Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meater on kickstarter

Options
2»

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Well that looks awesome

XLBGE 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    CTMike said:
    @onedbguru What are you cooking above 527F that would need a probe???
    A reverse sear on a dry-aged ribeye comes to mind. 
    Why would you need a probe in during the high temp sear of a reverse sear?
    You should already be at your desired temp with the lower temp roasting and the sear is only for color and crust.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I've never heard of many cooks going 600F for steaks like @onedbguru mentioned. What's the process for that?

Easy.  Light charcoal. open up the vents, let it climb to 550-600.  Throw on the 1.5" steaks/chops  3-4min/side medium rare - medium (I prefer more rare) and it's STEAK TIME!!!!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I want one.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    CTMike said:
    You should already be at your desired temp with the lower temp roasting and the sear is only for color and crust.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I've never heard of many cooks going 600F for steaks like @onedbguru mentioned. What's the process for that?
    The way I do steaks now is to smoke low and slow over hickory until internal temp hits 95-100F, pull and let rest while I get the Egg up to 700F or so, then sear for about 45 seconds per side or so. 

Don't get me wrong, I sprung for 4 probes and the block, but it would be nice if it could handle a higher ambient temp as SWMBO is not a fan of medium rare. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    just got a 4 block. wireless got me + the app.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • GrillinSailor
    Options
    Who's going to write the interface to CyberQ?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's a very cool concept.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Photo Egg said:
    CTMike said:
    The way I do steaks now is to smoke low and slow over hickory until internal temp hits 95-100F, pull and let rest while I get the Egg up to 700F or so, then sear for about 45 seconds per side or so. 

Don't get me wrong, I sprung for 4 probes and the block, but it would be nice if it could handle a higher ambient temp as SWMBO is not a fan of medium rare. 
    @CTMike,  sounds like you got it down and if your wife wants medium, just do a minute a side.  I used to get my XL to 700, cook 2 minutes each side, pull them to the edge, close the vents and wait about 2 to 3 minutes for rare-medium rare and 4 minutes for medium.

Now I use GrillGrates and only have to get the XL to 400-450 and the grates are around 650- 700.  I don't usually use a temp gauge to check stakes unless it is 2" thick or a full beef tenderloin.  That I cook slowly to 133 and let rest or 115 and sear. 

I am trying to decide whether to get the 2 probes or 4.  The nice thing about the 4 is you can have two eggs going at the same time.  It what ever SWMBO says is ok.  My current dual change is crapping out.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I signed up for the 4 probe with the meat block charge WiFi extender yesterday for $169+shipping.  I got an email today that they have enough money and are now in production to make them.  Can't wait tell January now.  It would be nice when you are using more then one cooker and multiple pieces of meat.  Would great for BBQ completions too. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.