Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CALIBRATING DOME THERMO

61chev
61chev Posts: 539
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen a site showing how to do this with boiling water i am trying this what i would like to know is where to set needle to start before putting in water and how to hold it there while returning to egg? thanks

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    61 CHEV,
    Man you lost me on that one....to calibrate, hold the tip of the thermometer in boiling water not letting it touch the sidees or bottom of the pan. The nut right behind the face, I believe is 3/8" and I find holding the therm in the water by the wrench is easiest...once the dial stops moving..turn the face of the therm so the dial reads 212°...I have no idea what you mean by setting the needle and returning to the egg....just dont turn the thermometer in the dome hole amd you should be fine....If your therm is tight in the dome hole, rotating it WILL take it out of calibration...sorry for so long winded.[p]Wess

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WessB, OTOH if you take that spring clip and place it in the trash once and for all then you'll never have to worry about knocking the thermometer out of calibration if you accidentally hit it while in the dome - it will just spin -not twist.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    RRP,
    ALL of my spring clips are on the outside of the egg. But I have seen some of the dome holes more snug than others, also gunk on the stem could cause it to bind....FWIW[p]Wess

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    61 CHEV, MAN! Do i feel stupid i was trying to hold the dial and let the stem turn thanks for the helpnow I GOTTER DONE!!

• RRP
    IMG_0114.jpg
    <p />WessB,
    I use wooden toy wheels as heat spacers, but I also have reamed the holes a tad so the probes move easily. Besides I prefer the "race car" positioning technique whereby I turn my termometer so that the desired temp will be at 12:00 so at a quick glance even from a distance (like from inside the house in the winter) I can see how the temp fares and if the needle is straight up everything is fine!

• RRP,
    Is it easy for you to Reply the model of the Tel-Tru in your posted pic? I will look at their site, but hate to select a similar, but not exact, item. Not many wooden wheels around, but maybe a Tinkertoy piece like that.[p]Thanks,
    Tom B.

• RRP,[p] Sorry ... duuhhh ... I see on the site ther BGE reference for Model LT225R.
    Thanks,
    Tom B.

• RRP
    Tom B.,
    I can't tell where you live, but here in IL every craft store carries them in their unfinished wood bins. It just so happens I stained and finished mine...kinda of an anal retentive thing don'tchaknow.

• RRP,[p] Two good ones here in St George, UT ....would not have thought to look there. Hey, I really like the look of what you did!
    Thanks,
    Tom B.

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    RRP,
    Good thinking of the 'turn the thermo so that the temp you want is vertical!! I do that with a thermo in my heat vent so I can monitor my furnace efficiency.