started using my Egg the end of August and I've already mastered pulled pork, ribs, and turkey and still working on pizza and steaks.  Practice, practice, delicious practice! ;)

Last night our temp dropped below freezing and this morning, my egg was frozen shut.  Found lots of "how to thaw your egg" advice on Google, but just wondering what is tried and true from preventing it from happening again.  

Living in Southern Ontario means it's going to be an ongoing issue and I'd love to BBQ all winter. Love some advice from anyone living in similar winter conditions.

Thanks in advance!
Sue

(Picture - ribs for today, pulled pork for nachos and pizza later in the week) 

Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start. ~Anthony Bourdain

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I go with aluminum foil around the gasket area.  Works for me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Maybe some foil around the perimeter, or a Popsicle stick like thing between the dome & base after it's cooled.
    Just thoughts. I don't have that problem in Phoenix. =)  
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I put strips of tin foil between the top and bottom gaskets.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Or you can use wax paper around the Egg gasket.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    +1^^^^. I also use my covers if they are calling for freezing rain or snow.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I live in CT.  I had this problem every year.  Last year I switched to the Rutland gasket from @RRP.  It has not frozen shut since.  

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    First off, replace the felt gasket with a Rutland or Cotronics.......you're going to need to eventually anyway.  They won't absorb the water like felt or Nomex will.  Plus you just put the gasket on the bottom, so it's less likely to freeze to the ceramic above it.  It can still happen, but the not absorbing gasket helps.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Use a couple of coins 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    I just tuck the cover in and close the kid on it, creates seperation.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    stompbox said:
    I just tuck the cover in and close the kid on it, creates seperation.
    Great idea. I place a wooden skewer between the dome and base at the front.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Never had such a problem in Florida...
  • Rutland gasket
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Don't think I'll ever have that kind of problem here in Atlanta, but if I were worries about freezing, I'd go with the foil or wax/parchment paper between the felt of the dome and base. 

Are you a MAPP torch user?  If so, just give it a little roast along the gasket or melt the frozen stuff off the ceramic cap and drop in a starter cube or a couple pieces of lit lump.  She will be up and purring in no time!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hey Neighbour, just down Hwy 7 from you in Guelph.

I've only had this happen once in the last 2 winters with the Egg and I leave it uncovered. I shoved some oil soaked paper towel under the bottom grate via the bottom vent and lit and was able to open the lid after 10 or 15 minutes. Putting foil in between the gaskets will work.
    Guelph, ON, Canada
  • I have 4 washers, each about the size of a quarter. I shut down the egg and once the fire is out and temp is dropping I go out and put the washers between the top and bottom. Has worked well and haven't had another freeze-up.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Rutland gasket
    This. I live in Connecticut and have had my Rutland for about six years. Base only, no gasket on the dome. My egg has never frozen shut.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    funny im farther north than you and never had an issue. Maybe because I got mine in the spring and used it enough to compact the gasket by winter so it wont hold moisture? You might be fine next year and not have to worry about it.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'd suggest moving to a warmer climate.  =)
  • dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62
    Leave it on low and slow
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Rutlands and covers work for me, no issues with freeze up anymore.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    wood chips, skewers, or wax paper between the dome and base will help, plus covering is key in winter icy weather
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    BYS1981 said:
    I'd suggest moving to a warmer climate.  =)
    Shusss......don't let them  know there are better places to live....once down here, they can't find I-95 North to save their life.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    The reason I use tinfoil is so I don't have to wait until the charcoal goes out - no air leakage.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    you want to get that rutland and put it on the first warm day you get or you will be waiting til spring to put it on. my last egg i took the stock gasket off the day i got it before even lighting it, its easier to remove when new
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Near an outlet?   Put a 60 watt bulb LIT inside the grill.     This is a old pumphouse trick to keep the pump from freezing in winter.   Everybody's pump shed had a LIT 100watt bulb which provided JUST enough heat.