Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Charcoal

Options

I just bought my first bag of Rockwood Charcoal and I hope you guys are right about this being the best because I could have bought 2 bags of Royal Oak for what I payed for it. I guess I will find out this weekend!!!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    It will be fine and if you don't like it I will take it off your hands. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jedgeworth
    Options
    henapple said:
    You could buy 2 bags... But if you burn more waiting for the smell to clear, burn more per cook, not have a neutral flavor and not buy from a fellow egger and American owned company.....? 

All of those reason are why I bought this bag. I just hoping I enjoy it as much as everyone else.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You will. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You should have bought more. It would have saved you a trip. You will like it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jedgeworth
    Options

YukonRon said:
    I work about about 5 miles from the hardware store that sells it so I can make a quick trip anytime.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    henapple said:
    You could buy 2 bags... But if you burn more waiting for the smell to clear, burn more per cook, not have a neutral flavor and not buy from a fellow egger and American owned company.....? 

All of those reason are why I bought this bag. I just hoping I enjoy it as much as everyone else.

Thanks!  And if you don't, just return it to the store and get your money back.  Enjoy!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Trust me, RW is worth it!  Now if I could just convince Jonathan that I need it delivered in super sacks.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    I can't see myself using anything else. I was hooked from the first bag, and will order at least 5 bags at a time to avoid the shipping costs and keep the price per bag down. Only complaint is the back order message I received, but our fellow egger (stlcharcoal) was all over it and got the product flowing. 
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • YukonRon
    Options

YukonRon said:
    I work about about 5 miles from the hardware store that sells it so I can make a quick trip anytime.

Lucky you. I have to drive 30-40 miles, or order it online. You will get more, it is great stuff. Have fun!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jedgeworth
    Options
    YukonRon said:

YukonRon said:

Lucky you. I have to drive 30-40 miles, or order it online. You will get more, it is great stuff. Have fun!
    It's actually 50 miles from where I live but I drive 45 miles to work so 5 more miles isn't bad
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You will like it!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I've used only rockwood since the folks on this forum turned me onto it. It's that much better than all the other stuff I tried. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    They make other kinds of charcoal????????
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    If only I didn't live in Californicate, someday I'll figure out how to reasonably smuggle some in.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Rockwood is very good, enjoy !!
    Danville, Il
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    logchief said:
    If only I didn't live in Californicate, someday I'll figure out how to reasonably smuggle some in.

I'm waiting to see some of you guys band together and smuggle some in!  I think you might be able to get a bag in place of your spare tire in the trunk!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    logchief said:
    Take it into Mexico then bring it across the border......seems to be the path of least resistance!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    logchief said:
    Take it into Mexico then bring it across the border......seems to be the path of least resistance!!
    Boy ain't that the truth
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am about 4 miles from my dealer who sells it.  I buy another bag when the one I am using is about half empty.  Haven't been cooking as much lately, but have a long cook tonight into tomorrow.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Decent but when I can buy 3 bags of Carbon del sur for 1 bag of Rockwood. It isn't 3x better. Rockwood sparks some too the carbon takes slightly longer to light but you cannot beat the price of $8 at RD
  • YukonRon
    Options
    beteez said:
    Decent but when I can buy 3 bags of Carbon del sur for 1 bag of Rockwood. It isn't 3x better. Rockwood sparks some too the carbon takes slightly longer to light but you cannot beat the price of $8 at RD
    True, I use a charcoal chimney to start mine, no issues in lighting, nor is there an issue with lingering smoke.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky