Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garbage disposals

Options
Daughter and son-in-law @guitarec are remodeling and need a disposal. 
I did some research and it seems waste king / in-sinkerator are the leaders.
the 8000 waste king was lauded by a gun forum I frequent.
continuous feed over batch is preferred (they will have an air-switch)

Daughters concerns are rust/noise.

any thoughts/suggestions?

thanks in advance
Swordsmn using wife's acct 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    We have an in sinkerator, not sure the model and its buried in the garage at the moment. Anyway, on of the higher end ones Lowes carries. You can't hear it run when it's empty and its way quieter than the previous model we had when it has food in it. We will never be without a disposal again!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I has an compost pile 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have a Labrador. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I has an compost pile 
    I have a Labrador. 
    These are excellent alternatives.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I got rid the the disposal when we bought this house. We're on a septic tank & I've seen to many bad thing with disposals on septics.  It would be a diff story if I was on a sewer system. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have a builder-grade insinkerator and it has been fine. It's starting to get a little sluggish but it just has a "hum" when empty. I'll probably replace it with another of the same brand or whatever Costco has, depending on the brand/model.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Mattman3969 we're on our second house with septic, maybe we're lucky. Minimize grease down the tube though. 
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    They are on sewer and prefer a continuous vrs a batch.fwiw.  Thanks for the comments folks.  
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I just removed two out of some rental units I just purchased. Neither of them worked so I just tossed them. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    I've replaced the builder grade in two houses when necessary by upping the hp from what was in there.  The beefier ones seem to have better insulation and don't jiggle or rattle as much.  If you have a cast sink that won't matter too much, but if you have a stainless sink it matters.
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks for checking @theyolksonyou , and again thanks to all for the opinions
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Be sure to check all your clearances & plumbing hook-ups. 
    Some of the larger models take up quite alot of space.
    An undersink Reverse Osmosis & a big disposer squeeze space. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I have that Waste King 8000.  Bought it a couple years ago and installed it myself.  I don't find it any louder than the 15 year old POS it was replacing.  I'm very happy with it, no problems at all.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @jimithing Your avatar reminds me of this guy's work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invader_(artist)

I would get a continuous feed unless you have young kids or idiot older kits, then get the batch feed.

Options
    I've got a middle of the line insinkerator from lowes. It's worked great for years. It's not super quiet on my triple stainless sink, but I  only run it when needed. And my house, built in 1987, has a septic and always had a disposal. Never an issue.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    they are not good for septics and because of all the low volume water flush tiolets, shower heads etc they cause problems to the city sewage as well. im betting they become illegal to sell in certain areas in the near future. grease goes in my burn pit, veggie waste in the compost, whatever is left the dog eats or goes in the trash, lake (turtles love fish guts), or wherever it serves the best purpose. cities are having big problems with systems designed for higher water flows so why add to a problem that is only going to cost you down the line
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We just got the one and a quarter HP American standard from Costco for $79. It's pretty quiet especially for being a stronger motor and no more stuff clinking around in there it gets rid of stuff as soon as it's turned on. Was also easy to install. Only downsize is it's fairly large.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have an Insinkerator Evolution Excel. Fantastic. I grind all my vegetable waste, including onion skins and pineapple rinds, with no effort. I don't grind bones but I could. The plumber said: my god, you could grind human body parts with this thing. The warranty is 7 years. Quietish. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    @jimithing Your avatar reminds me of this guy's work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invader_(artist)

I would get a continuous feed unless you have young kids or idiot older kits, then get the batch feed.

Hmmm, I think I've read about him before.  The avatar is a throwback to one of my childhood video games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Invaders

I used to play the heck out of that and Pole Position on my Atari 7800

XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Mattman3969 Septic tank here too w/ garbage disposal (I think it's a 1.25hp but, unsure of the brand). Minimizing grease is helpful whether it be a Septic w/ drainfield or city sewage. Rotten disgusting vegetation, spoiled meats, yeast cakes or packets are actually beneficial to septic ecolife. Grease, paint and paint thinners,  bleach, antibacterial soap, fluffy non septic safe toilet tissue, caustic or excessive detergents are harmful. Septic company advised us 20+ yrs ago simply using septic safe tissues is one of the main things that keep it from needing emptied more often that normal. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  As a further reference for our setup, we are getting a single basin 30" stainless farmhouse style sink.  Specifically, this one by Moen.

Would like to keep the noise down as much as practically possible.  Our builder is providing us with an "air switch" for it.

Again, thanks for all the comments and recommendations (by the way, we already have a Labrador, @theyolksonyou).  Once we are moved back in, I'll get some pictures of our new kitchen and post them.

My Best,

Eric "GuitarEC" (A.K.A. 'SASiL')
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2015
    Options
    See if that sink comes with the option of rolled edges/corners vs sharp corners for nsf. Minor difference but, better for drainage and cleanup etc. I do like this sink though. :smile: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL