Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A waste to smoke sea bass?

Options
I'm thinking about converting the Bobby Flay recipe below to Sea Bass instead of Swordfish but I am concerned that the sea bass is too delicate for smoking...thoughts?

Hot Smoked Swordfish:

1 cup kosher salt

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons black peppercorns

One 4-inch-thick chunk swordfish loin, skin removed

2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil

Directions

For the swordfish: Stir together 8 cups water, the salt, sugar and peppercorns in a deep pot. Bring to a boil just to dissolve the salt and sugar; cool completely. Submerge the swordfish in the brine. Refrigerate for 12 hours.

Remove the swordfish from the brine and rinse well under cold water. Pat dry and allow to air dry for at least 1 hour. The exterior of the fish should feel sticky to the touch before smoking.

Prepare a smoker with maplewood chips and to an internal temperature of 200 to 225 degrees F.

Brush the fish very lightly with canola oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Smoke the fish for about 2 hours, adding chips through the first hour as necessary. You can keep adding chips the second hour if you prefer a much smokier flavor. Transfer the smoked fish to a large platter.

For the clam sauce: Remove the meat from half the clams and chop roughly. Heat the canola oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the garlic and chile and cook for a few seconds. Add the chopped clams and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the wine, bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half.

Add the whole clams, cover the saucepan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the clams open, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the butter. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped parsley and lemon zest. Taste, and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over and around the smoked swordfish, and scatter the parsley leaves on top.

Ingredients

White Clam Sauce:

2 dozen littleneck clams

2 tablespoons canola oil

3 cloves garlic, mashed to a paste with a little salt

1 small serrano chile, finely diced

1 cup white wine

1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus a handful leaves for garnish

Zest of 1 lemon

Salt and freshly ground black pepper
LBGE in Northern VA

Comments

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    I do think that you would need to be careful to not smoke it too much, but I've smoked stuffed snook before and it came out really good. I find it to be a fine line with smoking light, white fish. They'll take a little, but they're really easy to overdo.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm sure it might be ok but seems like a waste for such a nice piece of fish.
    Kinda like making tacos out of Kobe Beef. Extreme example. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking about no smoke and just cedar planking it, but still doing the clam sauce
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    rmercier said:
    Yeah, I was thinking about no smoke and just cedar planking it, but still doing the clam sauce
    Now that sounds good...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    ....annnnd I will still do the chopped clams, but instead of doing the whole clams, I will do mussels. Yum
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • gabriegger
    Options
    I've cedar planked sea bass once or twice before.  Excellent results. 

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Simply grilled sea bass is awesome. Let the fish fend for itself, go very light with the seasoning or none at all. Sea bass is the filet of the ocean in my opinion. And costs as much. We love it and save it for special occasions. S&P, and a pat of butter, that's all I do.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA