Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Bologna Has a First Name...

Options
Barbeque Bologna.  I've never done it before.  I found a loaf (if that's what it's called) at GFS and decided it was time to do it.  I scored it, slathered mustard on it and covered it in Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express.  I cooked indirect at 300 for about 2.5 hours.  I didn't bother with cooking by temp because it's pre-cooked from a quality source.  A little after two hours, I peeked and saw the scores I made were pretty big, so I called it good.  Sauced it with some Stubbs Hickory I had.  It wasn't bad, but I think I would rather spend my money cooking something else.  Here's some pix.

Thanks for looking.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Looks good. I've never had it on the grill, but I'm really partial to a fried bologna sandwich with a great homegrown tomato.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That's got my name all over it..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Danielson
    Options
    You can't go wrong with Koegels
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    Buddy of mine smokes his with a mustard sauce blend and its fabulous.  Cheap steak!! Gotta love it
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I know bologna is all about hard times. But sometime it deserves some glory too. Nice job. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone - thanks for bringing the forum awareness to the bologna.  My favorite sports venue food is a fried bologna sandwich.  Sometimes it's quite a hike to find a vendor, if one is even there.  I'm sure the profit margins are right up there with the high-society groceries but that doesn't garner any respect.  Gotta love a fried bologna sandwich...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokinBuckeye
    Options
    Interesting. Maybe slice it and grill it? Possibly on a griddle? Similar to a fried bologna sandwich without the fry. This post reminds me of when I was a student at Ohio State. We used to make a road trip to the G&R Tavern in Waldo, Ohio for their famous fried bolgna sandwiches. I could go for one now!
    XL BGE, 2 22" Weber Kettles, Weber Performer, Weber Genesis

Bradenton, FL
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Smoked bologna isn't for everyone, but I really like it.  I've never smoked a roll, because it's just too much meat for me.  Having said that, I order it occasionally when eating out if it's available.  Yours looks killer!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks good..... Love me some Tennessee round steak!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks great brother Fred. We take a piece of 1" diameter pipe and shove through the center length wise. This cuts a 1" hole all the way through the center. Then you can stuff that bad boy with cheese or whatever you like. Give it a try sometime my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks great brother Fred. We take a piece of 1" diameter pipe and shove through the center length wise. This cuts a 1" hole all the way through the center. Then you can stuff that bad boy with cheese or whatever you like. Give it a try sometime my friend. 
    Holy $h!t. This might be the holy grail. If I had a seal of approval it would be all over this. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    If it's Koegel's, it's got to be good!  :)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @SGH - I've seen this cook from several folks on YouTube and nobody put a hole in it for stuffing.  I feel like a dummy for not thinking of that!  Speaking of YouTube, I like that Malcolm is an egghead now.
    Flint, Michigan
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone Looks good but that's a huge piece of meat, we would have leftovers for a month with that much meat :)

@SGH That's just genius!  I bet you can plug the ends with the meat removed using the pipe to keep the filling in.  I foresee some bologna stuffed with mac & cheese in a near future.

Options
    paqman said:

@SGH That's just genius!  
    I have my moments my friend ;)
    In all seriousness, I first saw it done by a real old black man back in the late 70's. Sadly I never even knew his name. He use to stand out beside Telephone Road by the rail roads selling Q off of old drums that he had. Chicken halves, untrimmed spares and stuffed Bologna rolls was all that he sold. The food he cooked was honestly incredible. But he is where I got the pipe idea from. Wish I could say that it was a SGH original, but it's not my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like that Malcolm is an egghead now.
    As do I my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    You guys are killing me, I'm away from my egg for 5 more weeks and Bologna has been one of my favorite cooks, after I smoke/grill I hold it in a crock pot and it works great
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks damn good Fred.  Yet I can't resist this...
    https://youtu.be/_LvaDu-pAeU
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    SGH said:
    Man see I was content enough to just get the idea of doing bologna on the Egg and then this vision of greatness. Wow!

Great looking cook OP, just curious what didn't you like about it? Seems like you were unimpressed. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the "LONEY" court.  It was on the other forum! A fun product to play with!

Loney Fattie Mac & Cheese, LONEY Blooming Onion, LONEY Fries:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1245285&catid=1

LONEY Dragon Sushi Roll:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1214365&catid=1

LONEY Baked Mac & Cheese:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1145537&catid=1
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That's hysterical!  Looks like a big ass hot dog!!  Which, I guess is what it is...

Did it get a smokey flavoring or did it taste more like hot dog?

LBGE/Maryland
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    Looks like awesome lunchmeat

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I tried that along time ago. I rolled mine in mustard and brown sugar. When I finished I had a pan that got ruined  by melted sugar and still had a plain bolonga. It was fun though.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Bologna Awesomeness with bbq flavors.  Can't get better than that!
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    That sounds delicious!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO