Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18# ham on

Options
Dinner for 30 tonight. Another rehearsal party at our place. Had to put this pig on a turkey lifter. Might help to take it off. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Just picked up 3 pork bellies to start bacon this weekend as well. Did the ham Egret style as always. Can't wait. 
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    My favorite way to cook a ham!!!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm thinking there are going to be 30 happy rehearsal guests. The cooking aroma will get them going even before they have a bite.

From what I understand, a piece of meat like that will cook more evenly up in the air, but not faster than is it was sitting in a metal plate.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I'm thinking there are going to be 30 happy rehearsal guests. The cooking aroma will get them going even before they have a bite.

From what I understand, a piece of meat like that will cook more evenly up in the air, but not faster than is it was sitting in a metal plate.
    It's not on a metal plate. I have the drip pan raised on the PS, then a gap to the main grate, then the ham sitting on the turkey lifter grate. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great.  Was this a fresh ham?  I am thinking of doing one and a turkey for Thanksgiving.  Did you cure it first?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Looks great.  Was this a fresh ham?  I am thinking of doing one and a turkey for Thanksgiving.  Did you cure it first?
    No it was not a fresh "green" ham. It was cured/smoked. I scored this one. Not sure if I should have or not but I wanted the paste to get into the meat more. As well as the smoke. Hour and a half in so far. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Man looking good
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Tasty food ahead.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Heck yes! :plus_one: ....Slice it up & serve w/ eggs benedict, buttered grits and bacon strips. The last and one and only ham I did last year was a green ham 18#er. It's a process but, worth it. Might do another this holiday season. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Heck yes! :plus_one: ....Slice it up & serve w/ eggs benedict, buttered grits and bacon strips. The last and one and only ham I did last year was a green ham 18#er. It's a process but, worth it. Might do another this holiday season. 
    Damn Husker, bad enough I drool over the ham......now I have breakfast envy as well.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wow- hope it tastes half as good as it looks. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Hell yeah!  Looks great!  A HOF recipe no doubt.  
    Smoking an egret-ish Kretschmar ham tomorrow via kettle a la snake method at the campground.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."