Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Spanish Mackerel

Options
Dixieland Delights
Dixieland Delights Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a recipe and method for smoked Spanish Mackerel (or something I could adapt). Caught a monster today and it has "I need Smoked" written all over it! Smoked Salmon several times with great success but never a white meat fish.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    dixielanddelights,
    I did a Google on - cooking "Spanish Mackerel" - and got
    a whole bunch of hits. Seems like you can cook it about
    any way you want. Here is a link to a site with several
    fish recipes. Good luck.[p]http://www.3men.com/smoked.htm

[ul][li]3Men[/ul]
  • trackman
    trackman Posts: 47
    Options
    There are some very good recipes at the 3men site. I'm good friends with one or the original 3 men (Grant McKinstry) and have sampled many of his items. Good luck with the fish.
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    dixielanddelights,
    I'm probably late on this. Spanish Macks are great for making fish spread.
    Slow smoke, indirect until firm with a fruitwood of your choice. With a big mack that should take 3-4 hours.
    Shred the mackeral and sample some.
    My latest spread has sweet relish cubes, black pepper, fresh jalapeno, fresh habanero, pickled banana peppers, pickled jalapeno and fresh lime or lemon. All of these are mixed in proportion to the meat available. Finally, mix in a minimal amount of Miracle Whip to bind it. Since it doesn't have quite enough pepper, I put a drop of Tabasco on every bite.
    By the way, I make this spread with all types of fish. Add or delete an ingredient to your taste. Add minced onion if you like.Some fish are better than others. I tried it for the first time with Spanish Mack a month ago, and swore to keep them more often. Good Stuff.