Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mapp Torch problem??

Options
I've got a problem with my torch.  It is not producing the same flame that it used to.  It is a really big flame, but it is not "focused" like normal.  Not really how to discribe it, but it is like turning a hose on without a nozzle on it. 

Any suggestions?  It is less than a year old.

Thanks 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Silly question...but does it have an adjustable flame control knob and have you tried turning it? 

On mine the knob on the end screws in and out to adjust the focus of the flame. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have one and it does not, the 8000 is very hot and works fast. You can control the heat with the control knob. Very pleased with it and it will work just fine on regular Propane too. :) 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Wowens said:
    I've got a problem with my torch.  It is not producing the same flame that it used to.  It is a really big flame, but it is not "focused" like normal.  Not really how to discribe it, but it is like turning a hose on without a nozzle on it. 

Any suggestions?  It is less than a year old.

Thanks 
    Are you turning the bottle upside down?  I have that problem sometimes when the bottle is inverted
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    If you got it at Lowes or Home Depot take it back and ask for a new one. I took a TS8000 back to Lowes and the manager took one look and told the person in returns oh give him a new one they have big recall. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I'll have to check to see if it has the adjustable tip.  I removed the tip thinking maybe some debris got in there, but I didn't see anything.  I'll have to try taking it to Lowes and see what they say.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    It's been fine for the last 6-8 months.  It does the same upside down, and rightside up.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's just clogged. Spider web or some such. Take the head off and blow it out with compressed air. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    would agree with carolinaq but ive had two older versions where a seal down in the black part failed and the torch head eventually went up in flames. your version looks different and chances are they fixed that dangerous situation with a design change. did you recently change cylinders, ive seen that happen when the canister doesnt hook up properly, have had problems over the years with defective propane canisters made by worthington
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Agree w/ @Carolina Q  & @fishlessman  
    In addition could have carbon buildup. Clean it up and blow it out. And although it shouldn't matter your tank could be the culprit too. Tank should be upright when using as that will affect the flame pattern as well as @johnnyp described
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cuangler
    Options
    If you got it at Lowes or Home Depot take it back and ask for a new one. I took a TS8000 back to Lowes and the manager took one look and told the person in returns oh give him a new one they have big recall. :)
    This summer I had the same thing happen with mine. The flame wasn't focused anymore. I grew up welding and using acetyline torches and I could not get it fixed. It also would not light with the bronze tip on it. It would light with the tip off. I even changed out the bottle because I thought I was on empty. Good to know about the recall, I looked all over the internet trying to figure out what was wrong with it. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    As far as the Worthington cylinder recall goes...it's only is a problem (leaking) if the cylinder is removed from the torch.  As long as it's left screwed on to the torch it's ok.  Some cylinders when inverted upside down sputter and go out.  Others don't.  Haven't figured that out yet.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mine does it too. I just figured my bottle was getting low. I'd say mine is 1.5 years old and I'm thinking it could run out any day. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    stv8r said:
    As far as the Worthington cylinder recall goes...it's only is a problem (leaking) if the cylinder is removed from the torch.  As long as it's left screwed on to the torch it's ok.  Some cylinders when inverted upside down sputter and go out.  Others don't.  Haven't figured that out yet.
    Sputtering is from picking up liquid.  Tanks can have floating or sinking pickups to pick up gas or liquid in any position.  They usually don't have anything so they pick up gas if upright and liquid if inverted.  Best solution is to have a line from the torch to the tank hookup so you don't have to invert the tank and then you don't care about the pickup.