Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Attempting ribs this weekend.  Do I get spareribs or baby back?

Comments

• all depends on which ones you want to eat.

(not sure what the question is.  if you want smaller, get the baby-backs/loin back ribs.  if larger, spares.  in between, spares trimmed down to "st. louis style" spare ribs.)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Thanks @Darby_Crenshaw.  Wasn't sure if size was the only difference or if one was more tender than another.  I ended up getting 2 baby back and one spareribs.  
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Just for the heck of it, I say go babybacks - what's your plan? Turbo or long?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Spares for sure!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• We thought we would do a dry rub.  Any recommendations on spices?  Also, what temp and for how long should I cook them? 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy stevens. I am biased, but I personally like BGE's Kodiak RIver on ribs, and we've won a bunch of awards with it. But cooking is pretty important too. Many methods will get you good ribs. A good method for the first time is cook indirect, around 240, for about 3.5 to 4 hours, until you have a nice bark/crust and the rub and surface of the ribs is well browned. They won't be done, so wrap each slab in a double layer of foil (with some honey and fresh rub if you'd like) and return to cooker.

Open the foil and check them after about an hour. They should bend easily, meat will have pulled back a little from the bones, and internal temp will be 195-205. If not, wrap them back up and check again in 15 minutes.

Pull off, rest 15 minutes, sauce if desired, and serve.
    You may want to put the baby backs on 30 minutes later that the spares.

One way to do it anyway!! Good luck.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Thanks Chris!  Very helpful information. I'll let you know how it goes.  @Nature Boy 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Spares... These bad boys took 7 hours at 225-250.

• To eat my personal preference is baby back. I have a thread or to if you are looking for advice on cooking. Good luck, post pics!
  • Thanks for the tips @GalanteNate_OneEa !  We'll be sure to post pictures.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    stevens said:
     Do I get spareribs or baby back?
    I like both so i usually grab a slab or two of each. BB's are a little easier to prep and cook in my opinion. But they are both great. Looking forward to seeing your cook.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thanks @SGH  I did actually end up buying 2 baby backs and one spare to try them both.  We'll be posting photos Saturday!! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    stevens said:
     I did actually end up buying 2 baby backs and one spare to try them both. 
    This ^^^^^^^^^ is what I like to hear. Looking forward to seeing your cook. Again, I really like both, but if I was forced to chose one over the other, I would take spares by a cats whisker.   

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @stevens, as others have they both are good.  I do both, but seem to like to do spares, because after they have been trimmed to St Louis style you have some pieces left you can cook for appetizers or mix ins for beans. Don't forget to pull the membrane on the back of them.  I pock the rib meat with a fork before putting any rub on to help with tenderizing.  As for rub it is what you like and what you want them to taste like in the end.  Be careful using sugar, because to much it will give it a burnt taste.  There are a lot of good ones out there.

I like to cook my ribs between 225 to 250 at 2-1-2 or 3-1-1 method.  Two to Three hours of smoke, 1 one hour of them in foil with apple juice, brown sugar, squeeze butter and honey and one last hour back on the egg out of the foil.  The foil helps make them tender and fall off the bone, putting them back on the grill firms them up.  In the last hour to half hour you can lather some sauce on if you like.  I like using Slabs rib glaze.  This is one method I have done.

Another method is to set the egg at 275 and cook them for 3 to 4 hours telldone.  Use the bend test and check with a tooth pick to see if they are done.

You can also cook them for 5 to 6 hours at 225 or turbo at 300 and above.  

Below is a rib class I took and one of my cooks.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Great info!  Thanks for the tips! @Ladeback69
  • stevens
    stevens Posts: 27
    Getting ready to start....
  • Looks great... Good luck!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • stevens
    Forgot to post final picture.  The ribs were great! @Phatchris @GalanteNate_OneEa  @JohnnyTarheel @sgh@Ladeback69
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    I usually do loin backs, they are leaner, but spares are great too. I like to keep it simple, rub with whatever rub you like, or just salt and pepper is great too. I often add a little celery seed for a little zing. The on the Egg, starting at 230ish. Over 5 hours for loin backs, 6 hours for spares, I let the temp creep up, getting to about 300ish  the last hour or so. If you like sauce, add it the lat 30 minutes or so. I don't open the Egg until the sauce stage if I'm saucing, ar 'til they are done if I'm not. Works for me.
  • carl292
    carl292 Posts: 44
    250 grate temp for 3 hrs....  Perfect every time for baby backs
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Nice work @stevens, beautiful color and they're not drowning in sauce.  I'd certainly eat those.  There's a great rub recipie for pork at amazingribs.com called Memphis Dust, makes a lot and just save in an air tight container.  I like the St Louis cut my self.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • stevens
    Thanks! I'll have to check out that rub recipe. @logchief