Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

just a heads up - canned pumpkin shortage this year

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
Jack-O-Lanterns and pumpkins for eating are two different products. Central Illinois continues to boast of being "THE supplier" of nearly all the canned pumpkin in the USA! Libby's processing plant is in nearby Morton, IL. They can their own label besides a huge number of private labels. Due to a really wet growing season here the crops have not been good. Libby has announced that yields could be off as much as as one third this year since 90% of all pumpkins for consumption are grown within a mere 90 mile radius. Production is expected to be enough for the autumn holidays, but don't expect an abundance. A few years back I poo-pooed this warning and there wasn't a can of pumpkin to be found in grocery stores in Peoria the week of Thanksgiving! I for one will be stocking up shortly! BTW if you want a terrific dessert using canned pumpkin just holler!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    I've been unimpressed with the flavor intensity this year.  All the pumpkin pies I have had have been bland.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    Options
    I've been unimpressed with the flavor intensity this year.  All the pumpkin pies I have had have been bland.
     using cheap bourbon maybe? LOL!!!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    This is kinda OT but kinda not:
    Walked into my local grocer a couple weeks ago, they had jack-o-lantern pumpkins outside, 4 for a dollar!
    I asked a clerk inside about that, and she thanked me.  Last week I noticed that a (very small) felt-tip addition was made: "4 (lbs) for a dollar!"  
    Now I'm laughing at them!  Give me 8 lbs of jack-o-lantern!  Oh, and why not just say "$0.25 a pound"????  
     =) 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I read this earlier. We will be buying our canned pumpkins this week. Thanks.
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    @RRP let's see this recipe for a terrific dessert using canned pumpkin. I love pumpkins!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I am hollering @RRP I am interested in the dessert!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I live in Morton and let me tell you what, it smells awful in the town right now.  You have no idea what kind of smells rotten pumpkin and pumpkin sewage will do to a person.  Imagine the smells of the NYC subway if it were in the middle of the Dubai dessert wafting through your town for 2.5 months a year.  Not cool! 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    Options
    I live in Morton and let me tell you what, it smells awful in the town right now.  You have no idea what kind of smells rotten pumpkin and pumpkin sewage will do to a person.  Imagine the smells of the NYC subway if it were in the middle of the Dubai dessert wafting through your town for 2.5 months a year.  Not cool! 
    you sure that isn't the smell from the carnage CAT announced last week?
  • RRP
    Options

@RRP let's see this recipe for a terrific dessert using canned pumpkin. I love pumpkins!

THANKSGIVING PUMPKIN DESSERT

Ever since I first tasted this 6 years ago I have never reverted to baking a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving! My family DEMANDS this! RRP - Dunlap, IL

CRUST:

1 cup flour

1 stick butter

½ cup chopped pecans

2ND LAYER:

1 8oz pkg softened Philly cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

3rd LAYER

1.5 cup pumpkin pie filling

2 tea ground cinnamon

2 boxes Vanilla Instant Pudding

1.5 cup milk (if 1% then use 1.25 of 1% plus .25 of H&H)

4th LAYER

Cool Whip – about 4 oz needed

CRUST: Soften butter in M/W for 15 sec @ 70% and mix with flour and pecans. Pat mixture into 1 9x13 pan or 2 8 x 8 disposable pans. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Let cool

2nd LAYER: *

Soften cream cheese in M/W for 15 sec @ 70%. Mix ingredients together well and spread evenly over the cooled crust. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

* actually this is a REAL bear to do, but over the years I have learned it is well worth the time to do it this way…use a spoon and a spatula at the same time and drop on “dots” of this mixture on that crust as the crust is tender and will break up. Keep adding the dots and then gently connect the dots and spread them into a a uniform layer.

3rd LAYER: Mix ingredients together well and spread over 2nd layer. 

4th LAYER: Cover entire dessert with Cool Whip 

Once chilled it keeps quite well! ENJOY!!!

Note: This is far more time consuming to prepare than it may appear so best to make it on Wednesday. Once chilled it keeps quite well.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    It may already be too late.   Maybe the Canucks have already cornered the market on canned pumpkin since their Thanksgiving is this month?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Hey Ron,

Didn't you swear when this forum was started that there was no way you would ever be caught dead posting here?  I pretty much remember it that way.

Nice to see you've come to the aid of the fine folks on this side.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    RRP said:
    you sure that isn't the smell from the carnage CAT announced last week?

Good point, maybe that is why it's extra smelly this year...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    ever try the canned squash for that recipe, we tend to eat more squash pie because the sister prefers it over pumpkin. i cant tell the difference =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Botch said:
    This is kinda OT but kinda not:
    Walked into my local grocer a couple weeks ago, they had jack-o-lantern pumpkins outside, 4 for a dollar!
    I asked a clerk inside about that, and she thanked me.  Last week I noticed that a (very small) felt-tip addition was made: "4 (lbs) for a dollar!"  
    Now I'm laughing at them!  Give me 8 lbs of jack-o-lantern!  Oh, and why not just say "$0.25 a pound"????  
     =) 
    At our store it is 2 pumpkins for $10.  Pretty good size ones too.  We bought two, because my son begged me to, but I said we can't carve them yet, because they won't be any good for Halloween.  So far he is ok with it.  We did buy a fun-kin so we had one now to carve and have for next year.  

I will pass on about the shortage to my mom who makes our pies for the holidays. Thanks @RRP.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    who buys pumpkins, just ring stikes doorbell, grab pumpkin, and RUN =)
    20101104-pumpkincarving3-500jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    bad news anyway people

your canned  'pumpkin' is usually squash anyway. 

i know, i know.  you can tell the difference.  it's not the same, etc. etc.

i'm betting fishless uses "one pie" pie filling, a New England icon.  i htink they do use sugar pumpkin.

but nationally, the stuff coming out of Peoria via Libby's, is a type of squash, not sugar pumpkin
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Fidel... your words are hurtful and spiteful and do not recognize the fact that the old forum (which you apparently hold so dear) is effectively dead.  you were the reason it was killed off.  you, stike, zipperlip, and especially miniatureStephen (who I think posts here under a shorter name) were what caused BGE to shut that place down and build a new forum, where peace and harmony reign.  and where never is heard a discouraging word or profanity, or religion, politics, etc.

i for one am glad they have this new place.  the old forum had nothing but drunken arguing in the evening and on the weekends.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Shortage? Oh the humanity! :cry: 
    Sounds like I should stock up now just in case. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ahh.....the days of yore.  How I miss them so.  Freckled paperboys throwing the daily from their bicycle baskets into fresh clipped lawns and baskets of freshly pasteurized milk happily stowed in the refrigerators by sun-dressed and aproned house wives. *sniff*
    Options
    bad news anyway people

your canned  'pumpkin' is usually squash anyway. 

i know, i know.  you can tell the difference.  it's not the same, etc. etc.

i'm betting fishless uses "one pie" pie filling, a New England icon.  i htink they do use sugar pumpkin.

but nationally, the stuff coming out of Peoria via Libby's, is a type of squash, not sugar pumpkin
    Aren't all pumpkins cultivars of squash?  I read the small sugar pumpkins make a superior pie vs the larger varieties that are carved up.  I think there are thirty some different varieties grown in the US.
    Options
    And tweeves.  Don't forget all the tweeves.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Sweet potato pie is better
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    ^ opinion, with the standard caveat

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    I noticed that the Kroger in Washington was out of it this past weekend. A lady asked an employee to look for some in back, but she said she already had looked for someone else and they were completely out. Seems a little early in the season to be out.
    @RRP possibly causing a panicked run on canned pumpkin in the area.  ;)
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @RRP , has the canned pumpkin market cornered.  He's driving up hype in order to make bank when he sells into the hysteria he's created!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Fidel... your words are hurtful and spiteful and do not recognize the fact that the old forum (which you apparently hold so dear) is effectively dead.  you were the reason it was killed off.  you, stike, zipperlip, and especially miniatureStephen (who I think posts here under a shorter name) were what caused BGE to shut that place down and build a new forum, where peace and harmony reign.  and where never is heard a discouraging word or profanity, or religion, politics, etc.

i for one am glad they have this new place.  the old forum had nothing but drunken arguing in the evening and on the weekends.

I hated those drunken weekends. This is sooooo much better. And well moderated I might add

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Weekend furlough? That canadian prison system is so lax. 

• SaskNortherner
    Options
    Just grabbed the last can at Spral Mart. Made a pumpkin panna cotta. Thanksgiving weekend you just can't get too much pumpkin! 
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.