Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump Bags Are Now 10+% Smaller

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
I had one bag of Royal Oak, 10 lbs., left in the garage. So I went to Walmart today to bring home some more. The bags are now 8.8 lbs., for $6.58.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Menards has carried 8.8 lbs for years. Lucky you've been getting 10lbs! Interesting that Walmart had carried 10 lbs and Menards 8.8 lbs 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Judy,
    It's been that way for years. You must have had a really old 10 pounder squirreled away! Save it for Antique Road Show maybe? LOL
    Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    All the ones I bought at our WM was 8.8!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    WW has had the 8.8lb bags for a long time.  Every once in awhile they would get maybe one pallet of the 10lb and it would be on sale.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    my WalMart always has 8.8# bags, and my Home Depot has 17.4# bags. Pricing is same per/pound from both.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yep, I had a garage full of charcoal. I didn't know they reduced the bag size.

Kind of like the supermarket ads that come in the mail every week...they have blown up the pictures of the products really large so that they offer a lot fewer items on sale than they used to.
    Judy in San Diego
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    What I find interesting is the difference in size per bag considering both of these are 8.8lbs (I know cowboy is crap, but I wanted to try it myself and found this small bag). In my opinion RO is very light compared to most lumps I've tried which are are very dense. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Cant always judge a bag by it's size. This RO is full of small pieces, 17.6# bag.  BGE is big chunks of RO in 20# bag.  "The Good One" bags have a TON of large pieces, but don't stack like big thick bags. Their packages are longer and not as thick, but much larger pieces of lump and a hotter burn rates.  They do weigh more than the 20# listed on the bags!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Just bought my first bag of the good one today. Nice pieces so far, a little rich @29$ bag at local dealer.
    Seattle, WA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Here's a question I have about Royal Oak. Royal Oak Enterprises is a privately owned company based in Roswell, GA. But their bags are now measured in kilograms instead of pounds like they used to be. 8.8 lb = 4 kg and 17.6 lb = 8 kg. So does that mean that all their lump is made and bagged outside the US in countries that use the metric system? They primarily (only?) sell in the US and Canada so are they basing all their weights on kg for the Canadians? Is it a shipping deal where the transport industry is using metric weights instead of the U.S. customary system? And it's not just Royal Oak. I see bags from Kingford marked 20 pounds and others marked 17.6 pounds.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Get "the good one" from Firecraft for $19.95/bag.  Buy 5 bags and get free FedEX ground shipping to your door.  No sales tax! That's $1/lb delivered. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Get "the good one" from Firecraft for $19.95/bag.  Buy 5 bags and get free FedEX ground shipping to your door.  No sales tax! That's $1/lb delivered. 
    I'm tempted but I've heard the horror stories about the luggage throwing gorilla. Gonna stick with royal oak. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm tempted but I've heard the horror stories about the luggage throwing gorilla. Gonna stick with royal oak. 
    Best way to solve that is to buy it by the pallet.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.