Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions?

Options
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    No way just too much to read! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I would give an opinion if anyone gave a sh!t. But usually no one cares. Opinions are entrenched. So, roll on

i'll just say, resting meat really means letting it cool, because cool meat retains juices. Juices don't 'redistribute'. That's possibly the oldest and least logical food myth

food science is well studied. the colder it is, the less juice on the plate

my personal opinion. Juice is overrated. It's water and fat

dry aged beef has less juice, but more flavor. Why? The water is lessened, but the flavor is left behind. "juiciness" has no value beyond advertising 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I'd love to hear more opinion on this.

But as far as I'm concerned, there is a reason that restaurants and professional cooks rest their meat after cooks.  

I highly doubt guys like bobby flay, emeril and Aaron Franklin are just suckers. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Shouldn't this go into the "I Don't Care" thread - oh yeah, we don't (but should) have said thread.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you don't care... Dont read or comment. Just an article for members to read and consider. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    obviously the facetiousness was lost in translation.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Well, I'm not a sucker but I am a sopper.  We eat our steak while it's hot, juice is what a brown and serve roll is for.. I know it's sop to rest, and I do that with pork butts, but steak, we eat and grin.  The article seems to hint Peter Luger agrees - well I doubt he uses a Publix brown n serve.  
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I prefer a rested steak.  I've eaten them while still on a grill and I've tested for 3 to 30 minutes.  I prefer a 10 minute rest.

Do what floats your boat.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Depends on how hungry I am or when my sides are ready  :|
    Jacksonville FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm my line of work there's a saying 
    "opinions are like a$$holes. Most people have at least one."

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited October 2015
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'd like to hear the stories that led to that. What condition causes more than one?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @dmw you don't want to know! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @dmw opposite of this 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    caliking said:
    I'd like to hear the stories that led to that. What condition causes more than one?
    I heard it as.. Excuses are like ****, everyone has one and they all stink! 

What do I know.. I'm just an average everyday normal guy, mutha f'er.  
    https://youtu.be/5PsnxDQvQpw
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    caliking said:
    I always heard it as "everyone has one and nobody wants to look at the other guy's."
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    caliking said:
    I always heard it as "everyone has one and nobody wants to look at the other guy's."
    I heard it as "everyone has one and they all stink but mine"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @dmw this may take a few pbr's. I'll fill you in next weekend. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I read the article a few weeks ago over on the AmazingRibs website.

Here's the link if you want to see that article with the pictures and stuff: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited October 2015
    Options
    In my research I have determined letting the meat rest makes me more hungry. I don't do it anymore, and the people eating the meat are happier. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    I'd love to hear more opinion on this.

But as far as I'm concerned, there is a reason that restaurants and professional cooks rest their meat after cooks.  

I highly doubt guys like bobby flay, emeril and Aaron Franklin are just suckers. 
    In restaurants, they don't, despite what they may say on teevee.
    edited October 2015
    Options
    caliking said:
    @dmw this may take a few pbr's. I'll fill you in next weekend. 
    @caliking Sorry, I was not paying attention, what are we talking about now? What will you be filling after a few pbrs?  :o

Options
    Does the lag between "order up!" And table delivery count?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    We had rib eyes last night and the only resat the steak gets is the amount of time it takes to sit down, put the sides on the plate, cut up my 6 year old son's steak, then I eat.  I did try a little piece that was lose right after it came off the egg and it did seem to taste a little better then when I finally cut in to it.  It's hard to eat it right off the grill and like they said by the time you sit down and eat it would have sat there for almost 10 minutes.  Now they didn't say anything about adding butter during or after the cook.  How many do this?  We have a blue cheese butter that we put on after the steak is down, but I forgot last night.  

I believe most of us cook a good steak so does it really matter.  I think a side by side test needs to be down maybe and that would be yummy doing.

Now it does seem to help brisket and pork butt, especially if it is  down well before you are ready to eat. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Alton Brown busted the "searing holds in moisture" myth.......now this?? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Does the lag between "order up!" And table delivery count?
    Yeah, I'll give them that.
    Options
    DMW said:
    caliking said:
    Lot's of conditions can cause ano-rectal fistulae. It's mostly from infection and inflammation related to that condition. I have pictures I could share...
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    gerbils are a leading cause....