Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Thanksgiving on the small

Options
FlashkaBob
FlashkaBob Posts: 373
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
Another Thanksgiving comes to a close. The wife and I spent the weekend camping at our local provincial  park. We invited the kids up on Sunday to a turkey dinner cooked on a small BGE. The bird was a 12 pounder. Pre-heated the egg to 325 and stabilized it with the bbq guru. placed the turkey directly on the grill and pit temp immediately dropped to 245. I couldn't let the guru try to bring the temp back up because the size and temp of the bird was interfering with the pit probe readings. I had to depend on the dome thermometer for a while as it was still reading 300*. I slowly brought the temp back up on the guru by raising it 10* above what was indicated until it stabilized and then raised another 10* and so on. I took the turkey out after 2 hours and 20 minutes with the lowest internal temp being 170* (I know, overcooked) but her kids are used to the wife's cooking so I caved in. It came out perfect with a very slight hint of smoke. All I can say is that it was fantastic!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Certainly looks good. The best turkey I ever cooked was done on the egg a few years ago. I had brined it using Alton Brown's brined turkey recipe
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    @GregW
    Thanks It was eggsellent.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Looks awesome. Happy thanksgiving brother. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    Thanks brother, and may you have lots to be thankful for as well

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving and way to maximize the SBGE.  Great cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    @lousubcap
    Thanks, 12 pound turkey is the maximum size to fit on a small.